Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Apple TV adds HBO Go and WatchESPN to its ranks

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:00 AM

Apple TV adds HBO Go and WatchESPN to its ranks

Apple today announced that two more entertainment options will be hitting its set-top offering. HBO Go and WatchESPN have been added to the Apple TV lineup, along with Sky News, Crunchyroll and Qello, joining the ranks of Hulu Plus, Netflix and sports from the MLB, NBA and NHL. Apple also used the opportunity to talk up some download numbers, revealing that iTunes users have downloaded one billion TV episodes and 380 million movies. At present, more than 800,000 episodes and 350,000 movies are purchased per day.

Of course, as with all things related to TV and the Internet, there is a bit of fine print that will trip up some pay TV subscribers. For now, the HBO Go app won’t be available to DirecTV or Charter subscribers, and the ESPN app won’t be available to Dish or DirecTV subs. Chalk that up to the fact that “TV Everywhere” still isn’t, because of legal/biz dev/technical issues that take way too long to sort out.

apple-tv-chanels-lead.jpg

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,094 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:05 AM

Getting real tired of this game that this service has this but that one doesn't. Especially since I can use HBO Go on my IOS devices with DIRECTV but the gods decided that not with Apple TV, probably just so they can get their $6/month for a STB lease fee.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#3 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 426 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:04 PM

Yeah Im confused why Apple TV is different than every other device that supports HBO GO, including iPads / iPhones, Android Mobile devices, and Xbox 360 - all of which support HBO GO access for Directv subscribers.

#4 OFFLINE   likegadgets

likegadgets

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:42 PM

Yeah Im confused why Apple TV is different than every other device that supports HBO GO, including iPads / iPhones, Android Mobile devices, and Xbox 360 - all of which support HBO GO access for Directv subscribers.

I suspect it is, as with Roku, a great and simple  experience that DirecTV would prefer their customers do not experience or grow accustomed to. If more services were to be sold without a cable or SAT package, for example if HBO should eventually sell HBO to GO a la carte, it endangers DirecTV.

No need for satellite wiring, no need for DVR, no need for monthly fees - just good bandwidth and a tiny black box.

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,334 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:41 PM

, no need for monthly fees - just good bandwidth and a tiny black box.

Wouldn't you paid a monthly fee to HBO even if it was offered a la carte?
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:47 PM

I believe it will be available tomorrow.

• itzme likes this
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#7 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,183 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:47 AM

I believe it will be available tomorrow.

Thanks SR. I got ESPN working on the Apple TV with my FiOS account, but couldn't do the same with HBO. Looking forward to playing with that tomorrow once the DirecTV connection is working. Good stuff.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#8 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:00 AM

HBOgo has The Directv option available now. ESPN doesn't. I'm not sure if satracer was referring to ESPN also.

#9 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:57 AM

HBOgo has The Directv option available now. ESPN doesn't. I'm not sure if satracer was referring to ESPN also.

I'm assuming not.

ESPN has stated themselves that they are not signing new deals just for ESPN streaming.  They will only sign deals for it as part of a deal for the companies to carry their regular channels.  So DirecTV would either have to give up their current contract with ESPN and sign a new one early to get it added, or just wait until their current contract expires and get it when they sign the new one.   My guess is that they are probably paying ESPN quite a bit less now under their current contract than they will be when they sign a new one, so it probably doesn't make a lot of sense for DirecTV to break their contract early just to get ESPN streaming.

I think someone posted in one of the other threads that the current contract for ESPN may run out next year though.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#10 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:33 AM

Just HBO Go. 

Edited by Satelliteracer, 20 June 2013 - 11:34 AM.

DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#11 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,094 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:36 AM

Too bad HBO Go wasn't available at launch yesterday, or at least there was a PR saying it would be coming. That would have help to prevent all the bad press/comments that were out yesterday because DIRECTV was missing.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#12 OFFLINE   Pepe Sylvia

Pepe Sylvia

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:32 PM

That begs the question, why yes to Apple TV and no to Roku?  Aren't they basically the same thing from Directv's point of view?

edit:

Found this

Shortly before 8 PM Pacific Time, the DIRECTVService Twitter account tweeted "DirecTV customers will soon be able to access HBO Go content through Apple TV." This comes after a day where the satellite service received numerous complaints over Twitter.

So maybe it's as simple as Apple TV owners being more numerous and/or vocal?

Edited by Pepe Sylvia, 20 June 2013 - 02:35 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,334 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:49 PM

That begs the question, why yes to Apple TV and no to Roku? Aren't they basically the same thing from Directv's point of view?

edit:

Found this

Shortly before 8 PM Pacific Time, the DIRECTVService Twitter account tweeted "DirecTV customers will soon be able to access HBO Go content through Apple TV." This comes after a day where the satellite service received numerous complaints over Twitter.

So maybe it's as simple as Apple TV owners being more numerous and/or vocal?

I dont think there are more Apple TVs than Roku outhere.
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#14 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • News Hound
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:51 AM

Just as Satelliteracer said!

DirecTV Authenticates HBO Go on Apple TV

Charter remains only HBO pay-TV affiliate not supporting HBO Go on Apple TV

And then there was one.

As of mid-day Thursday, Charter Communications remained the only current HBO pay TV affiliate with TV Everywhere rights that had yet to support authentication of the HBO GO app on the Apple TV box.

DirecTV was not among the initial group of operators supporting HBO GO on the popular streaming video device, but an HBO spokeswoman said via email Thursday that the satellite TV service provider is now authenticating the premium programmer's TV Everywhere app on the Apple TV. A DirecTV spokeswoman confirmed that the company launched authentication of HBO for the device on Thursday morning.

Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

#15 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,347 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:11 AM

Agree, but I think the exclamation point indicates surprise where there should be none. 

just sayin'.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#16 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • News Hound
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:14 AM

^^^   :hurah:

It was meant as 'excitement' rather than 'surprise'.  No one should ever be surprised when what he says will happen happens.

#17 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,347 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:17 AM

Cool. I'm down wid dat.  :hurah:

Now, wondering why so many of your threads come in duplicates? 

#18 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • News Hound
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:24 AM

^^^

In order to get the news story on the Home Page I have to post it in the 'News' section.  That post, in turn, points to the actual thread.  Both posts show up in the 'latest posts' area.

If in the 'latest' thread area there is a way to turn off posts from the 'News' section you wouldn't see double posts.

Dave may be looking into it.....

#19 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,347 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:51 AM

Ah, just wondering what was happening- thanks for the expo. 

#20 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:03 PM

Nothing for ROKU still?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...