Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Site Survey Before Placing Order?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:02 PM

A Dish rep is not the final word.  All they would do is send a local installer.

If you're near any kind of a town at all, there should be several companies within 50 miles.  I'm out in the sticks and I could get one here in a day or so with a couple of local phone calls.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:34 PM

This somewhat begs the question of why you are switching from a working service (DirectTV). 

It would seem you other options would be to do a Dish install in September hopefully before your leaves fall where you are located and pay the couple extra months for a lower level service and then upgrade the service in December assuming it worked. 

Alternatively you could just extend  your Direct Service on a month to month basis until next spring when the trees have leaves again. 

It sounds like the only way you are going to get an early site survey is to hire a local guy to do it for you.  Dish is not going to do it unless it is along with an install order which in all honesty is a pretty reasonable request for a business to make.  It would be difficult to get  someone to come out and give you a landscape plan for your property without some sort of contract to pay them for it when they give you the plan.

Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#23 OFFLINE   dcandmc

dcandmc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:24 PM

This somewhat begs the question of why you are switching from a working service (DirectTV). 

It would seem you other options would be to do a Dish install in September hopefully before your leaves fall where you are located and pay the couple extra months for a lower level service and then upgrade the service in December assuming it worked. 

Alternatively you could just extend  your Direct Service on a month to month basis until next spring when the trees have leaves again. 

It sounds like the only way you are going to get an early site survey is to hire a local guy to do it for you.  Dish is not going to do it unless it is along with an install order which in all honesty is a pretty reasonable request for a business to make.  It would be difficult to get  someone to come out and give you a landscape plan for your property without some sort of contract to pay them for it when they give you the plan.

Why does it make any difference why I want to switch from a "working service"?  My reason or reasons for switching to Dish are irrelevant.  If Dish doesn't "work" at my location (i.e. no LOS), then I won't switch.

My preference is to not pay for two services at the same time (or to have two sets of equipment at the same time and competing wiring plans) and to not pay an ETF.  If a local installer will do a site survey only for a reasonable fee, that is certainly an option.  The other option is to wait until a year from now when I am not under an ETF and Dish can do a site survey with leaves on the trees and an install at the same time (assuming good LOS).

#24 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,970 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:40 PM

If you are willing to use a chain saw I see no worry about switching in the winter myself. If you start to have some breakup in the spring you could do some trimming them.

#25 OFFLINE   dcandmc

dcandmc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:38 PM

If you are willing to use a chain saw I see no worry about switching in the winter myself. If you start to have some breakup in the spring you could do some trimming them.

I'm willing to use a chain saw if I'm certain that the tree or branch that I'm targeting is blocking a signal.  When I got DirecTV back in 1996, I spent several frustrating days trying to identify signal blocking trees, and in the process I took down some trees that didn't need to come down.  Also, there are a few trees that cannot (for various reasons) be removed.  If I switch to Dish in December and find out in June next year that one or more of those trees is an issue, that will be a problem.  Having a definitive site survey done before making a switch will avoid these problems.

#26 OFFLINE   dcandmc

dcandmc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:00 PM

I'm working on contacting a local installer.  Most search engine hits provide a toll-free number that seems to be a clearinghouse for local install orders.  The most recent call was interesting.  The rep said that if I have a good DirecTV signal I shouldn't have any problem with Dish LOS because "Dish has way more satellites than DirecTV" and the signal from Dish satellites is "much stronger" than the signal from DirecTV.

#27 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,162 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:41 PM

"Dish has way more satellites than DirecTV" and the signal from Dish satellites is "much stronger" than the signal from DirecTV.

Wow, that is funny. :rolling:
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#28 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,970 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:15 PM

And pure bs. The number of satelites means nothing it's all about where their signals are coming from as we all know. Luckily that sounds like a sales person and not an installer. At least I hope!!!

#29 OFFLINE   dcandmc

dcandmc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:46 PM

So, I've had comms with a local installer, and it sounds like he's willing to do a site survey at no cost if/when he has a truck in my area for other business.  A dedicated appointment would cost $50, which seems reasonable.  I have time, so I can wait and see if my schedule and his match up with another nearby appointment.

#30 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,970 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:40 PM

Well sounds like they are going to work with you which is great.

spam firewall