Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Hr-44 not recognizing external HDD

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   lucky13

lucky13

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationMaryland, DC suburbs

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:15 PM

No crow to eat.  Clearly something changed recently and apparently HR24's now support 3TB drives.  They did not in the past.

It definitely wasn't working on the 44 until I plugged it into the 24. Is it reasonable that the 24 formatted the drive for 2TB, which allowed the 44 to recognize it, realize it had more capacity, and reformat the drive for 3TB? When the 44 finished the reboot, it showed the start-up messages you see with a new drive or new software.

At this point, I have 3TB on the 44 and 2TB on the 24. I could switch the 3TB back to the 24 as an experiment, and then read the partitions off a PC to see if it's formatted for 2 or 3TB. But everything is working, and my experience with eSATAs tells me to leave well enough alone.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,929 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:13 PM

I would do the last experiment in no time ... if I would have all the equipment :)

#23 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,890 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:14 AM

It definitely wasn't working on the 44 until I plugged it into the 24. Is it reasonable that the 24 formatted the drive for 2TB, which allowed the 44 to recognize it, realize it had more capacity, and reformat the drive for 3TB? When the 44 finished the reboot, it showed the start-up messages you see with a new drive or new software.

At this point, I have 3TB on the 44 and 2TB on the 24. I could switch the 3TB back to the 24 as an experiment, and then read the partitions off a PC to see if it's formatted for 2 or 3TB. But everything is working, and my experience with eSATAs tells me to leave well enough alone.

It is entirely possible but if the 44 did repartition and format the drive you would have seen a screen that said it was formatting the external device.  I'd leave it alone and let others experiment if they are so eager to do so.

• Khuegel likes this
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#24 OFFLINE   lucky13

lucky13

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:20 AM

It is entirely possible but if the 44 did repartition and format the drive you would have seen a screen that said it was formatting the external device.  I'd leave it alone and let others experiment if they are so eager to do so.

I was hooking up eSATAs to the 44 and 24 at the same time. I might have missed the formatting message, as I was not always viewing the 44 display. But it got to the reboot so quickly, I was surprised it connected.

#25 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:51 AM

No crow to eat.  Clearly something changed recently and apparently HR24's now support 3TB drives.  They did not in the past.

Or the HR44 decided to reformat it after it was connected to the HR24.

To know for sure one would need to put a >2TB into an HR24 and then directly to a computer.

Who would be surprised if recent HR2x software was upgraded and they didn't tell anyone?  Perhaps in preparation for a new model coming soon.

#26 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,722 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:41 AM

Who would be surprised if recent HR2x software was upgraded and they didn't tell anyone?  Perhaps in preparation for a new model coming soon.

Most would be surprised, as software versions and date of install are easily found in Settings. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#27 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:02 AM

Most would be surprised, as software versions and date of install are easily found in Settings. 

I used the word "upgraded" in terms of functionality.  Obviously.

#28 OFFLINE   Griff

Griff

Legend

• Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:56 PM

The Rosewill RX-358 U3C supports up to 4tb (according to Rosewill's site); the Rosewill RX-358 V2 only 2tb.  I put a WD30EURS (3tb) in a U3C.  I had to format first in a PC before the HR44 would see it.

This was my second attempt to use a 3tb drive.  The first drive lasted one week then the HR44 started reporting "problem detected on the external storage device".  A reboot or two seemed to fix the issue except when doing a system test, then the error would report.  But the DVR continued to work fine. Amazon exchanged the drive, hopefully no more issues.

DVRs: One HR44-500 (4tb EURS external drive), one HR24-500, one HR24-200. DISPLAY: Mitsubishi DLP WD-82837 3D enabled; RECEIVER: Yamaha RX-A2000 NETWORK: Apple Airport Extreme, all hard-wired MISC: All HDMI connected; PS3; Panasonic BDP-350 BluRay/3D player; Two Sony BDP-CX7000ES BluRay 400-disc changers; Home-built 6-core HTPC; LG 2tb NAS w/BluRay burner; Pronto TSU9400 remote. Directv customer since July 1994.

#29 OFFLINE   lucky13

lucky13

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:59 PM

Well, curiosity, plus the possibility of adding at least 1TB more storage to the HR24, got the best of me.

Conclusion: The 24 does indeed support an external drive larger than 2TB.

Details:

Connected WD30EZRX 3TB drive to HR24-100. Thermaltake Blacx dock. The drive had been successfully connected to an HR44-500. See previous posts in this thread.

HR24 displayed the "formatting external drive" notice.

Confirmed connection through External Drive test on Guided Tests menu.

Connected the WD30 to a PC.
Control Panel/Device Manager/Disk Drives/WD30
Properties box/Volumes tab/Populate volumes:

Partition Style: GUID Partition Table (GPT)
Capacity: 2861588MB
Unallocated: 566MB
Reserved: 0

F: 572MB
G: 28610MB
H: 2831841MB

I surmise from these stats that the drive was formatted by the HR24 for 2.83TB of recording space, with 28.6GB for DirecTV housekeeping space.

Reconnected the WD20EVDS 2TB drive to the HR24, where had been successfully connected prior to this test.
No "formatting drive" displayed. Guided test showed external drive successfully connected. Test recording placed on drive before the test still in playlist.

Reconnected the 3TB drive to the HR44.
After I entered diagnostic mode for the guided test, the "formatting storage device" message appeared. Guided test confirmed presence of 3TB external drive. Of couse, no recordings on the local playlist.

So it appears that the 24 supports at least a 3TB external drive.

Remaining questions: Although it formats the drive to capacity, will it actually record past 2TB?

Why does the 24 reformat a drive already formatted? Do the 24/44 not recognize each other as compatible devices? We know from past attempts that recordings on one HR2x will still show on the playlst when the drive is connected to a different HR2x (although the recordings will not play).

Looking forward to comments on this.

#30 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,929 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:30 PM

that the drive was formatted by the HR24 for 2.83TB of recording space, with 28.6GB for DirecTV housekeeping space.

It's one logical partition (with real-time extension), there are storing system metadata files, logs, etc and recordings.

#31 OFFLINE   hclarkjr

hclarkjr

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:46 PM

question, i am going to be setting up a new WD AV-GP 2TB in a week or so and am curious if i need to format the drive first on my computer so that the HR44 will see it?

Cooler master HAF932, Dell 2408WFP, Gigabyte P67A-UD4 B3 REV. 1.1, Intel core I7 2600K, XIGMATEK SD-1283 Gaia, Intel X25-M G2 160GB,16gb G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 1600mhz,Crossfired Radeon HD6950, Pioneer BDR-205, Samsung SH-S243N 24X DVD-RW, western digital black 2TB,Antec TPQ-850 850W , windows 7 ultimate SP1 X64

#32 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,722 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:02 PM

No!

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#33 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,929 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:56 PM

question, i am going to be setting up a new WD AV-GP 2TB in a week or so and am curious if i need to format the drive first on my computer so that the HR44 will see it?

How/where you got the idea ?

If you like, go ahead and do format.

The DVR will reformat it anyway.

#34 OFFLINE   hclarkjr

hclarkjr

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:07 AM

How/where you got the idea ?

If you like, go ahead and do format.

The DVR will reformat it anyway.

i am basing that on when you first install an unformated disk into computer you have to go to computer management to format the disk before windows will see it.

Cooler master HAF932, Dell 2408WFP, Gigabyte P67A-UD4 B3 REV. 1.1, Intel core I7 2600K, XIGMATEK SD-1283 Gaia, Intel X25-M G2 160GB,16gb G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 1600mhz,Crossfired Radeon HD6950, Pioneer BDR-205, Samsung SH-S243N 24X DVD-RW, western digital black 2TB,Antec TPQ-850 850W , windows 7 ultimate SP1 X64

#35 OFFLINE   sfeym

sfeym

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:16 AM

The HR-44 absolutely refused to see the external HDD regardless of which enclosure was used. I finally got it to work by using a friends HR-34 to format and only then did the HR-44 see the external drive. Itmay only be my unit and believe me tried every type of reboot to get it formatted on the 44.

#36 OFFLINE   cnr1089

cnr1089

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:08 AM

I tried to get my new HR-44 to see my external SATA drive. I tried several reboots with no luck. Finally I formatted it on my Mac, then the next time I attached to my HR44 and rebooted it noticed it.

#37 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,890 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:34 AM

You guys should be reporting these HR44 eSATA issues in the issues & discussion thread so DirecTV is aware of the issues.

http://www.dbstalk.c...suesdiscussion/

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#38 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:37 AM

i am basing that on when you first install an unformated disk into computer you have to go to computer management to format the disk before windows will see it.

A full OS doesn't know how you want the drive partitioned or what file system(s) to put on it.  A DVR knows exactly what it wants so it doesn't need prompting.  If a DVR doesn't find the disk in exactly the structure it wants - partitions and file systems (and probably more) - it will reformat.

#39 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:51 AM

Conclusion: The 24 does indeed support an external drive larger than 2TB.

I surmise from these stats that the drive was formatted by the HR24 for 2.83TB of recording space, with 28.6GB for DirecTV housekeeping space.

Reconnected the 3TB drive to the HR44.
After I entered diagnostic mode for the guided test, the "formatting storage device" message appeared. Guided test confirmed presence of 3TB external drive. Of couse, no recordings on the local playlist.

Remaining questions: Although it formats the drive to capacity, will it actually record past 2TB?

Why does the 24 reformat a drive already formatted? Do the 24/44 not recognize each other as compatible devices? We know from past attempts that recordings on one HR2x will still show on the playlst when the drive is connected to a different HR2x (although the recordings will not play).

The file system is XFS with real-time extensions; the 28.6GB is metadata and the 2.83TB is the data area.

It's possible that the HR24 will record past 2TB.  Although they may not have completed work on that feature.  It wouldn't be uncommon for software to be released with partial support for a feature coming down the road.  Someone will have to try to exceed 2TB  :)

I suspect that it may be that the version or options of XFS (and therefore on-disk structure) may differ so the HR44 sees it as incompatible.  Or maybe even the contents of the file system may be different.

#40 OFFLINE   Griff

Griff

Legend

• Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:09 AM

Try it the easy way first :) .  If the new drive is not recognized, then format it in a PC ;) .

My experience......

The first 3tb WD drive in a Rosewill case failed after a week or so (see my earlier post above).  Amazon replaced the drive and all is well.  But to answer your question, in both installs the HR44-500 would NOT recognize the external drive until after I formatted it in a PC.  Formatted out to 3tb each time in the PC.  When re-connected to the HR44 the DVR then did its own format, took about 5 seconds. I don't know if this is the way it's supposed to work, but there it is. As it stands,  I can only assume it is using the full 3tb, but I have recorded a LOT of stuff and still at 90% free. 

Edited by Griff, 24 June 2013 - 10:16 AM.

DVRs: One HR44-500 (4tb EURS external drive), one HR24-500, one HR24-200. DISPLAY: Mitsubishi DLP WD-82837 3D enabled; RECEIVER: Yamaha RX-A2000 NETWORK: Apple Airport Extreme, all hard-wired MISC: All HDMI connected; PS3; Panasonic BDP-350 BluRay/3D player; Two Sony BDP-CX7000ES BluRay 400-disc changers; Home-built 6-core HTPC; LG 2tb NAS w/BluRay burner; Pronto TSU9400 remote. Directv customer since July 1994.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...