Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New contract. Gennie vs HD DVR

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,193 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:34 PM

Actually there's a whole thread somewhere around here about just that subject,or its buried in the esata one, can't recall.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   toricred

toricred

• Registered
  • 77 posts
  • LocationNorthern New Mexico

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:07 PM

I found the one that RunnerFL was using and it's too expensive for me at the moment, but I found another one somebody on the forum had used with an HR24. If it worked with the 24 is it safe to assume it will work with the HR44?

#83 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,363 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:25 AM

Why PMs? The more that's shared publicly, the better for many. Unless, of course, he's asked for same. 

Easier for the person wanting info.  RunnerFL has already posted his RAID experiences and his RAID preferences in other threads. Why make the guy search for the answer?

Rich

• damondlt likes this

#84 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,363 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:27 AM

I found the one that RunnerFL was using and it's too expensive for me at the moment, but I found another one somebody on the forum had used with an HR24. If it worked with the 24 is it safe to assume it will work with the HR44?

The RAID box he was using was around $100 if my memory serves me correctly.  I don't think you'll find one much cheaper.  And you'll know it will work.

Rich

#85 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,363 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:29 AM

Actually there's a whole thread somewhere around here about just that subject,or its buried in the esata one, can't recall.

Seems kinda cruel to suggest that someone search thru those terribly long threads, no?  

Rich

#86 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,288 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:33 AM

Why? Because it's not difficult to perform a search here, and another is it's an imposition 

Easier for the person wanting info.  RunnerFL has already posted his RAID experiences and his RAID preferences in other threads. Why make the guy search for the answer?

Rich

1. It's not difficult to search in the forum.

2. It is often an imposition to the person receiving the PM.

3. Information in the discussion does not get shared.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#87 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,363 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:41 AM

Why? Because it's not difficult to perform a search here, and another is it's an imposition 

1. It's not difficult to search in the forum.

2. It is often an imposition to the person receiving the PM.

3. Information in the discussion does not get shared.

Getting kinda cranky aren't you?  That's just not like you.  

The info is already there.  It is not as easy for some folks to search. When did sending a PM become an imposition?  

Rich

#88 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,288 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:49 AM

Some of us- perhaps almost all- prefer all technical discussions to be in the public forum. 

That way, we all can learn. We can add other perspectives to the reply. Even correct when/is/as bad or misleading advice is given. 

I am not concerned that the latter will come into play with Runner, nor do I know his druthers re PMs for tech. assistance. 

It's really the crux of why there's a discussion board. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#89 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:54 AM

Getting kinda cranky aren't you?  That's just not like you.  

The info is already there.  It is not as easy for some folks to search. When did sending a PM become an imposition?  

Rich

Agree PM all you want!

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#90 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:55 AM

Some of us- perhaps almost all- prefer all technical discussions to be in the public forum. 

That way, we all can learn. We can add other perspectives to the reply. Even correct when/is/as bad or misleading advice is given. 

I am not concerned that the latter will come into play with Runner, nor do I know his druthers re PMs for tech. assistance. 

It's really the crux of why there's a discussion board. 

And a RAID box is off topic, so I would say a PM was the proper thing to do.

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#91 OFFLINE   toricred

toricred

• Registered
  • 77 posts
  • LocationNorthern New Mexico

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:54 PM

I PM'd him and he got back very quickly. The 4 bay I found that he referenced was around $300 so that was my concern. Even the ones he recommended last night were around $200. The jump in price between 2 bay and 4 bay is insane, but I've only found one around $100 and 4 bay. It's not clear it would work so I may have to be really careful with recordings for a month or two until I can put together the $200.

#92 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,363 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:12 AM

I PM'd him and he got back very quickly. The 4 bay I found that he referenced was around $300 so that was my concern. Even the ones he recommended last night were around $200. The jump in price between 2 bay and 4 bay is insane, but I've only found one around $100 and 4 bay. It's not clear it would work so I may have to be really careful with recordings for a month or two until I can put together the $200.

Don't go for the cheapest, I did that and got burned.  That was my one and only experience with RAID.  Bought two RAID boxes at ~ $500 apiece and neither lasted a year.  Both were Cavalry boxes.  I'd caution anyone about buying anything from Cavalry, if they're still in existence.  

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...