Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OTA Antenna

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:31 AM

Most viewers don't even know what stations and subchannels even exist in their market. If they have satellite or cable, they probably have never even seen, or heard of, them.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   midas69

midas69

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:25 PM

I just had an install for a genie and the guy said he'd never seen an AM21 before. I had to show him how to hook it up. The are at least 15 subs available in the Chicago area and I actively watch at least 10 of them.

#23 OFFLINE   randyk47

randyk47

Icon

• Registered
  • 814 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:05 AM

I like having the option to go to OTA so I've kept the capability available through my newer DirecTV receivers by adding AM21s. I could wire the antenna directly to the TV like I do for the seldom used guest bedroom TV but quite frankly I like being able to see the OTA channels on the guide. When the house was built it was deliberately wired by the first owner for DirecTV and OTA so it's not like I had to go out and run wire or install an antenna. The DirecTV tech who came out a couple if weeks ago to swap out my oldest and failing HR20 seemed quite familiar with the AM21s and said something like "I guess I don't need to tell you you'll need one for this receiver (HR23)." Anyhow, so it costs me $50 to get an AM21 off of Solid Signal, no big deal. Small price to pay when we get hit by the occasional heavy thunder and lightning storm that knocks the satellite out.
Elite 70" HD LED/HR44/AM21/Denon AVR/Harmony 900
Samsung 52" HD LCD/HR21/Yamaha HTR/Harmony One
Samsung 40" HD LED/HR23/AM21/Pioneer HTR/Harmony 900
Samsung 32" HD LCD/OTA
Slimline Dish
SWM16
MRV
Attic Mounted HD OTA
U-verse Internet/Phone

#24 OFFLINE   mroot

mroot

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:18 PM

I have a question for you AM-21 users:

I have the AM-21 OTA tuner hooked to my HD-DVR. I live in the Omaha area and get all over-the-air channels and sub channels just fine. I am able to record all of the over-the-air channels with the exception of 6.1,which is the main NBC feed (WOWT). It appears to record just fine, according to the LIST, but when I try to play it back, I get an instant 'KEEP or DELETE' message. All the other over-the-air channels record and play back just fine. The sub channel for WOWT, 6.2, records and plays back fine too!

I moved the AM-21 to a different DVR and it does the same thing. Does anyone have a clue as to my problem? I have been in contact with the Chief Engineer at WOWT and he assures me that there is nothing on his end and wants to me let him know what I find out.

Anyone?

#25 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:45 PM

I have the AM-21 OTA tuner hooked to my HD-DVR. I live in the Omaha area and get all over-the-air channels and sub channels just fine. I am able to record all of the over-the-air channels with the exception of 6.1,which is the main NBC feed (WOWT). It appears to record just fine, according to the LIST, but when I try to play it back, I get an instant 'KEEP or DELETE' message. All the other over-the-air channels record and play back just fine. The sub channel for WOWT, 6.2, records and plays back fine too!

I moved the AM-21 to a different DVR and it does the same thing. Does anyone have a clue as to my problem? I have been in contact with the Chief Engineer at WOWT and he assures me that there is nothing on his end and wants to me let him know what I find out.

Anyone?

You cant find one other AM21 user in the Omaha area to ask?  No friends that have a similar setup?  Omaha isnt that small a town is it?

#26 OFFLINE   mroot

mroot

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:56 PM

I wish I could. That would make the solution much easier. I'm hoping there might be someone in this area reading this!

#27 OFFLINE   dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed

AllStar

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:21 PM

Anyone?

I'm not from the Omaha area but one quick question. What happens when you try to tune to that station and watch it live?

I have a couple stations in the Minneapolis, MN Area that it states I can get but when I tune to them they are blank. Evidently my antenna is not good enough or it is not pointed in the correct direction for those channels.

#28 ONLINE   coconut13

coconut13

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:11 AM

I'm not from the Omaha area but one quick question. What happens when you try to tune to that station and watch it live?

I have a couple stations in the Minneapolis, MN Area that it states I can get but when I tune to them they are blank. Evidently my antenna is not good enough or it is not pointed in the correct direction for those channels.

What channels are you missing? I'm in that area, and can maybe help you.

#29 OFFLINE   android.cphone

android.cphone

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:56 PM

I need an ota antanna to get my actual locals the fcc has me invthe dallas market but the better news and weather info comes from ardmore ok. We have 2 local stations 30 miles away but their transmitters are a lot farther away and since locals are determined by transmitter location I can't get the more local channels Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using DBSTalk mobile app

Protected By... spam firewall...And...