Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

63% of drivers say GPS got them lost

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,823 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:30 PM

From SF Gate:

“Make a U-turn if possible”: 63% of drivers say GPS got them lost

They may not have driven into a lake à la “The Office’s” Michael Scott, but the majority of U.S. drivers who have used GPS technology say they’ve been led astray at least once  – either by being sent in the wrong direction or by receiving “complex, confusing and incorrect routes,” according to a recent online survey conducted on behalf of  Michelin Travel and Lifestyle, publishers of traditional maps, guidebooks and Web-based travel tools.
FULL ARTICLE HERE

"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,823 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:33 PM

There are a couple pieces of advice when it comes to GPS....

1. In many cases, a new GPS comes with a free single map upgrade and firmware upgrade. Perform that upgrade right away. The map update will take several hours, so I suggest performing it "overnight". 

2. Read the manual. You may be surprised at some of the options that can be set that can affect your navigation.

3. Don't use the your major trip as the first time you use that new GPS (or any other new device). Try a few runs around the neighborhood to see what happens. Go into the menus and check the options. Don't be afraid to play around with the GPS in familiar surroundings.

• BosFan likes this
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera

#3 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,575 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:50 PM

There's such a wide range in GPS' abilities to provide timely and understandable info, that it doesn't surprise me that many have felt being left high and dry.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,521 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:05 PM

were the folks surveyed perhaps using Apple maps.....lol
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,522 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:27 PM

Paper maps have shown me the way for many years and have never once talked back to me.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#6 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,530 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:16 AM

Paper maps have shown me the way for many years and have never once talked back to me.

+1......I still use my Motor Carriers' Road Atlas.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#7 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:16 AM

We've had great experience with several Garmin devices over the years. Never travel without one. The only issue I can recall is occasionally the instruction to turn is said a little too late to make the turn. RECALCULATING...... 

#8 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,176 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:31 AM

6 year ago I bought a Pioneer AVIC for my Toyota and it's been working well all these years.  Only once, in Montreal, did I get a weird routing that basically had me going ahead 1 block, U-Turning, coming back that block and making a left instead of a simple right turn.

My wife's Garmin - a present for her a few years ago - has worked well in Ohio, California, Florida, the entire Northeast US, Scotland, The Netherlands and over the North Sea (used it in an airplane to see that we were doing 560mph).  We'll be getting more use out of it in Germany next month.

A little common sense in using these devices goes a long way.

#9 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:28 AM

A limitation of the devices is the data input into the system.

A county near here during the big E911 upgrade several years ago made sure almost every cowpath, levee, nature trail, and  vacated road had a name, just in case.

Years later, GPS thinks of all these cowpaths (and worse) as viable ways of getting around, even if they would challenge a D8 caterpillar. And to make it worse, the database hasn't been updated (as of whenever) and a recently paved road was relocated from the where the original was.  Most GPS devices think you are off road and 4 wheeling through the outback when you're on this road, and will try to put you on every dirt trail leading off the new cement.

The locals are aware, but you'd wonder if travelers from elsewhere are running into trouble.

#10 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,522 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:45 AM

There's state highway here that carries the same number for a couple of hundred miles even though it breaks in continuity several times.  Parts of it are more well traveled than others.  Parts of it go through, other parts don't.  One of the breaks is over a fairly major river about a 1/4 mile wide.  It's in a very rural area, so there ain't no bridge, ain't never been a bridge, ain't never gonna be a bridge.  So where does the GPS route plot if you ask it to take you from one local town to another?  You guessed it.  Backtracking to correct the mistake is close to 40 miles.

#11 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,191 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:40 AM

I like my Garmin.

The only time it does something strange is when a place is located on the corner of an intersection on the freeway.

Id does not seem to know that you can turn left or right and go right into the address you are looking for. It will show for you to go all the way to the next exit and take the feeder road to get to it. This in the case I am using would take you about 8 miles out of the way.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#12 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,715 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:16 PM

One of the things I like about getting our Garmin is that we got Lifetime map updates. We update once per quarter - after all, a map  (or GPS) is useless if it isn't kept up to date. I have noticed over the course of our time with it that local updates do happen  - slowly... It's useful around town, (including look for that place where the job interview is...).  Mine also will mate (via bluetooth) to my phone, so it works as a handsfree.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,521 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:40 PM

I am the only that uses Google Maps on my iPhone as a dedicated GPS device? it always has the latest maps, free of charge.
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#14 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,452 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:53 PM

People, long before GPS, have had a nasty habit of setting out on a trip without knowing where they are going.  With paper maps, I always looked over the whole route before I left... so I was generally familiar with where I was going in case I missed an exit or something was different (traffic, construction, etc) than what I expected.

I do the same with GPS and electronic maps... check out the whole route before you start driving...  otherwise you have no idea when you go wrong until you are way wrong.

GPS, like any tool, is only as good as the person using it.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#15 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,522 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:23 PM

Thing is, with paper maps you can see the 'big picture' a lot easier when you can spread them out on a table top (or car hood)  You can look at hundreds of miles in any direction in one view without scrolling or zooming.  I'd rather look at a layout 3 or 4 feet square than a 3" LCD screen.

#16 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,191 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:47 PM

Thing is, with paper maps you can see the 'big picture' a lot easier when you can spread them out on a table top (or car hood)  You can look at hundreds of miles in any direction in one view without scrolling or zooming.  I'd rather look at a layout 3 or 4 feet square than a 3" LCD screen.

For sure. However, after doing that and going down what you think is the right road it is nice when the machine says "Recalculating" to let you know that you are not on the correct path. I do that sometimes just to see if it will mess with it's calculations.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#17 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:20 AM

that function is handled by your navigator in the right seat, if they are not doing it then you have a defective one:)

#18 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,214 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:28 AM

I'd never buy another car without OnStar and it's features.  I've been using their driving directions for years and have never had one problem.  No map displays to distract drivers, just a voice telling where and when to turn.  I do get a readout on my dashboard, but I don't need it and ignore it for the most part.

Rich

#19 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,522 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:48 AM

No map displays to distract drivers, just a voice telling where and when to turn.

That would be the navigator in the back seat.

#20 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,823 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:22 AM

This assumes they have good GSP. 

spam firewall