Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

GenieGo Hard Drive support?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,546 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:34 AM

FWIW, I added a 32GB USB stick to my GenieGo device. That brought my total available storage up to 44.93GB. I currently  have 13 hours of programs in "Ready To Download", and my PC client system info is reporting I have 37.29GB free, so about 600MB per hour.

By that math, looks like something like this $60, 128GB memory stick would be more than enough storage to keep a GenieGO in sync with a full Genie's worth of HD recordings (200 hours).

/steve

#22 OFFLINE   nuspieds

nuspieds

Legend

• Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:15 PM

Is there a way to confirm that it is actually using the attached USB drive and how much space has been used thus far?

#23 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,285 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:48 AM

Is there a way to confirm that it is actually using the attached USB drive and how much space has been used thus far?

Not sure about other clients, but on the PC client, in the top right corner there is an info button that will tell how much total storage and how much is in use.

#24 OFFLINE   nuspieds

nuspieds

Legend

• Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:15 AM

Not sure about other clients, but on the PC client, in the top right corner there is an info button that will tell how much total storage and how much is in use.

Thanks! 

That works because I'm using  PC.

#25 OFFLINE   willardcpa

willardcpa

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts
  • LocationEugene, OR

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:55 PM

The 30 day expiration is only for recordings on the portable device.  They will stay on the internal drive/USB drive of the Nomad/Genie Go as long as they are still on your DVR.  I have some transcoded recordings on my Nomad from over a year ago because they are still on my DVR also.

I have my Nomad set up to automatically transcode every TV show that I record.  So as soon as an episode is done recording the Nomad starts transcoding it.  Then whenever I am getting ready to go somewhere I start up the Nomad app on my iPad and everything is already transcoded and waiting for me, so I just have to choose whatever recordings I want to take with me and tell them to transfer to my iPad.  I can usually transfer about 20 hours worth of recordings to my iPad in around an hour while I am getting packed up etc.

How did you set up your nomad to "automatically transcode every TV show that I record"   I can't locate this in either settings, or help, or system info.

Thanks

#26 OFFLINE   Mike_TV

Mike_TV

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:55 AM

How did you set up your nomad to "automatically transcode every TV show that I record"   I can't locate this in either settings, or help, or system info.

Thanks

Right now you have to manually select each show individually. 

#27 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:56 PM

Right now you have to manually select each show individually. 

Exactly.

I have the Genie Go client on my Desktop PC and leave it running 24/7.  I have checked all TV series that we record so they all auto download to the PC.  So whenever a show is done recording the PC client sees it and then tells the Genie Go to start transcoding it.  Once it's done transcoding it transfers to my PC.  However, the transcoded file stays on the Genie Go (or the USB drive) even after it was transferred to my PC, so after it is done transcoding it will just stay there until it gets deleted from whatever DVR recorded it.  That makes it so whenever I load up the Geni Go app on my iPhone or iPads everything is already transcoded and wiating on my Genie Go.  All I have to do is select the shows I want to transfer to that device and they start transferring right away (I don't have to wait for them to transcode since that was already done for the PC client).  So now instead of having to wait an hour and 5 minutes for a 1 hour show to transcode and transfer to my iPad, I only have to wait 5 minutes.

Edited by Beerstalker, 28 June 2013 - 01:02 PM.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#28 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 298 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:15 AM

Exactly.

I have the Genie Go client on my Desktop PC and leave it running 24/7.  I have checked all TV series that we record so they all auto download to the PC.  So whenever a show is done recording the PC client sees it and then tells the Genie Go to start transcoding it.  Once it's done transcoding it transfers to my PC.  However, the transcoded file stays on the Genie Go (or the USB drive) even after it was transferred to my PC, so after it is done transcoding it will just stay there until it gets deleted from whatever DVR recorded it.  That makes it so whenever I load up the Geni Go app on my iPhone or iPads everything is already transcoded and wiating on my Genie Go.  All I have to do is select the shows I want to transfer to that device and they start transferring right away (I don't have to wait for them to transcode since that was already done for the PC client).  So now instead of having to wait an hour and 5 minutes for a 1 hour show to transcode and transfer to my iPad, I only have to wait 5 minutes.

It's silly that you need to hack it that way; but that's a pretty awesome hack.

#29 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,546 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:51 AM

I have the Genie Go client on my Desktop PC and leave it running 24/7.  I have checked all TV series that we record so they all auto download to the PC.  So whenever a show is done recording the PC client sees it and then tells the Genie Go to start transcoding it.  Once it's done transcoding it transfers to my PC.  However, the transcoded file stays on the Genie Go (or the USB drive) even after it was transferred to my PC, so after it is done transcoding it will just stay there until it gets deleted from whatever DVR recorded it. That makes it so whenever I load up the Geni Go app on my iPhone or iPads everything is already transcoded and wiating on my Genie Go.  

Unless there's a reason you want all the transcoded shows on the PC all the time, there's no need to keep the PC client up and running 24/7. Once you've made all your "auto-download" selections, the GenieGo device will transcode them on its own. When you eventually do fire up the PC client, you'll be presented with a list of any new transcodes for downloading now or later. And as far as your iOS clients go, you'll still find those shows in "ready to download" on those clients.

/steve

#30 OFFLINE   nuspieds

nuspieds

Legend

• Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:51 AM

Unless there's a reason you want all the transcoded shows on the PC all the time, there's no need to keep the PC client up and running 24/7. Once you've made all your "auto-download" selections, the GenieGo device will transcode them on its own. When you eventually do fire up the PC client, you'll be presented with a list of any new transcodes for downloading now or later. And as far as your iOS clients go, you'll still find those shows in "ready to download" on those clients.

Yep, that's how it works for me and it's great!

While I'm away/disconnected, the GenieGO continues to do its job and when I return/reconnect, fire up the client, then I all I need to do is select what I want downloaded.

spam firewall