Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HBO GO and AppleTv

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   rsonnens

rsonnens

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:54 AM

I am now happy.

HR44 ->Denon 4310 -> Sony 4K 
mini-genie -> Samsung 5000

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,568 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:58 AM

Would love for all those who would lecture everyone else every time the HBO Go and Roku issue was brought up that "Directv would never do this because it is competition", that "Directv doesn't have to do it", etc. etc --- to chime in now.

Why? Maybe DirecTV is partnering with Apple on some items. You are assuming Roku and Apple are equal vis a vis DirecTV. Bad assumption in business.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#23 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,240 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:42 AM

I set up my Apple TV to use HBOGo yesterday with my Verizon FiOS account. Verizon FiOS has excellent VOD, but the available HBO series are limited to the last two years or so. HBOGo will let me watch all the seasons of Boardwalk Empire, for example.

I also have HBOGo on my iPod Touch, which I can stream through Apple TV to my TV set, but that ties up the iPod Touch for a couple hours.

AppleTV also added WatchESPN recently.

Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#24 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:35 PM

Verizon FiOS has excellent VOD, but the available HBO series are limited to the last two years or so.

Is it their regular VOD that is excellent?  D*'s HBO OnDemand has all seasons.  I haven't seen anything in HBO GO that wasn't in the OnDemand, granted I haven't gone looking for anything that's missing.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#25 OFFLINE   mccoady

mccoady

AllStar

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:04 PM

I am now happy.

I could be happy if they would let me activate WatchESPN :grin:

#26 OFFLINE   yanksno1

yanksno1

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts
  • LocationBoynton Beach, FL

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:07 PM

I could be happy if they would let me activate WatchESPN :grin:

I still can't activate it on my iPhone, so I wouldn't hold your breath. I'm actually surprised they activated HBO Go for AppleTV, I'm still waiting for it on my Roku. I have it by a HD receiver, and thus can't access the ONDemand. This is one area where DirecTV could really improve on.

Lets Go Yankees!!!!

#27 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:20 PM

Why? Maybe DirecTV is partnering with Apple on some items. You are assuming Roku and Apple are equal vis a vis DirecTV. Bad assumption in business.

Seriously doubt it. Mostly because Apple won't get off their high horse when it comes to some stuff. Never know though........

Edited by Volatility, 20 June 2013 - 07:21 PM.

#28 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,240 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:18 AM

Is it their regular VOD that is excellent?  D*'s HBO OnDemand has all seasons.  I haven't seen anything in HBO GO that wasn't in the OnDemand, granted I haven't gone looking for anything that's missing.

FiOS HBO's VOD lacks series older than a year or so, but HBOGo offers all six seasons of Boardwalk Empire plus full seasons of Six Feet Under and other series. But Showtime's VOD on FiOS includes all five seasons of Nurse Jackie, for example.

The regular VOD on FiOS offers shows from many channels, even some that aren't carried by FiOS. My last look at DirecTV's VOD was in September 2011; their offerings may have increased since then.

Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#29 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:53 PM

FiOS HBO's VOD lacks series older than a year or so, but HBOGo offers all six seasons of Boardwalk Empire plus full seasons of Six Feet Under and other series. But Showtime's VOD on FiOS includes all five seasons of Nurse Jackie, for example.

The regular VOD on FiOS offers shows from many channels, even some that aren't carried by FiOS. My last look at DirecTV's VOD was in September 2011; their offerings may have increased since then.

DIRECTV VOD for HBO stuff basically has every episode of all their original series.  There are very few exceptions.  All the Sopranos of all series, etc, etc

Edited by Satelliteracer, 21 June 2013 - 02:53 PM.

DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#30 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:47 PM

I believe they had 4,000 titles then and its over 10,000 now.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#31 OFFLINE   rsonnens

rsonnens

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:57 PM

I actually hope this competition helps directtv improve their UI for navigating on demand programming. I say right now it is atrocious.

However the writing is on the wall for the long term. Eventually all the content providers will manage their own subscriptions and the cable providers, and directtv, will just be data pipes. Unfortuantly for directtv sat delivery will never be great.

#32 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:56 PM

I actually hope this competition helps directtv improve their UI for navigating on demand programming. I say right now it is atrocious.

However the writing is on the wall for the long term. Eventually all the content providers will manage their own subscriptions and the cable providers, and directtv, will just be data pipes. Unfortuantly for directtv sat delivery will never be great.

Are you referencing satelite internet?  Outside of that, I don't have any issues with their OnDemand setup.  What part of it do you find atrocious?

#33 OFFLINE   rsonnens

rsonnens

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:30 AM

Are Outside of that, I don't have any issues with their OnDemand setup.  What part of it do you find atrocious?

The user interface. It is very hard to just find stuff, slow and clunky to navigate, series management is extremely poor.... To put it briefly it fails the wife test.

#34 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:08 AM

Also it's hard to use, say HBO, to watch an old series sequentially and keep track of the episodes that you've either watched or downloaded. The initial references in the guide are helpful, noting the season and episode. But the detail info screen then doesn't reveal the Season and episode, instead giving episode title and description. If you left arrow to see the S bad E numbers again you have a long wait as the data repopulates. It gets frustrating.

#35 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 845 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:18 AM

So now DirecTV does allow HBO Go on Apple TV, but they still block access on the Roku.

I'm sick of the lack of support for anything that isn't made by Apple.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DBSTalk mobile app

#36 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,152 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:39 PM

Or maybe its more like most stuff that's not apple is a lot harder to code for. Just look at the mess genie go is for the android platform right now.

And roku, I think that may be for an entirely different reason. I would love to see them make the Roku capable of being an RVU client.

#37 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 845 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:36 PM

Or maybe its more like most stuff that's not apple is a lot harder to code for.

If that were true then there simply wouldn't be any quality Android apps available.

It may be a lot harder for whomever D* has doing their apps, but too many developers would disagree.

And frankly, the reasons why D* won't authenticate the Roku won't matter to me after August. I'm going to try something else for a while.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DBSTalk mobile app

#38 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,003 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:54 PM

Or maybe its more like most stuff that's not apple is a lot harder to code for. Just look at the mess genie go is for the android platform right now.

You are spot on!!!!!

It might not be definitely "harder" but is def "uglier"
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#39 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,568 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:18 PM

If that were true then there simply wouldn't be any quality Android apps available.

Flawed logic. He didn't say impossible. He said harder. Android is an open system with all the problems that entails. There is not one android device to target. Apple has locked down designer kits and interface. Any programmer would tell you that the latter is easier. Not necessarily better because it can limit creativity. But easier, yes.

If directv or anyone else doesn't make mobile apps a big priority, they will go simple before they go creative.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#40 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,003 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:24 PM

'nough said

http://www.cultofand...gures-for-devs/
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...