Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Removing USB 3.0 drive from External HDD and placing into eSata enclosure for HR34

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   xtc

xtc

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:14 AM

I need more space on my HR34 so I am looking into attaching a hard drive to it. I understand that only an eSata drive will work. I currently have this brand new Seagate Expansion 3TB USB 3.0 External Hard Drive :

http://www.amazon.co...srch_res_rtr_21

I wanted to know if I am able to remove the drive from it's enclosure, and put it into a eSata enclosure, will it definitely work with my HR34 if connected with eSata cable?

If so, what type of enclosure should I look into purchasing to place this hard drive into? any requirements other than it has to have eSata? Any suggestions on which are the best to get?

I looked at the main eSata thread and it's enormous and all over the place, so I'm hoping I can get some help here, thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,389 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:27 AM

There's a couple things going against such a move:

1. Seagate drives generally have not proven to be suitable (in spite of substantial reasoning to the contrary)
2. You'll immediately void the hard drive warranty
3. The drive most likely wasn't designed for DVR use (multiple bi-directional streams)

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#3 OFFLINE   xtc

xtc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:33 AM

That's a real bummer :( People have not posted success with using Seagate drives in esata enclosures with HR34s?

I thought as long as there's an eSata connection to the DVR it would work? Guess not?

#4 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,288 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:56 AM

What is the HDD currently living in? It has no e-SATA? (All my drives have that) What were you using it for? It may be less of a hassle to spend the $100 or so for one that's very suited.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#5 OFFLINE   xtc

xtc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:01 AM

The HDD is in it's original enclosure. I've never even opened the retail box, it is still sealed with plastic wrap, I just wanted to see if I can take it out of it's original enclosure (which doesnt have eSata) and put it into a eSata enclosure and have it connected to my HR34 with the an eSata cable.

I understand that there may be more suitable drives that would work better, but instead of spending all that extra money, I wanted to see if I can use the drive I already have that's not being used for anything else.

But if it's doubtful that would work with the HR34, I guess I won't try it, but I just want to make sure before I decide.

#6 OFFLINE   xtc

xtc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:04 AM

I've had a Seagate Free Agent Pro 750GB connected to my HR20 for over 5 years probably. In fact, I had to take it out of its original enclosure and put it into the famous Antec Mx-1 enclosure and it worked. So I'm surprised to hear that Seagate is not recommended for the DVRs.

In fact, DirecTV.com even recommends 2 Seagate models : http://support.direc...r-dvr-or-hd-dvr

Edited by xtc, 21 June 2013 - 10:09 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:41 AM

I would try anyway - not to many reports about using Seagate drives as external for HRxx DVR; it doesn't have good representation for final conclusion.

You will get the drive model from its label, just make the dismantling without force and damaging all the latches (check Internet, perhaps someone did  that already,  it will save your plastic box from damaging).

It's not that big deal to get the drive out and what would be useful to post your outcome, perhaps THE drive will works OK and other people will benefit form your tests.

#8 OFFLINE   rmmccann

rmmccann

AllStar

• Registered
  • 186 posts
  • LocationND, USA

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:49 AM

A hard drive is a hard drive - it should work. The drive itself looks like it'll be your run-of-the-mill 3.5" SATA drive - all you need is a compatible enclosure. The problem is that most off the shelf consumer drives like this are not meant for a high usage scenario such as a DVR - the parts simply wear out faster than they would normally when just being used as a PC backup device, etc.

If you're not going to be fuming mad if the drive dies and you lose your recordings, give it a shot. You may be pleasantly surprised and it may work for a number of years. If your recordings are very important to you however, you'd probably want to spend a little extra cash and invest in a RAID type ESATA enclosure with some NAS-suitable drives. 

If you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, you will live your whole life believing it is stupid.

#9 OFFLINE   xtc

xtc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:10 AM

If you're not going to be fuming mad if the drive dies and you lose your recordings, give it a shot. You may be pleasantly surprised and it may work for a number of years. If your recordings are very important to you however, you'd probably want to spend a little extra cash and invest in a RAID type ESATA enclosure with some NAS-suitable drives. 

Yeah I would be fuming probably.

That sounds like something I don't know anything about, I've once taken out a Seagate Free Agent Pro and put it into an Antec MX-1 enclosure, but don't know anything about RAID and NAS. Care to explain? and what do these do that's different/better???

#10 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:18 AM

one word: EXPENSIVE

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,280 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:26 AM

Dont worry about NAS, is not compatible with DirecTV receivers
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,363 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:11 PM

That's a real bummer :( People have not posted success with using Seagate drives in esata enclosures with HR34s?

I thought as long as there's an eSata connection to the DVR it would work? Guess not?

Iffy, sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.  I prefer the WD Green Caviar drives myself.  I've had bad experiences with Seagate HDDs and HRs even tho the 24s do come with Pipeline HDDs in them.  If you must buy a Seagate, the Pipeline models are made for DVRs.  To give you an idea how strongly I feel about this, if the Seagates were selling for half the price of the WDs, I'd still buy a WD.

Rich

#13 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,363 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:17 PM

one word: EXPENSIVE

Yup, had two of them.  Never again.  Neither made it past the first year of service.  Just an opinion based on two RAIDs, tho.  I know other folks have used them successfully.  

Rich

#14 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:06 PM

There's a couple things going against such a move:

1. Seagate drives generally have not proven to be suitable (in spite of substantial reasoning to the contrary)

Uhh, yeah, not true at all.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#15 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:07 PM

I only use Seagate drives for my HR's and they work just fine.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#16 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:09 PM

Dont worry about NAS, is not compatible with DirecTV receivers

He wasn't talking about using a NAS, he said "NAS-suitable drives".  If they are good enough to use in a NAS they are good enough for your HR.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#17 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,280 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:20 PM

He wasn't talking about using a NAS, he said "NAS-suitable drives". If they are good enough to use in a NAS they are good enough for your HR.

Not sure where you get this from. the TS said "but don't know anything about RAID and NAS. Care to explain?"

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#18 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:38 PM

Not sure where you get this from. the TS said "but don't know anything about RAID and NAS. Care to explain?"

Try looking at the post he was replying to when he said that.  He even quoted it in his post.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#19 OFFLINE   xtc

xtc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:19 AM

Based on the range of replies I see here, I still can't determine if it will work or not. I wish it would, I'd like to put the drive I have to use, but certainly don't want to ruin it or lose any shows that would be recorded on it. Sucks.

#20 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,363 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:29 AM

Based on the range of replies I see here, I still can't determine if it will work or not. I wish it would, I'd like to put the drive I have to use, but certainly don't want to ruin it or lose any shows that would be recorded on it. Sucks.

Try it, what do you have to lose?  If RunnerFL says it will work, you can be pretty sure it will work.

Rich 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...