Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

GenieGo Hard Drive support?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   xandor

xandor

Legend

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:59 PM

I've searched but haven't been able to find anything on hard drive support for the GenieGo(Nomad).

Can anyone point me to links or information on external hard drive(s) supported by the GenieGo?

1 HR20-700 connected via HDMI to a Sharp 52" LCD/LED TV (Bedroom)
1 HR20-700 connected via HDMI to a Samsung 46" LCD/LED TV (Living Room)
1 H21-200 connected via HDMI to a 19" Samsung TV (Kitchen)
1 HR24-500 connected via HDMI to a 32" Vizio TV (Basement)

All connected to a splitter to an AU9 dish with SWM-5 LNB and to DECA

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,835 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:02 PM

I think generally people, have simply added a large flash drive for more storage.

#3 OFFLINE   PK6301

PK6301

Legend

• Registered
  • 315 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:08 PM

The GenieGo hase a 16Gb internal storage, so you can use any usb above 16Gb for more space..So for less than $50 you can double the space..

Sent from my GT-P3113 using DBSTalk mobile app

#4 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,362 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:25 PM

When you plug in a USB drive, it is in addition to the 16GB the box already has. So you plug in a 16GB USB drive and now you're up to 32GB on your GenieGo. And IIRC, it will format the drive when you plug it in, so ensure you don't have any files you want to keep. You can get 64GB drives for under $25, so fairly inexpensive to expand your device's storage.

#5 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 897 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:27 PM

Officially it's up to 1TB drives (I don't know why up to 2TB wouldn't be usable, but I don't have a GenieGo). I'm trying to find where that is publicly available, and not having any luck. I can't find anything that corroborates this. All of the DirecTV pages show to hook a hard drive up to it, nothing about a maximum size.

Edited by JBv, 17 June 2013 - 07:35 PM.

DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#6 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,805 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:56 PM

I think some guys tried 1TB drives and they worked, but found fairly quickly that it was a waste of hard drive.  A 32 or 64gb usb drive gives lots of geniego space.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#7 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:47 PM

I have a portable 320GB drive connected without issue.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#8 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,381 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:26 PM

I have a portable 320GB drive connected without issue.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Same here. I never get close to filling it up though.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#9 OFFLINE   Mike_TV

Mike_TV

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:59 AM

160 GB drive here that stays about half full most of the time.

#10 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:07 AM

When figuring out how much storage you might need, remember that a show will only stay in Genie Go storage as long as it's also still on the HR it came from. Shortly after a show is deleted from the HR, it disappears from "Ready To Download".

16GB of internal GenieGo storage holds about 20-25 hours of content, IIRC.

/steve

#11 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:41 AM

Given the figure of 700MB - 1GB per hour of programming, even your garden variety 500GB drive would give you 500-600 hours of programming. Now, keep in mind an average person is awake about 480 hours in a 30-day period. How could you possibly watch that much programming before its 30 day expiration? 

Also keeping in mind that it transcodes in real time, in order to fill that drive it would need to be transcoding almost constantly.

I mean it's great that the thing is expandable to a ridiculous degree but let's call it what it is.  

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#12 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,061 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:50 AM

Given the figure of 700MB - 1GB per hour of programming, even your garden variety 500GB drive would give you 500-600 hours of programming. Now, keep in mind an average person is awake about 480 hours in a 30-day period. How could you possibly watch that much programming before its 30 day expiration? 

Also keeping in mind that it transcodes in real time, in order to fill that drive it would need to be transcoding almost constantly.

I mean it's great that the thing is expandable to a ridiculous degree but let's call it what it is.  

Who says you have to watch a transcoded program within 30 days, isn't that only once it's copied to a portable device?

I have a 1TB drive on mine, and have GenieGo transcode just about everything that we record. That way if we want to take some movie or show that we haven't watched yet it's already to download in a few minutes.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#13 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,805 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:42 PM

One busy GenieGo!

#14 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,892 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:19 PM

also let's not forget that most mobile devices (tablets, smartphones) don't have that much memory to hold that much content
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#15 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,892 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:20 PM

also let's not forget that most mobile devices (tablets, smartphones) don't have that much memory to hold that much content
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#16 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,892 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:23 PM

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#17 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,805 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:29 PM

You didn't have to say it three times!

But my 128Gb iPad can carry more than any of us can watch!

#18 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,892 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:32 PM

You didn't have to say it three times!

But my 128Gb iPad can carry more than any of us can watch!

opps, there must been a glitch. 128GB is "nothing" once you start downloading apps, documents, pictures, music. I have a 64GB iPad and I have 5GB left for "everything else"
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#19 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:12 AM

Like RAD said, you want enough storage to provide choice of what you want to watch when you want to take it with you, especially when there may be multiple Genie client users in the home with different tastes. For some households that's 16GB, for other households it's more.

/steve

#20 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:04 AM

The 30 day expiration is only for recordings on the portable device.  They will stay on the internal drive/USB drive of the Nomad/Genie Go as long as they are still on your DVR.  I have some transcoded recordings on my Nomad from over a year ago because they are still on my DVR also.

I have my Nomad set up to automatically transcode every TV show that I record.  So as soon as an episode is done recording the Nomad starts transcoding it.  Then whenever I am getting ready to go somewhere I start up the Nomad app on my iPad and everything is already transcoded and waiting for me, so I just have to choose whatever recordings I want to take with me and tell them to transfer to my iPad.  I can usually transfer about 20 hours worth of recordings to my iPad in around an hour while I am getting packed up etc.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

Protected By... spam firewall...And...