Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Does the type of Cell Phone you use denotes your income status

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,271 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:42 PM

according to the following study, Apple iPhones appear to be used in wealthier areas when compared to Android

http://m.cultofmac.c...5f0cf15b3772f04
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,487 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:00 PM

I have some experience with people in that income classification. I don't recommend android often because it tends to frustrate them. But some got an iPhone and ipad because they felt embarrassed to be the only one in board meetings to not have one.

Some have never loaded an app, after having one for several years.

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,271 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:03 PM

I have some experience with people in that income classification. I don't recommend android often because it tends to frustrate them. But some got an iPhone and ipad because they felt embarrassed to be the only one in board meetings to not have one.

Some have never loaded an app, after having one for several years.

Funny you mention "board meeting" as the business district in Manhattan appears to be using Blackberries, on purple on that grapgh.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,285 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:39 PM

In any event, the correlation is more likely to be tied to:

A.) Intelligence

or 

B.) Sheeple/cool factor.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#5 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:27 AM

In any event, the correlation is more likely to be tied to:

A.) Intelligence

or 

B.) Sheeple/cool factor.

This.

Im not rich but im not poor either and can afford any platform I want. I use droid because its the better product for me. 

Its not like Iphone/pad is that expensive anyway ._.

#6 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,698 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:37 AM

So what about all the bangers and other scumbags out there using stolen iWhatevers?

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#7 OFFLINE   EdJ

EdJ

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:50 AM

I could easily afford to carry around two or three i-phones if I wanted to.  But, I do not feel the need to haul around a mini-computer on my hip like so many do.  There is no need for me to be connected 24-7.  If I miss something happening on the web, guess what, it will wait until I get back home.

All I need a cell phone is for the occasional times I need to talk to somebody when I am away from home.  Imagine that, using a cell phone to actually talk to somebody....  My tracfone does a terrific job at that for roughly $100 a year.

• tsmacro likes this

#8 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,487 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:50 AM

It's not necessarily intelligence overall, it's technological intelligence. I have some very smart people that are in the top of their field that have trouble with tech.

For me, it's hard to support Android as buttons can be different from phone to phone and other differences that makes it more difficult to give support over the phone.

Even from one carrier's Galaxy S3 to another, I've even seen things organized differently in Settings.

#9 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,814 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:02 AM

Definitely a yes in my case.

I am retired. I use a T-Mobile Prepaid phone for my cell. I buy 1,000 minutes for $100 and they last for a year. Usually the time runs out and not the minutes.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#10 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,488 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:40 PM

In my extended family, the iPhone in its many variations is used by most members. They have widely varying technical abilities, ranging from the novice (my daughter in-law) to highly skilled (my younger son and son in-law). Income status really has nothing to do with their phone selection.

As for myself, I started out with Tracfone many years ago and wore out several phones before switching to Verizon around six years ago, having first an LG phone and then a Samsung. My first Android Smartphone was an HTC Thunderbolt, which I really liked until it broke last year (dropped and microphone stopped working). I could have continued to use it with an external headset, but chose instead to upgrade to a Motorola Droid HD. Although I really like the phone, there are several annoyances -- after ending a phone call, if I don't return to my home screen, I stand a chance of accidentally calling the last number back. Also, my people list is all scrambled - consisting of the people list from the HTC, my Google contacts and a few odd groups. I would like to merge them into groups such as healthcare, family, relatives, friends etc. I'd like to be able to just do a copy and paste operation, but haven't been able to do that. IMHO, that's a major shortcoming.

The learning curve for Android phones is somewhat greater than for the iPhone, partly due to the way the OS has evolved. There's no set standard of interchangeability between phones of different manufacturers.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#11 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,810 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:58 PM

The wife and me are AT&T GoPhone users ( and they are not smartphones, either) - we looked at how much we actually used our phones and decided that PrePaid worked much cheaper for us. She is just using a Samsung flip phone, while I'm using a Pantech 7040P with a alphanumeric keypad for texting.

My feeling about smartphones is that they may be neat toys, but I DON'T need to be THAT well connected for the price of both phone and usage rates costs. My Pantech does most things that I would use (and some others that I decided I didn't want to pay $25 / month for a dataplan) . The internet is plenty well connected at home with TWC internet.  If I needed it bad enough - I might consider a Smartphone, but based on the value proposition - it would probably be an Android of some kind.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,271 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:01 PM

folks are forgetting that smartphones nowadays are an extension of your home. forgot to set your DVR, no problem, need to take a look at the security cameras, sure. need to make a bank transfer, absolutely. Smartphones are NOT just facebook.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   Upstream

Upstream

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:39 PM

Not impressed with the conclusions drawn from the map.

The map shows a comparison of the number of geo-tagged tweets from each location (red dots mean more geo-tagged tweets from and iPhone and green dot mean more geo-tagged tweets from Android devices).

So here are a couple of things to be aware of:

• Geo-tagged tweets represent a tiny fraction of all tweets. Most tweets contain no geographic information.
  • The location represents where the geo-tagged tweet was made, not where the tweeter lives.
  • The color of the dot represents whether there were more iPhone or Android tweets, whether it is a majority of 1 or 1 million.

So I can't really draw a conclusion about the income of tweeters based on the fact that more geo-tagged tweets in higher income urban centers come from Apple devices (regardless of whether the tweeters live, work, or visit the urban centers).

The only conclusion I can draw is that in urban centers, iPhone users are more likely than Android users to send geo-tagged tweets. And for all I know, that may be nothing more than a function of the default settings of the Twitter app on iPhone vs Android.

#14 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,285 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:21 PM

The poll also fails as it draws conclusion from twitterers, not necessarily representative of platform users, nor of a cross section of wealth distribution.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#15 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,271 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:25 PM

NOt sure if I am being naive, but I don't think folks that work in Wall Street are living paycheck to paycheck
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#16 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,349 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:20 AM

NOt sure if I am being naive, but I don't think folks that work in Wall Street are living paycheck to paycheck

You'd be surprised.  Doesn't matter how much you make, it's how much you owe and how much you can afford.  I know a VP of a well known money management firm that owes so much money that I can't believe her and her husband, who also works, will ever get out of debt.  And, believe me, it's wonderful to be debt free.

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...