Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Joey Software Glitch on FOX Sports Channels

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   0uachita9

0uachita9

• Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationFairview, TX

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:24 PM

Anyone else having this problem?

A Dish Network Hopper and 2 Joeys were installed on 6/1/2013.  After several telephone calls complaining and speaking with DISH Advanced Technical Services, they sent a retail technician out who changed out the cable ends, di-plexers, solenoids, re-aimed the dish, and replace the Hopper on 6/13/2013.  The problem described below still remains. Therefore, it must be a software glitch between the Joeys and the Hopper.

The problem only presents itself in the 412 and 475 series of HD channels on the Joeys.  Note that both these series of channels expand and collapse. The problem appears to be in the hyphenated channels i.e. 412-06, 412-29, 412-33, 475-02, etc.

The only way I can view a HD channel in these series using the Joeys is to select it from the guide!

If I channel up or down to these channels that are HD channels listed in the "MY HD Channels" in the guide, they appear in Standard Definition. How do I know this?  The picture is the DISH Logo (when a channel is not broadcasting) or pillow-boxed around the sports program being broadcast at that time.

If I use the guide to select one of these channels, the non-broadcasting channels display the soccer ball, basketball, baseball, hockey puck screen which indicates HD.  If I select the broadcast program from the guide or that was previously displayed in SD from the guide, the picture is then displayed in HD.  If I channel down or up from a selected HD channel and return, the picture format reverts back to SD.

Again, when channeling up and down on the Joeys the picture is displayed in SD in these series of channels in the MY HD Channels menu guide or My Favorites (my created favorite list of HD channels only).  The Hopper does not present this problem. 

A technical service request has been filed, but until Dish recognizes this issue as a problem, they won't address it; they seem to have a problem replicating it.  However, the retail installer admitted that his equipment does the same thing on these channels when he investigated my complaint.

Stay tuned...

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   barryaz1

barryaz1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:14 PM

I have it on both the 2 Joeys and the Hopper. If I enter 412 (AZ being -05), then it will only go to the SD. I'm not sure and will check later, but it's not consistent on the Hopper, but if I channel up, it does not go to the HD version, but instead some Fox alternate 412. And like you, I have to go to the channel guide to select.

A work-around that I haven't tried yet - I'll be setting up a Favorites called Sports. Maybe I can only have the HD be on that list?

#3 OFFLINE   0uachita9

0uachita9

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationFairview, TX

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:01 PM

A Favorite list of only HD channels that included the 412 & 475 series of channels on the Joeys did not work for me.  My Favorite List on the Hopper does not have the issue.

#4 OFFLINE   0uachita9

0uachita9

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationFairview, TX

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:08 PM

A couple more tuning issues with the Joey...you can punch in all 5 numbers in the Fox Sports channels and the Joey will tune in HD format.  Again, if you channel up or down away from the HD formatted channel, the Joey displays SD when it returns to the original HD formatted channel.  Once you have a HD picture within the FOX Sports channels, if you channel up or down, then hit the recall button, the picture returns to the HD format.

#5 OFFLINE   Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 301 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:42 AM

I know this can be upsetting, when you’re trying to go to the channel, is there HD programming or will you see off-air? I would like to fill-out a detailed report of what is going on for the engineers to resolve this issue. Would you please PM me with the phone number on the account for further assistance?

Thanks

#6 OFFLINE   0uachita9

0uachita9

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationFairview, TX

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:57 AM

Not surpised that its been almost a month without resolution of the Joey issue and RSN channels.

Here's another interesting tidbit...programming on FoxSW in SD mode is not visible in HD...for example, tuned to 412-06 in SD mode, channeling up to 412-06 in HD mode gets the Dish HD screen.  This must be an HD delivery issue with the Fox Sports Networks and Dish.

I now realize that I made a mistake in changing to Dish from Directv b/c I am an HD-ophile; meaning, if programming is not in HD, it not worth watching and Dish does not have the HD delivery capacity of Directv based on my experience.

#7 OFFLINE   0uachita9

0uachita9

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationFairview, TX

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:15 PM

Now that 60-days has expired since first reporting the issue, I had an occasion to speak again with a Dish CSR.  During my explanation of the issue, we tuned to the RSN 412-06 on the Hopper.  The Cowboys/Cardinals preseason game was broadcasting in SD; in HD, nothing but the Dish HD screen image.  How is it that Directv can broadcast both feeds and not Dish?  Expectedly, she had no answers and forwarded the issues to engineering....

Edited by 0uachita9, 19 August 2013 - 02:17 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,898 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:11 PM

There are blackout issues in play... since it looks like you are in TX, it is likely the game was not available on the RSN due to blackout rules... and some other channel carried it in HD.

Outside of that...  Dish RSN feeds in HD are part-time feeds.  DirecTV has full-time feeds for their RSNs.  Take a look around our forum and you will see lots of discussion about this.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#9 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:35 PM

We had it here in HD but it was carried by the local CW station, possibly produced by KTXA - 21 out of Dallas, they do the Friday Rangers game live OTA in DFW and around the state on various stations.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#10 OFFLINE   0uachita9

0uachita9

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationFairview, TX

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:37 PM

My post of August 19th was a re-broadcast...Please dish, drop ESPN and give me another reason to punt you guys....unbeknownst to me when I re-subscribed to dish, I would suffer from part time HD on the RSNs.  As recompense, they gave me all of the RSNs for 2 months; but sadly, there mostly SD when they broadcast...dish is supposed to be better than DIRECTV...not for sports programming!

#11 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:55 AM

Dish has never been better at sports than Direct. The RSNs have always been part time HD. No surprise to anyone.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...