Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Whole Home and AM21

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pogo

pogo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:35 PM

I recently activated and set up whole home service on an HR20,HR21, and HR34.  I also have an off air tuner on the HR21 since my wife watches some programs on the locals sub channels not carried by D*.  All is well and I finally got my wife convinced that everything's shared and she can watch on any of the three boxes -- then she started complaining and I only just realized that the OTA recordings aren't shared.  I was curious whether there's some technical reason why, or is it just more D* wanting to be your one an only programming provider?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,497 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:38 PM

as was under the impression that they were. I dont use the AM21 but everything I read points to that is shared
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,173 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:56 PM

Have three AM21s on an HR34, HR24, and R22, and OTA recordings are all shared here.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#4 OFFLINE   pogo

pogo

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:21 PM

Strange.  I'll get back to you.  I've been wrong before, but I checked again before I posted.

#5 OFFLINE   pogo

pogo

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:47 PM

Have three AM21s on an HR34, HR24, and R22, and OTA recordings are all shared here.

Don't know what to tell you -- it doesn't happen here for my one box with AM21--I see everything else but not the OTA stuff.  I just pushed record on something and it doesn't show up in the playlist on the other boxes -- only D* channels. 

#6 OFFLINE   tomspeer46

tomspeer46

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts
  • LocationEastern NC and Adirondack Mtns, NY

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:12 PM

I don't even own an AM21, but my observation of the above comments is that the only person who said he can see OTA recordings on other receivers, has an AM21 on those receivers.  Maybe having one connected enables you to see OTA recordings from the other boxes.

The Avatar is my curious neighborhood Otter.
My setup

#7 OFFLINE   Joe166

Joe166

AllStar

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:24 PM

I have a genie with an AM-21.   As a test, I just recorded an OTA channel on it and went to another set with no OTA and an HR24.    Saw the recording and watched it.   No problem.    Seems you have a unique problem.

#8 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:19 AM

OTA recordings are shared over Whole Home here as well...

#9 OFFLINE   STEVEN-H

STEVEN-H

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 618 posts
  • Location40241

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:52 AM

All my OTA AM- 21 recordings are shared.

HR24-500 AM-21
HR24-200 AM-21
Direct TV Slimline-5S (SWM) DECA
Direct TV since 6/23/96.

#10 OFFLINE   pogo

pogo

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:30 AM

Thanks for the responses.  I guess it's one more thing for me to scratch my head over for a while.

#11 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:35 AM

I know for a fact that this works for me because in my Whole Home network there is one receiver that does not have an AM21 attached and that is in the Kitchen.

If we want to watch programming in the Kithcen that comes from a secondary local market (Orlando in my case) that isn't available on the satellite we just put that channel on in the Living Room where we have an AM21 and press record.

Then we go in the Kitchen, pick the OTA recording in progress from the list and play it back in the Kitchen while we eat.  By the end of the first commercial break we are caught up to just a few moments of "live".

"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#12 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,173 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:47 AM

I don't even own an AM21, but my observation of the above comments is that the only person who said he can see OTA recordings on other receivers, has an AM21 on those receivers.  Maybe having one connected enables you to see OTA recordings from the other boxes.

Sorry;

Didn't mean to imply that I can only receive OTA recordings on boxes with AM21s attached.

I also have an HR21 in the kitchen and an HR22 in an upstairs den room with no AM21 and like others here have testified they can see and stream OTA recordings from the other receivers with AM21s just fine . 

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#13 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 381 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:51 AM

Perhaps there is a setting somewhere that is not set to allow sharing??

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#14 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:52 PM

Could you try connecting the AM21 to another receiver and recording something to see if shares from there?  Maybe the issue is localized to the receiver that you have the AM21 connected to now.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#15 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:53 PM

Your sure that particular receiver (that the AM21 is attached to) is sharing other things?
  • eandras likes this

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#16 OFFLINE   pogo

pogo

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:30 PM

Your sure that particular receiver (that the AM21 is attached to) is sharing other things?

Yes.  As I said all DTV channel recordings are shared. 

For Old school, yes I have thought about that experiment, but haven't yet done it.  All three of my boxes are in one cabinet and it's a pita to pull it out and move things around.  It's not a big problem for me, just a curiousity.  I'll try it when I've got the media cabinet pulled out sometime.

#17 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,650 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:32 AM

You've tried resetting that DVR?  You might also try resetting the AM21 and repeating the Off-Air Setup process.  

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#18 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:24 AM

There really is no technical reason why OTA recordings would be the only thing from the playlist not shared out to other DVR's...the whole playlist is shared or it isnt.  The only thing that could affect what may be different between playlists would probably have to do with parental controls.  In the 8 years I've been reading and posting I dont think I've ever heard of this.

#19 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:23 AM

I have had some experiences where I have had to completely unplug the AM21 (and the attached DVR by default) in order to get everything properly "reset" but those have been issues with searching for signal on the OTA channels where for some reason the AM21 stops seeing the antenna signal until I power cycle it.

It couldn't hurt to try though.

"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#20 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:23 PM

Yes, OTA recordings are shared just like any others. But you can't see the off-air channels "live" over whole home, only recordings. maybe that's what is causing the confusion.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...