Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

ctv on dn

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TheSpider

TheSpider

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:31 PM

i was wandering if dare was anyway to get ctv on dish network even if it mint by an extra fee. if knot this is something maby they should look at adding

dan

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,531 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:30 PM

First off, keyboards are cheap.

Second, what is CTV by your definition?  I can think of several things it could be.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#3 OFFLINE   rlamp1

rlamp1

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:55 PM

CTV (Candian Network) would have to be carried by Bell (or another Canadian carrier)

#4 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,817 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:33 PM

The only way it could be added is if the station is listed as a significantly viewed local in select border counties.

CTV's schedule has changed a lot in the past few years, the Canadian shows that were a staple of their primetime lineup like Corner Gas and Canadian Idol ended, Degrassi moved to MuchMusic and the rest is US programming. Daytime is mostly syndicated US talk shows like Live with Kelly and Michael, Ellen, Dr. Phil, Dr. Oz and ABC's The View, late night is encores of the Daily Show, Colbert and Conan. There's very little content they could clear on a national basis in the USA outside of Canada AM, eTalk, the Marilyn Denis Show, W5 and the evening news.

Edited by KyL416, 18 June 2013 - 07:38 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 652 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:59 PM

Chicagoland TV maybe then?

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

#6 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:56 PM

With the exception of CBC, most Canadian broadcast networks are full of the same programs we get here in the U.S.A. just all mixed up (I.E. the FOX line up with some on CTV, some on Global the rest on "E", "CH", The New Net or whatever they are calling their nets now (I used to get them at times when they were still analog but not since they went digital).

The only Canadian network that would make sense "importing" would be CBC.  Perhaps they couild do what BBC did, have a "CBC America" (I know that that name wuld never fly as they too see themselves as "Americans").

An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#7 OFFLINE   mwdxer

mwdxer

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts
  • LocationSeaside Oregon

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:35 PM

The CBC would be nice or CBC Newsworld. Also BBC World. We have CCTV and Russia today. So why not a bundle of International news channels in English?

Patrick

#8 OFFLINE   Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 296 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:51 PM

The CBC would be nice or CBC Newsworld. Also BBC World. We have CCTV and Russia today. So why not a bundle of International news channels in English?

Patrick

mwdxer,

I have added a request on your behalf to have; CBC and CBC News World added to our DISH programming lineup!

#9 OFFLINE   jamelar

jamelar

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:44 PM

mwdxer,

I have added a request on your behalf to have; CBC and CBC News World added to our DISH programming lineup!

Add my name to CBC request. I used to watch the CBC quite regularly when it was available in analog C-Band.

And BBC World while your at it. TIA

#10 OFFLINE   mwdxer

mwdxer

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts
  • LocationSeaside Oregon

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:36 AM

Thank you for adding the request for the channels. Much appreciated.

Patrick

#11 OFFLINE   Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 296 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:25 PM

Add my name to CBC request. I used to watch the CBC quite regularly when it was available in analog C-Band.

And BBC World while your at it. TIA

jamelar,

Your name has been added as well for the CBS and BBC, if you have any further request please let me know and I am happy to add them!

Thanks

#12 OFFLINE   Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 296 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:26 PM

Thank you for adding the request for the channels. Much appreciated.

Patrick

Patrick,

You’re more than welcome and thanks for your input into what you would like to see on DISH!

#13 OFFLINE   l'Aucherie

l'Aucherie

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:07 PM

Yes, Dish should have an "International English" bundle, perhaps on 118 along with the other international channels.  As well as BBC World and one or both of the Canadian news channels (CBCNW and CTVN), consideration should be given to France 24, Aljazeera English (NOT America), Euronews, Skynews, Russia Today, DW (Germany) in English and possibly the South African, Australian and Chinese English all news channels.  I would certainly subscribe to such a package as I am sure would many of the tens of thousands English speaking expats in the U.S.  Add to that similar numbers of Americans wanting a diverse source of news about the world and I am sure Dish would have a winner!

#14 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:28 PM

Yes, Dish should have an "International English" bundle, perhaps on 118 along with the other international channels.  As well as BBC World and one or both of the Canadian news channels (CBCNW and CTVN), consideration should be given to France 24, Aljazeera English (NOT America), Euronews, Skynews, Russia Today, DW (Germany) in English and possibly the South African, Australian and Chinese English all news channels.  I would certainly subscribe to such a package as I am sure would many of the tens of thousands English speaking expats in the U.S.  Add to that similar numbers of Americans wanting a diverse source of news about the world and I am sure Dish would have a winner!

I agree that international English language nets need to be added,  NOT ON 118!  If it's in English it should be on one of the "core" sats.

Also, please add my name to the request for CBC.  I used to get it on cable back in the 80's. 

BTW: I don't believe any "border" DMA's get any Canadian stations (they do on the Mexican border but those stations carry a U.S. network).  Not even Detroit, where CBET-9 is programmed differently than the rest of the CBC stations (i.e. they took off the few U.S. syndicated shows that CBC carries so that the station would be compatible with Detroit cable systems).  If I was in the Detroit DMA I would specifically ask for that station.

#15 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,817 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:35 PM

It would be hard for Dish to do it outside of border areas like Detroit, Seattle, Buffalo and other northern areas where some Canadian stations are on the significantly viewed lists so they wouldn't be subject to blackout. For much of their programming the CBC only has the Canadian rights, especially when it comes to the movies, sports, imported shows from the UK and shows they sold to 3rd parties for international distribution. The movies are with various distributors, UP has the rights to Heartland, Live Well has the rights to Steven and Chris, Trifecta has the distribution rights to the Republic of Doyle, NHL has the rights to Hockey Night in Canada, NBC has the rights to the playoffs, Hulu has the exclusive rights to Coronation Street, much of the kids programming is held by other preschool networks like PBS and Nick Jr, some of their non NHL sporting events are held by Universal Sports. CBC could make an American feed with programming they can clear nationally, which they did at one point with Trio and Newsworld International, but budget cuts forced them to sell those networks in the early 2000s, and a lot more cuts have happened since then. They even lost the rights to produce Hockey Night in Canada to Rogers who will now have creative control next season and CBC will just air whatever Rogers lets them air as part of a sublicensing agreement.

CBC News Network cannot be offered in the USA because of the documentaries and other programming they air in the evenings and overnight, you'd have a better chance of getting CTV News Channel where it is all in house.

Al Jazeera English is up to Al Jazeera itself to reconsider their decision. They pulled the network from the few US providers and OTA stations that carried it when Al Jazeera America launched, encrypted their free to air satellite feed and geoblocked the stream.

ABC News 24 cannot be offered outside of Australia because their license for much of the 3rd party content they use to fill time between simulcasts and encore presenations is licensed for Australia only. They make a point of this on their website.

Edited by KyL416, 02 December 2013 - 03:37 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:39 PM

Back in the 80's there was Fraggle Rock on CBC.  In the U.S. it was on HBO.  Since my cable system carried CBC that program was available w/o an HBO subscription.  Then there was a live Who concert on Pay Per View.  It came in for free on CBC, explicates and all!  They did not break for a commercial for over an hour! Then there was SCTV - in prime time on CBC, it was on at 1 AM in the U.S.A., also they did a different version for Canada.  No blackouts or "sim-sub", just a variable quality in reception (the station was 110 miles due north, however the 1st 60 miles was Lake Erie so no ground clutter to interfere).  The cable company had a short tower, about the height of today's cell towers, with a quad-stacked yagi for ch 10.

I miss CBC!

#17 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,346 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:06 PM

It would be hard for Dish to do it outside of border areas like Detroit, Seattle, Buffalo and other northern areas where some Canadian stations are on the significantly viewed lists so they wouldn't be subject to blackout.

I agree with the rest of your post outlining why we won't get Canadian channels on US satellite ... but it annoys me when cable can and satellite cannot. Whatever law allows the local cable company to carry a channel should allow satellite to carry the channel.
  • otnipj3s likes this
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#18 OFFLINE   jamelar

jamelar

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:17 PM

I agree with the rest of your post outlining why we won't get Canadian channels on US satellite ... but it annoys me when cable can and satellite cannot. Whatever law allows the local cable company to carry a channel should allow satellite to carry the channel.

What gets me is the US networks are carried on the Canadian systems, but for some reason recipricacy is not allowed!

• levibluewa likes this

#19 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,531 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:36 PM

Basically, the lawyers need to get out of the mix and let the systems focus on serving the viewers.

MPAA, RIAA and other such rackets are destroying the business.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#20 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,817 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:38 PM

What gets me is the US networks are carried on the Canadian systems, but for some reason recipricacy is not allowed!

In Canada you rarely see the full US networks. If a Canadian channel is airing a program at the same time as the US station it is replaced with a simulcast of the Canadian network. Even the Superstations like WGN, WPIX, WPCH, WSBK and KTLA get programs replaced. The only thing you do see is local news, the morning shows like GMA and Today, infomercials, select syndicated series as long as a Canadian station isn't airing the syndicated strip at the same time, Jimmy Kimmel Live since City still airs it at midnight, and the occasional freshman series that hasn't been picked up by a Canadian network yet.

Edited by KyL416, 02 December 2013 - 06:42 PM.

spam firewall