Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Hr-44 not recognizing external HDD

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,991 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:14 PM

The idea to define EHDD's problem by reloading EPG and icons from a stream sounds strange at least. I see no connection between the two dots.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   ticmxman

ticmxman

Legend

• Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:32 AM

Well, curiosity, plus the possibility of adding at least 1TB more storage to the HR24, got the best of me.
Conclusion: The 24 does indeed support an external drive larger than 2TB.
Details:
Connected WD30EZRX 3TB drive to HR24-100. Thermaltake Blacx dock. The drive had been successfully connected to an HR44-500. See previous posts in this thread.
HR24 displayed the "formatting external drive" notice.
Confirmed connection through External Drive test on Guided Tests menu.
Connected the WD30 to a PC.
Control Panel/Device Manager/Disk Drives/WD30
Properties box/Volumes tab/Populate volumes:
Partition Style: GUID Partition Table (GPT)
Capacity: 2861588MB
Unallocated: 566MB
Reserved: 0
F: 572MB
G: 28610MB
H: 2831841MB
I surmise from these stats that the drive was formatted by the HR24 for 2.83TB of recording space, with 28.6GB for DirecTV housekeeping space.
Reconnected the WD20EVDS 2TB drive to the HR24, where had been successfully connected prior to this test.
No "formatting drive" displayed. Guided test showed external drive successfully connected. Test recording placed on drive before the test still in playlist.
Reconnected the 3TB drive to the HR44.
After I entered diagnostic mode for the guided test, the "formatting storage device" message appeared. Guided test confirmed presence of 3TB external drive. Of couse, no recordings on the local playlist.
So it appears that the 24 supports at least a 3TB external drive.
Remaining questions: Although it formats the drive to capacity, will it actually record past 2TB?
Why does the 24 reformat a drive already formatted? Do the 24/44 not recognize each other as compatible devices? We know from past attempts that recordings on one HR2x will still show on the playlst when the drive is connected to a different HR2x (although the recordings will not play).
Looking forward to comments on this.

Hmmm...I received a pleasant surprise today. I am using the same WD30EZRX 3TB HDD in the same BlacX dock as Lucky13. I had done the same process, the HR44 would not recognize the external drive until I connected it to my HR24 and let it format the drive then connected it to the HR44 and it recognized it and is working well.

The surprise came when I decidedly to connect the drive to my old desktop running Windows XP to check the size of the HDD and the report came back at a little over 2TB. So at this point I assumed the HR24's 2TB HDD limit had been formatted onto the 3TB drive...bummer. After giving it some thought I decided to connect the BlacX dock to my laptop running Vista and what do you know it reported the drive at 2861588 mb, slightly under 3TB. So apparently my PC's XP report on the drive capacity was not accurate while the Laptop running Vista is correct. So do not be fooled by the limitations of XP.

Edit to add info found on a similar WD 3TB Drive at Amazon below.
Microsoft operating systems prior to Vista, 32-bit operating systems, and Mac systems prior to OSX 10.4 may not support volumes greater than 2TB. To recognize the full capacity of this drive, you may need multiple partitions. Check with the manufacturer to verify your system's compatibility.

Edited by ticmxman, 17 July 2013 - 05:14 AM.

T

#63 OFFLINE   hclarkjr

hclarkjr

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:00 PM

the new dock arrived today. up and running for 2 hours so far with no freezes or lock ups, so far!! 

Cooler master HAF932, Dell 2408WFP, Gigabyte P67A-UD4 B3 REV. 1.1, Intel core I7 2600K, XIGMATEK SD-1283 Gaia, Intel X25-M G2 160GB,16gb G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 1600mhz,Crossfired Radeon HD6950, Pioneer BDR-205, Samsung SH-S243N 24X DVD-RW, western digital black 2TB,Antec TPQ-850 850W , windows 7 ultimate SP1 X64

#64 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,991 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:51 PM

I would say again: for the only purpose (connecting SATA drives to eSATA port of DVR or PC) best choice would be an enclosure or a dock without any controller inside. Totally useless component this time.

#65 OFFLINE   hclarkjr

hclarkjr

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:42 AM

i just wanted to say thanx to all that replied to me in this thread. all is well now, the new dock worked. been running for 24 hours now with no trouble.

• RunnerFL likes this
Cooler master HAF932, Dell 2408WFP, Gigabyte P67A-UD4 B3 REV. 1.1, Intel core I7 2600K, XIGMATEK SD-1283 Gaia, Intel X25-M G2 160GB,16gb G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 1600mhz,Crossfired Radeon HD6950, Pioneer BDR-205, Samsung SH-S243N 24X DVD-RW, western digital black 2TB,Antec TPQ-850 850W , windows 7 ultimate SP1 X64

#66 OFFLINE   trw412

trw412

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:33 AM

I got the WD AV-GP 3TB AV Video Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, SATA II, 64 MB Cache - WD30EURS  and a Rosewill RX-358 V2 to attach externally to a DirecTv HR-44 via eSata.  At first, the HR-44 did not see the external HD.  So, I removed the HD and connected it to a Windows XP machine via USB.  Then I *initialized* it (I think this was the key); also formatted it to 2TB (max limit for XP), and re-attached it to the HR-44.  The 44 recognized it immediately, re-formatted it and is now using it.  All seems GREAT.  I have recorded TONS of stuff and still at 81% free.  I believe the HR-44 reformatted it to 3TB, but I have not checked on that.  (But, you can if you want.)  Anyway, it seems from my experience, and other threads, that the HD needs to be initialized and formatted on a PC first, and then connected to the HR-44.  It might only require initialization.  Happy viewing!

#67 OFFLINE   Tidalcloud

Tidalcloud

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts
  • Locationthe sticks of Western New Jersey

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:34 PM

Hey folks.  I'll add myself to the list.  3TB WD hard drive was not recognized by new HR44.  Tried about a half dozen times.  I plugged it into my iMac and formatted it.  That's it - just a format, no partitioning.  Plugged it back into the HR44 and it was recognized right away.  Whatever the cause - glad I read this thread as this was the answer.  Thanks all.

-R

DirecTV:

HR21 w/2TB external

HR21 w/2TB external

HR20 w/1TB external

HR20 no external

#68 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,491 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:17 PM

Same issue for me  HR44-700, a WD30EURS HD and TT Max 5 enclosure.  HR44 wouldn't recognize drive.  I initialized the drive in my Windows 7 PC and then it was recognized and formatted by the HR44.

#69 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,991 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:29 AM

Formatting is a process of creating meta data inside of created partitions, what is done by an initialization. How the mac os handling the drive in reverse order is a puzzle for me.

Edited by P Smith, 03 November 2013 - 09:01 AM.

#70 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,007 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:07 AM

Formatting is a process of creating meta data inside of created partitions, what is done by an initialization. How the mac os hndling drive in reverse order is a puzzle for me.

What are you talking about?  Macs don't handle drives "in reverse order" at all.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#71 OFFLINE   mrphil

mrphil

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:00 AM

Same issue for me  HR44-700, a WD30EURS HD and TT Max 5 enclosure.  HR44 wouldn't recognize drive.  I initialized the drive in my Windows 7 PC and then it was recognized and formatted by the HR44.

Ran into the same issue yesterday with the same drive.  The HR44-500 diags showed it was connected, just not formatted. (Error 3005) I only initialized the drive in Win7, reconnected it to the HR44-500, did a menu restart. The HR44-500 formatted it and it's good to go.

(1) HR44-500 w/Ethernet / AM21 / Monsoon Vulkano 010410VL
USpeed AK-68UPSHDDS-BU Dock / WD30EURS 3TB Drive
(1) HR24-500 / Antec MX-1 Dock / WD20EVDS 2TB Drive
(2) C41-100 Clients / Monsoon Vulkano 010410VF

#72 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,991 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:03 AM

Hey folks.  I'll add myself to the list.  3TB WD hard drive was not recognized by new HR44.  Tried about a half dozen times.  I plugged it into my iMac and formatted it.  That's it - just a format, no partitioning.  Plugged it back into the HR44 and it was recognized right away.  Whatever the cause - glad I read this thread as this was the answer.  Thanks all.

read this first, then talk

What are you talking about?  Macs don't handle drives "in reverse order" at all.

Edited by P Smith, 03 November 2013 - 09:04 AM.

#73 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,996 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:27 AM

What did you choose for the format?

Did it re-format on first up via the HR44?

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#74 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,007 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:08 PM

read this first, then talk

Yeah, I read it.  It's not possible for a drive to be formatted without a partition setup first, Mac or not.  You claim to know a lot about drives, you should at least know that if you know anything.  Macs do not handle drives "in reverse" as you so imply.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#75 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,991 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:37 AM

"reverse" word used for point out: drive's initialization doing by an order 1) create partitions first 2) format the partition(s) next; that poster described it in reverse order

[Windows OS added to that unnecessary tidbit - create a volume 'label' by placing time-stamp data into MBR, naming it as 'initialization' ]

you can't format unpartitioned space on drive, if you've been in IT you should knew that

#76 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,007 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:32 AM

"reverse" word used for point out: drive's initialization doing by an order 1) create partitions first 2) format the partition(s) next; that poster described it in reverse order

[Windows OS added to that unnecessary tidbit - create a volume 'label' by placing time-stamp data into MBR, naming it as 'initialization' ]

you can't format unpartitioned space on drive, if you've been in IT you should knew that

I do know that, that's my entire point!  You're the one who didn't know enough and bought that the drive was formatted without a partition and claimed it was "reverse order".  Macs format drives just like anything else that formats a hard drive.  The OP was mistaken and you just assumed it happened that way and decreed that Macs did things in reverse.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#77 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,991 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:00 AM

I did go with poster's wording, not MacOS functioning. 

Perhaps it's time to re-tune to the topic ...

#78 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,007 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:45 AM

I did go with poster's wording, not MacOS functioning. 

And you'd be wrong.  If you know as much as you claim to know then you know you MUST create a label, then a partition before a drive can be formatted.  Once again, a Mac is no different.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#79 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,946 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:40 PM

And you'd be wrong.  If you know as much as you claim to know then you know you MUST create a label, then a partition before a drive can be formatted.  Once again, a Mac is no different.

Yup, you are right.  here is a screen cap

My-Drive-3TB.pngClick for large view - Uploaded with Skitch

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#80 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,991 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:36 AM

should we continue digging the hole outside the road ?

well, the point of creating a LABEL is useless IMO; it's a optional part (just 4 or 8 bytes) of MBR or GPT;

the snapshot above telling you: the OS will create a PARTITION first, then format it (regardless how it presenting to you on the screen)

you are ppl of new generation who are just reading icons and GUI presentation without knowledge how exactly programs/code is working ... perhaps you don't need the KNOWLEDGE :(

Protected By... spam firewall...And...