Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Tips before installation?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mikefour77

mikefour77

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:21 PM

Hey all - 

I have a Fios internet (50/25) and voice installation coming up and was wondering if there was anything that I should know before the installation, like can they use the existing cabling inside the house, or do they need to rewire?

Just want to get a sense of what I should be prepared for...

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Cobra611

Cobra611

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:24 PM

They should be able to use existing wiring.

#3 OFFLINE   hallrk

hallrk

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:10 AM

All the wiring in the house should be OK. They may need to run a line to your phone box on the outside of your house. I had to leave the gate open to my backyard for them to do this. It was done a couple of days before the in home part. They will install a box inside close to where your outside box is located. This is like your central hub for all things Fios related. The installer was ther about two hours installing everything for Internet and phone and he will give you a demo on how everything works. I just had Fios TV installed and it went smoothly too.   

#4 OFFLINE   mikefour77

mikefour77

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:52 AM

Sounds good... thanks for the replies!

#5 OFFLINE   brenta1x

brenta1x

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:54 AM

Hi Mike, 

Hope your install went well.  I'm having 75/25 installed in two days.  Currently have Time Warner Broadband. Wondering if you or anyone else knows that once they run the coax from the pole into the house and plug into the FIOS router, if it just simply a matter of unplugging my various ethernet cables from my current router and plugging them into the back of the FIOS router?  For my multitude of wireless devices I obviously assume I'll need to "remap" those to the new FIOS wireless network, yes? 

Thanks

#6 OFFLINE   mikefour77

mikefour77

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:59 AM

Hey -

Yes, the installation went very well.

For me, it was a simple as plugging everything into the new FIOS router (which has wireless built in) and then simply setting up the new router with the same wireless information as the old one (so the SSID and WPA password).

Once that was all done, everything connected without hassle as if nothing had even happened.

#7 OFFLINE   brenta1x

brenta1x

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:07 PM

Great, thanks!  That is what I was hoping for.  Thanks for responding so quick, too. 

spam firewall