Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Removing USB 3.0 drive from External HDD and placing into eSata enclosure for HR34

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,717 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:41 AM

Based on the range of replies I see here, I still can't determine if it will work or not. I wish it would, I'd like to put the drive I have to use, but certainly don't want to ruin it or lose any shows that would be recorded on it. Sucks.

If you're referring to using the brand new Seagate from the usb 3.0 enclosure in a new eSATA enclosure you won't lose anything.  It's a new drive, nothing is on it. 

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,723 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:14 PM

or not

if the drive is different, if a date of production of it was flawless, if capacitors on drive's PCBA are good, etc ... :D [devil]

#23 OFFLINE   xtc

xtc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:28 PM

If you're referring to using the brand new Seagate from the usb 3.0 enclosure in a new eSATA enclosure you won't lose anything.  It's a new drive, nothing is on it. 

Well if it doesn't work with the DVR, will I be able to use it as a regular pc hard drive afterwards? Just literally use the enclosure and plug into the pc and its ready to go? no formatting or anything?

And what if it works initially, but then fails because it wasn't designed for DVRs, I certainly don't want to lose saved shows that were recorded on it.

In general, if it's connected to the DVR and works, can I expect everything is good to go, or can something all the sudden go bad a few days, weeks or months later???

#24 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,723 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:40 PM

yes, it will works for PC, although you will need to format it: NTFS for Win, HPFS for Mac, EXT3 for Linux

#25 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,717 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:20 PM

Well if it doesn't work with the DVR, will I be able to use it as a regular pc hard drive afterwards? Just literally use the enclosure and plug into the pc and its ready to go? no formatting or anything?

And what if it works initially, but then fails because it wasn't designed for DVRs, I certainly don't want to lose saved shows that were recorded on it.

In general, if it's connected to the DVR and works, can I expect everything is good to go, or can something all the sudden go bad a few days, weeks or months later???

If it doesn't work on the HR, odds are it will, then it will definitely work on your PC.  The only reason anything would "go bad" later is if the drive is defective.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#26 OFFLINE   xtc

xtc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:14 PM

Ok, i guess i will give it a try. Although when someone said these are not made to work with DVRs while others are, it kinda scares me.

Can someone give me advice on an enclosure to buy? I'm guessing it should have a fan?

#27 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,723 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:35 PM

Ok, i guess i will give it a try. Although when someone said these are not made to work with DVRs while others are, it kinda scares me.

Can someone give me advice on an enclosure to buy? I'm guessing it should have a fan?

Rich gave it many times - just read his posts in other threads ...

#28 OFFLINE   xtc

xtc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:35 AM

As usual on those threads there is no clear winner. Some like the TT, some don't and say there's a problem with the power switch.  some like the Vantec, others complain that it doesn't have a fan. So I don't see any clear answer really. I guess the best thing to do is get an enclosure with a fan? So confusing.

And why do people like the TT, just cause it's a simple plug and play, or is there any benefit in using it over an enclosure. No fan to cool the drive there either, so what's so great about it???

#29 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,717 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:10 AM

As usual on those threads there is no clear winner. Some like the TT, some don't and say there's a problem with the power switch.  some like the Vantec, others complain that it doesn't have a fan. So I don't see any clear answer really. I guess the best thing to do is get an enclosure with a fan? So confusing.

And why do people like the TT, just cause it's a simple plug and play, or is there any benefit in using it over an enclosure. No fan to cool the drive there either, so what's so great about it???

It's all about what YOU like.  I've used both the TT dock and the Vantec and both work equally.  As for the TT dock and power switch, it's not like you're turning it off and on all the time.  As for a fan, you don't need one as long as there is airflow.  The TT is just easy to use, it has no performance advantage over the Vantec enclosure.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#30 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,723 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:14 AM

the arguments posted many times ... nothing new here

Why not join common effort thread and read/quote some aspects of the choices there? making new threads will not help other ppl nor concentrate knowledge in right place

#31 OFFLINE   xtc

xtc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:50 AM

the arguments posted many times ... nothing new here

Why not join common effort thread and read/quote some aspects of the choices there? making new threads will not help other ppl nor concentrate knowledge in right place

Yes it will. Maybe you enjoy going through the clutter of 2,500+ posts dating back several years with mostly obsolete information when you just need a quick answer, but most people don't have that much time on their hands.

Edited by xtc, 23 June 2013 - 10:50 AM.

#32 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,723 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:03 AM

use Search... read from last posts ...

perhaps everything what wrote before you doesn't have value and you will try to re-write ... good luck

Edited by P Smith, 23 June 2013 - 11:04 AM.

#33 OFFLINE   xtc

xtc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:34 AM

use Search... read from last posts ...
perhaps everything what wrote before you doesn't have value and you will try to re-write ... good luck

I am hoping that English is not your first or primary language based on the posts I have seen from you, cause if it is... Ooofah!

#34 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,521 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:37 AM

I am hoping that English is not your first or primary language based on the posts I have seen from you, cause if it is... Ooofah!

Guys, guys, guys....let's keep it clean. no need to "call out" anybody
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#35 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,209 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:57 AM

Pete tries to get his thoughts across as well as he can.  He's been doing much better lately.  We've given you every answer you need to make your decision, no need to attack him.  I gotta admit I've done the same thing and I regret it.  

Rich

spam firewall