Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HBO GO and AppleTv

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 861 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:43 PM

Flawed logic. He didn't say impossible. He said harder.

It isn't flawed logic. If Android were so hard that a company with deep pockets like D* can't get something workable done, how would make financial sense for any other company lacking those resources?

It wouldn't. No company would develop for Android and there would simply be no apps.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DBSTalk mobile app

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 861 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:47 PM

'nough said

http://www.cultofand...gures-for-devs/

Here is just the latest example of real developers debunking the fragmentation myth

--
Myth #5: Android fragmentation is a nightmare
They develop in Unity3D and had almost zero problems. Of 1970 devices they only had trouble with 3 devices. 2 of which were a market issue they couldn't work around but that were solved by a Google Play update so they only had to make a special workaround for 1 device that had a GPU driver issue
--
Found here:
http://www.gamasutra..._Game_Myths.php

I'm not a developer, and I'm betting you aren't either. I'll take real words from real developers in this instance.

"Nough said"

#43 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,398 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:58 PM

http://www.android-a...p-android-apps/

http://www.mactrast....-fragmentation/

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#44 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:15 PM

Yup

DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#45 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,312 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:19 PM

If that were true then there simply wouldn't be any quality Android apps available.

It may be a lot harder for whomever D* has doing their apps, but too many developers would disagree.

And frankly, the reasons why D* won't authenticate the Roku won't matter to me after August. I'm going to try something else for a while.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DBSTalk mobile app

Actually how many android apps play on all android devices? How come so many more apps are available on apple than android that play in almost all devices still in use? Market fragmentation with so may devices that need a little different encoding for. Hard to do any one android, no not at all. But hard to get every device out there to work that runs android? Yes.

#46 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,312 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:39 PM

Here is just the latest example of real developers debunking the fragmentation myth

--
Myth #5: Android fragmentation is a nightmare
They develop in Unity3D and had almost zero problems. Of 1970 devices they only had trouble with 3 devices. 2 of which were a market issue they couldn't work around but that were solved by a Google Play update so they only had to make a special workaround for 1 device that had a GPU driver issue
--
Found here:
http://www.gamasutra..._Game_Myths.php

I'm not a developer, and I'm betting you aren't either. I'll take real words from real developers in this instance.

"Nough said"

you know, what the app does is also paramount to how fragmentation will affect something. Some types of programs won't have any issue with ease. But others, its a big issue, especially ones that rely on the latest encryption and copy protection stuff, as well as fully locked down customized programing like all DIRECTV apps require. Add in streaming type stuff and voice recognition, and its a whole lot different than a calendar or game, etc..

DIRECTV isn't going to have a hundred people, developing apps for android, it doesn't make business since for them to do that, that's not their bread and butter. Netflix on the other hand, I'd be surprised if they didn't have more people than TiVo does working on their apps, that's their bred and butter. Can't remember where, but i read an article somewhere that netflix had something like well over 100 different android devices in a lab to test as they where updating apps and such and you can imagine how many people they would have had to do that at one time. Its unrealistic to think all companies would spend the money to do that, especially if its not at all their primary directive.

Android is far more resource consuming to program for overall. Period.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...