Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Comcast using customers wifi to extend network

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,496 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:16 AM

They are using a guest side on XFinity customers routers to allow other customers access to the Internet. They say it doesn't affect bandwidth of the "host" customer (I don't see how this is true), and doesn't affect their data quota. You have to opt out of the program.

http://news.cnet.com...ood-initiative/

I'm not an xfinity customer, but I'd certainly opt out. The average ISP provided equipment generally isn't known for getting updated, who knows if there is a security vulnerability that allows someone to get to the other side?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,278 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:43 AM

Hmmm, this explains why all of a sudden there is an influx of strange vehicles parked in front of the house next door to mine.
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 ONLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 939 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:08 PM

Hmmm, this explains why all of a sudden there is an influx of strange vehicles parked in front of the house next door to mine.

Uhh yeah no. That is certainly a reason one would want to opt out of this. And how could it not hamper the bandwidth on your router (unless it basically had duplicate hardware and antennas in the router I would think that would be impossible)?
DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,278 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:21 PM

Well I have not seen such hardware (the gateway). But it could be that there are two "routers" in one package?
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#5 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,496 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:29 PM

You've still got one connection coming in. They seem to assume that no one is going to be torrenting.

In reality, I don't see what the point of it all is. I don't go to a residential neighborhood and want to get on the Internet. I'm in an area with businesses. So what legitimate use is really there?

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,278 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:42 PM

You've still got one connection coming in. They seem to assume that no one is going to be torrenting.

In reality, I don't see what the point of it all is. I don't go to a residential neighborhood and want to get on the Internet. I'm in an area with businesses. So what legitimate use is really there?

What does "one connection coming in" has to do with anything. at the end of the day, is all one network. Regarding the point, I guess you are not in the service industry where you depend a lot on cell service. If I had cable service, this would be a HUGE plus for me as 90% of my customers that I am installing DirecTV for, have and are keeping their cable internet service. Perhaps, if this actually works, I may actually consider changing from FiOS to Cablevision.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#7 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,496 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:56 PM

I think of this as a VLAN. Some VLANs share bandwidth, some have a minimum bandwidth guarantee. I wonder how they'll split that up. Both go through the same cable connection.

I don't trust ISP hardware or Linksys, but this is just problematic to me. Maybe not as bad as Frontier giving customers wireless routers, not telling them and leaving it unencrypted with default logins, but not good either.

#8 ONLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 939 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:46 PM

Well the one connection coming in thing is not a big deal depending on the area. My connection is 12Mbps but my DOCSIS 3 8x4 modem can in theory provide over 300Mbps down/100Mbps up. Now whether or not Cox can support that is another thing. But I really wouldn't want people camping outside my place even if it doesn't affect my performance at all (and in some ways it would, because all cable is shared).

3ug5y3.jpg

DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#9 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,232 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:37 AM

If I had Comcast, that would be another reason for me to use my OWN router.

#10 OFFLINE   grover517

grover517

AllStar

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:16 AM

I have always owned my own modem and router on Comcast/Xfinity instead of relying on their "leased" equipment. 

#11 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:08 PM

think of the bandwidth you could get by bridging all your neighbors hotspots :)

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,278 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:32 PM

I have always owned my own modem and router on Comcast/Xfinity instead of relying on their "leased" equipment.

Same reason why I love FiOS. ethernet cable straight from the ONT to my Apple Extreme router. no modem or whatever required, as long as you don't have their TV services
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,544 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:59 PM

I don't expect to see people flocking around my home any time soon. I have trouble getting a signal beyond my decks. But then again I don't have one of the "recently introduced a new Wireless Gateway that gives customers the nation’s fastest wireless speeds with the most coverage throughout the connected home." That device is what makes it possible and is described as follows:

Today we are launching a new device that solves this problem and creates the fastest in-home wireless network available anywhere in the US.  Our newest Xfinity Wireless Gateway, an all-in-one device that combines a customer’s wireless router, cable modem and voice adapter. It’s the first of its kind to leverage emerging wireless technologies that help customers make the most of their Internet service with faster speeds and better performance of their home wireless network.

Here’s how we are able to do this.  The new Xfinity Wireless Gateway includes the 5.0 Ghz radio frequency.  This new frequency is being used by many of the latest consumer electronic products (like the iPhone 5, iPad 4 and Kindle Fire HD) and results in better speed and performance from connected devices.  It also has been built to a new standard (MoCA 2.0), which allows the device to leverage a home’s existing coaxial cable network to create a faster and more efficient network of connected devices within the home.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

Protected By... spam firewall...And...