Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Site Survey Before Placing Order?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dcandmc

dcandmc

Legend

• Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:35 PM

After being with DirecTV for 17 years, I would like to switch to Dish in December after my DirecTV commitment has expired.  I have tall trees all around my property, and while my DirecTV signal is good, I know that the Dish sats are in different orbital slots and therefore I might not necessarely have the same LOS with Dish.  I would like to get a Dish site survey this summer, while the leaves are on the trees, to determine if I can get a good signal in the most difficult conditions.  If a summer site survey shows good LOS, I would then place an install order in December.  Tonight, a chat with a Dish sales rep informed me that this strategy is not possible, because a site survey can only be done in conjunction with an install.   Does anyone know of a way to get a Dish site survey done this summer, so I can be ready to switch in December?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 819 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:38 AM

I think you strategy is a very good one.  I can understand Dish Corporate not wanting to pay their installer's fee just to come out and do a site survey though.  My suggestion would be work with a local installer. So find a Dish retailer who does his own installs, explain your situation, and offer to pay for him to check your site when he's in your area.  Would you feel comfortable letting him do it at his convenience and send you a report on his suggested dish location?

If you are flexible on timeline so he doesn't have to spend a lot of extra time getting to your location it shouldn't cost you much.  If he's smart he'll offer to give you credit against a December order.  You may prefer not to lock yourself in with him for the order now so you still have the option of dealing directly with Dish Corporate later.  In that case, just tell him you'll pay him fair value for his work now.  

I became a Dish customer in the 90s because I tried to have another company's service installed (Prime, or something like that. I think a predessor of Direct.)  When they couldn't find a mounting location because of my trees the owner of the local franchise suggested I try a new company she'd just begun representing - DISH - which had a different satellite location.  Been with them ever since.

#3 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,302 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:47 AM

place the order as usual. when the installer gets there he will check, then you can cancel with no penalties
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 819 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:38 AM

place the order as usual. when the installer gets there he will check, then you can cancel with no penalties

I think he wants to wait until December to switch but wants the site checked while the leaves are on the trees.  That's a good idea.  Maybe he has a Direct contract he can't break now without a big fee.  

#5 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 295 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:58 AM

Go to www.dishpointer.com and do your own survey.

#6 OFFLINE   dcandmc

dcandmc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:04 AM

Go to www.dishpointer.com and do your own survey.

Not nearly as precise as I need it to be.

#7 OFFLINE   dcandmc

dcandmc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:04 AM

I think he wants to wait until December to switch but wants the site checked while the leaves are on the trees.  That's a good idea.  Maybe he has a Direct contract he can't break now without a big fee.  

Yes, that's all correct.

#8 OFFLINE   dcandmc

dcandmc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:12 AM

The sales CSR that I was chatting with last night kind of suggested this.  However, I would feel uncomfortable doing this.  If I was the installer, I would be pissed if I showed up for a job with all the equipment to do a complete installation, and then found out that the customer basically submitted a fraudulent order because he only wanted a site survey.  Maybe if any installers read this, they can comment.

The sales CSR also suggested that I contact a local retailer to ask about getting a site survey done, which I thought was a good idea.  I asked for contact information for local Dish retailers, and she gave me about 10 different businesses, all in New York state, which is three states away from me.  Not very useful or practical, and definitely not local.

#9 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:14 AM

After 17 years with Direct (assuming they haven't done anything to terrible to you) would waiting till spring (and the trees leaf out) be that unpleasant ?  

Dish will still be there, and maybe they will have the Hopper Koala series II Prime Time Top100 retina command 10Tb receiver perfected by then.

Just a suggestion.

#10 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,671 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:31 AM

Can you suspend dish service like you can DIRECTV? Maybe have then come out and install and use it for say a month and suspend your DIRECTV for the month. Then swap, suspend dish and finish out your contract with DIRECTV while dish is suspended. I have to wonder why you want to switch after 17 years to be honest. But no matter what id have them install and just suspend for a month the dtv when you do just to make sure you are really going to like it. And heck dish may offer you money to pay the eft. You never know unless you ask.

#11 OFFLINE   dcandmc

dcandmc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:44 PM

Can you suspend dish service like you can DIRECTV? Maybe have then come out and install and use it for say a month and suspend your DIRECTV for the month. Then swap, suspend dish and finish out your contract with DIRECTV while dish is suspended. I have to wonder why you want to switch after 17 years to be honest. But no matter what id have them install and just suspend for a month the dtv when you do just to make sure you are really going to like it. And heck dish may offer you money to pay the eft. You never know unless you ask.

I asked Dish about paying the ETF; I was told that they don't do that.  My reason or reasons for wanting to switch after 17 years with DirecTV are immaterial.  As far as I know I cannot "try" Dish network while my DirecTV service is suspended, and then cancel Dish without penalty if I don't like it.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

#12 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,302 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:49 PM

. Maybe if any installers read this, they can comment.

I am an installer myself, while this would piss me off, this is no different than a job cancelled due to no line of sight. after all, you would not be the first one doing this and def not the last one
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   dcandmc

dcandmc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:38 PM

I am an installer myself, while this would piss me off, this is no different than a job cancelled due to no line of sight. after all, you would not be the first one doing this and def not the last one

Well, I would rather do this without pissing anyone off.  If I scheduled an install now just to have a site survey done with leaves on the trees, I would end up cancelling the install even if the survey shows good LOS.  I would prefer that everything be on the up and up.

#14 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,671 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:52 PM

Well, I would rather do this without pissing anyone off. If I scheduled an install now just to have a site survey done with leaves on the trees, I would end up cancelling the install even if the survey shows good LOS. I would prefer that everything be on the up and up.

This Is why I said look into suspending the dish account shortly after its installed. Lets you get it all installed and not use it till you finish your commitment.

#15 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,302 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:02 PM

This Is why I said look into suspending the dish account shortly after its installed. Lets you get it all installed and not use it till you finish your commitment.

but wouldn't suspending the DN account be suspending the contract as well?
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#16 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,671 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:48 PM

but wouldn't suspending the DN account be suspending the contract as well?

Sure. Like I said suspend DIRECTV for a month and use dish. Then suspend dish til you are done with the dtv contract. You might even pay the $20 or so for the last month and get out earlier if you hate DIRECTV for some reason.

But overall over the course of the next two years from today there will be no difference on when the total of the two contracts end.

#17 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,503 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:47 AM

I asked for contact information for local Dish retailers, and she gave me about 10 different businesses, all in New York state, which is three states away from me.  Not very useful or practical, and definitely not local.

Have you tried the phone book?  You know, that big yellow thing?

My mailbox is usually jammed with local installer spam/junk mail.

And of course, there's this web thing called a search engine that finds all sorts of things including local businesses in a lot less time that this thread has existed.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#18 OFFLINE   dcandmc

dcandmc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:16 AM

Have you tried the phone book?  You know, that big yellow thing?

My mailbox is usually jammed with local installer spam/junk mail.

And of course, there's this web thing called a search engine that finds all sorts of things including local businesses in a lot less time that this thread has existed.

Your sarcasm is neither necessary nor helpful. The part of my post that you quoted was simply showing the result I got when the Dish rep offered to identify "local" retailers for me.

#19 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:00 AM

I think you are making this harder than it needs to be. Realizing the difference between summer and winter is good planning and I agree dishpointer is not to be relied on, it's wrong from my location in Ct.

But you can do it very reliably and easily yourself. Use a very inexpensive lensatic compass, I can tell you from experience with dense trees I was able to determine an opening big enough for 119/110 and knew I would not get 129, and was able to see both where 61.5 and 72.7 would be. 

There are excellent apps for tablets/smartphones that work very well, some show the actual spot of the satellites you are looking at. 

If you don't think you are capable of getting a good read, I also have to say, I think you are dismissing what many people have done in the past, just call as suggested using the YP or internet to find an installer. Very likely they will come especially if you can be a little flexible and they can take a ride over from another job. Then give them something for their trouble, and all will be happy. 

Edited by tampa8, 20 June 2013 - 11:03 AM.

• VDP07 likes this

#20 OFFLINE   dcandmc

dcandmc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:56 AM

I think you are dismissing what many people have done in the past, just call as suggested using the YP or internet to find an installer. Very likely they will come especially if you can be a little flexible and they can take a ride over from another job. Then give them something for their trouble, and all will be happy. 

I'm not dismissing finding a local (as in, someone actually in my state) installer, and that is certainly a viable option.  My goal in starting this thread was to ask what others have done in a similar situation, when a Dish sales rep has told me that getting a site survey can only be done in conjunction with an installation, and I would like for those two events to be spaced several months apart.

My situation is such that estimating with a compass or using an app (if I had a smart phone or tablet) would likely not be accurate enough to establish good LOS.  That's just the way it is, and unless you're standing on my deck looking to the southwest, you can't fully appreciate the topography.  I could break out my chain saw, but before I do so I want to know exactly what has to come down.

spam firewall