Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

63% of drivers say GPS got them lost

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 ONLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,715 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:48 PM

I am the only that uses Google Maps on my iPhone as a dedicated GPS device? it always has the latest maps, free of charge.

Only if you always (and only) go where you get cell service.... The nice thing about a DEDICATED GPS device is that it doesn't need that to advise you...

Let me tell you - there are places in this country where there is no cell service  - and that's here on the EAST COAST - nevermind the mountains and the West....

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,525 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:13 PM

Only if you always (and only) go where you get cell service.... The nice thing about a DEDICATED GPS device is that it doesn't need that to advise you...

Let me tell you - there are places in this country where there is no cell service - and that's here on the EAST COAST - nevermind the mountains and the West....

I knew someone will bring this up. Pre Google maps days, I was using Navigon GPS bought from the App Store. So this one is my back up for those rare case where I dont have cell service
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#23 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,211 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:40 PM

"63% of drivers say GPS got them lost"

Probably, 62% of them are idiots!

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#24 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:18 AM

One reason would be that drivers don't update the maps on their devices, manufacturer's put out yearly updates to account for the changes in the highway and back road infrastructure.

#25 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,579 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:23 AM

That'd mean only about 36% of drivers are idiots. In my experience, it's closer to 85%! :blackeye: 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#26 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:06 AM

One reason would be that drivers don't update the maps on their devices, manufacturer's put out yearly updates to account for the changes in the highway and back road infrastructure.

The reason I don't update my Tom Tom is it takes 14 hours with my slow rural internet and their server kicks me off after a few hours.

I still like living here, but high speed internet would be such a blessing!

#27 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,216 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:56 AM

Probably?  I'd like to know how people get away with sticking them on their windshields.  My son got hit by a girl who was inputting an address on her windshield mounted GPS device.  He was sitting in his car at a light at the time.  Had nowhere to hide from that moron.  

Rich

#28 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,525 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:42 PM

Probably? I'd like to know how people get away with sticking them on their windshields. My son got hit by a girl who was inputting an address on her windshield mounted GPS device. He was sitting in his car at a light at the time. Had nowhere to hide from that moron.

Rich

How does the windshield has anything to do? even if it was on another place, the driver had to take their eyes off the road. Hopefully your son was OK
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#29 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,727 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:43 PM

Paper maps have shown me the way for many years and have never once talked back to me.

Same here.

But it is the last 100 feet that is difficult as you try to find the house number on homes that put 'em everywhere but where they should be.

Edited by Drucifer, 22 June 2013 - 09:55 PM.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#30 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,727 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:54 PM

Probably?  I'd like to know how people get away with sticking them on their windshields.  My son got hit by a girl who was inputting an address on her windshield mounted GPS device.  He was sitting in his car at a light at the time.  Had nowhere to hide from that moron.  

Rich

It wasn't the location, but the her action that cause the accident.

I would prefer a screen of some type right in front of me. 

Any status on when Smart Windshields will become vogue? You know, the one with all the vehicle data that can be activated right on the windshield by voice command.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#31 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:46 AM

The reason I don't update my Tom Tom is it takes 14 hours with my slow rural internet and their server kicks me off after a few hours.

I still like living here, but high speed internet would be such a blessing!

Be worth going someplace else and updating it there.

#32 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:09 AM

Any status on when Smart Windshields will become vogue? You know, the one with all the vehicle data that can be activated right on the windshield by voice command.

Not quite what you are talking about but we test drove an X3 yesterday with a heads-up display that projected speed and nav instructions on the windshield in front of the driver. I liked having the speed up there.

#33 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,579 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:31 AM

Projected speed? How does that work? 

#34 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,244 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:47 AM

http://www.bmw.com/c...up_display.html

#35 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,579 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:57 AM

If that's solely in response to my question, thank you, but I understand how such displays work. I don't know how a vehicle can project one's intended speed. ETA, yes, based on distance, speed limit and traffic. 

#36 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:01 AM

I meant projected as in the speed is projected from the lens on the dash onto the windshield.

#37 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:30 AM

Not quite what you are talking about but we test drove an X3 yesterday with a heads-up display that projected speed and nav instructions on the windshield in front of the driver.

I don't know how a vehicle can project one's intended speed

The same way you project a movie onto a wall or screen.

And he said 'projected speed', not 'project intended speed'.

Not fond of HUDs though, if they're in front of the driver.  Just more junk to obstruct the view of what they're supposed to be looking at.  HUDs might be fine for fighter pilots where there isn't other traffic or pedestrians to watch out for.

Edited by SayWhat?, 23 June 2013 - 09:35 AM.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#38 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,216 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:32 AM

How does the windshield has anything to do? even if it was on another place, the driver had to take their eyes off the road. Hopefully your son was OK

It's illegal in NJ to have anything that blocks your view on your windshield.  Don't know how many states have that law.  It's also illegal to block "Garden State" on our license plates.  My son wasn't injured, thanx for asking.  For all the laws we have, the cops are pretty tolerant of most things and overlook the petty laws.  My other son is a cop and he used the license plate law as a way of letting folks off lightly when he was a patrolman.  

Rich

#39 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,216 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:41 AM

It wasn't the location, but the her action that cause the accident.

I would prefer a screen of some type right in front of me. 

Pontiac had a "heads up" display on the Bonnevilles years ago.  Click the option and the readout would be displayed on the windshield just above the steering wheel.  I drove one and I found the display on the window easy to read while driving.  Showed the MPH and stuff like that.  Must not have been a good selling point.  I really don't like the displays on the middle of the dashboards above the center console.  Seems to be distracting.    

About the location, it's still illegal to have them mounted on the window in NJ.  A law that's overlooked by the police, for the most part.  

Rich

#40 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:07 PM

Not fond of HUDs though, if they're in front of the driver.  Just more junk to obstruct the view of what they're supposed to be looking at.  HUDs might be fine for fighter pilots where there isn't other traffic or pedestrians to watch out for.

This was my first hands on with a HUD and I thought it was very well implemented. Speed image appeared just above the hood. For me that was in my peripheral vision. Quite nice.

spam firewall