Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Polk Audio? JBL? Or something else?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   zx10guy

zx10guy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:07 AM

I wonder how many of those that profess to care about sound quality actually go the full distance in having proper speaker placement and acoustically treating their rooms.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,529 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:26 AM

I wonder how many of those that profess to care about sound quality actually go the full distance in having proper speaker placement and acoustically treating their rooms.

Guilty!...... When I had my Home Theater Room built acoustics and speaker placement were a priority.

• zx10guy likes this

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#23 OFFLINE   zx10guy

zx10guy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:28 AM

Guilty!...... When I had my Home Theater Room built acoustics and speaker placement were a priority.

:up:

#24 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:47 AM

I make my home purchase decisions around being able to utilize proper speaker placement and acoustical treating along with equalization parameters are essential but the OP here wants to know about soundbars and despite the fact that most are a poor substitute for the real thing, there is reasons where one may be compelled to use one in which case the upper end Yamaha YSP line offers an amazing soundstage.

I went with the YSP in my master bedroom because speaker placement options was nowhere near optimal and it would have been a complete remodel to run surround wires hidden. My master bedroom is 736 sqft with high vaulted ceilings. Its layout is such that I have a 23 ft depth from back wall to front wall and 32 ft "width" with a reclining sofa at the foot of the bed for consuming the AV experience. The TV sits on a raised tilted platform above the soundbar atop a 48 inch high fireplace mantle fortunately centered. A very non optimal environment made quite enjoyable by the YSP's ability to set its parameters to the room.

Is it league with a high end 5 or 7.1 system? No. It can't offer the discrete locational nuances a real speaker deployment can. OTOH, it offers a very wide soundstage, good full bodied sound and I put it ahead of the HTIAB level and about in line with real systems using constrained satellite speaker systems.

Its amplifier per speaker and beam calibration create phantom speakers around the room! If you walk around you can hear what seems a speaker at the points where one should be. It is just reflection off the walls! Because it is launched from the front if it is a sole sound emission not hidden within other sounds you might catch the launch and the reflection. But on an action film soundtrack HOOO BOY! One would be hard pressed to tell it wasn't a full 5 or 7.1 system. Now in my case its a 42 speaker array with 2 additional L/R tweeters plus a 12 in Polk sub and an MSRP of almost 2,200 dollars but its abilities within my room constraints make it an ideal solution for the situation. Short of hiding wires, re mudding and texturing drywall, repainting, etc. (which leads to new carpets, drapes, linens) :-(

These other soundbar wanabes that offer a 5 or 7 speaker array cannot begin to compare. But they can in a normal sized room offer a rich central speaker that gives sound far better than the TV speakers which in some peoples minds is all they want. In some cases they could use the TV analog audio out to feed a nice PC 2.1 speaker system and be just as happy.

Don "if everbody was an audio snob what would the world be like?" Bolton

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#25 OFFLINE   zx10guy

zx10guy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:53 PM

I make my home purchase decisions around being able to utilize proper speaker placement and acoustical treating along with equalization parameters are essential but the OP here wants to know about soundbars and despite the fact that most are a poor substitute for the real thing, there is reasons where one may be compelled to use one in which case the upper end Yamaha YSP line offers an amazing soundstage.

I went with the YSP in my master bedroom because speaker placement options was nowhere near optimal and it would have been a complete remodel to run surround wires hidden. My master bedroom is 736 sqft with high vaulted ceilings. Its layout is such that I have a 23 ft depth from back wall to front wall and 32 ft "width" with a reclining sofa at the foot of the bed for consuming the AV experience. The TV sits on a raised tilted platform above the soundbar atop a 48 inch high fireplace mantle fortunately centered. A very non optimal environment made quite enjoyable by the YSP's ability to set its parameters to the room.

Is it league with a high end 5 or 7.1 system? No. It can't offer the discrete locational nuances a real speaker deployment can. OTOH, it offers a very wide soundstage, good full bodied sound and I put it ahead of the HTIAB level and about in line with real systems using constrained satellite speaker systems.

Its amplifier per speaker and beam calibration create phantom speakers around the room! If you walk around you can hear what seems a speaker at the points where one should be. It is just reflection off the walls! Because it is launched from the front if it is a sole sound emission not hidden within other sounds you might catch the launch and the reflection. But on an action film soundtrack HOOO BOY! One would be hard pressed to tell it wasn't a full 5 or 7.1 system. Now in my case its a 42 speaker array with 2 additional L/R tweeters plus a 12 in Polk sub and an MSRP of almost 2,200 dollars but its abilities within my room constraints make it an ideal solution for the situation. Short of hiding wires, re mudding and texturing drywall, repainting, etc. (which leads to new carpets, drapes, linens) :-(

These other soundbar wanabes that offer a 5 or 7 speaker array cannot begin to compare. But they can in a normal sized room offer a rich central speaker that gives sound far better than the TV speakers which in some peoples minds is all they want. In some cases they could use the TV analog audio out to feed a nice PC 2.1 speaker system and be just as happy.

Don "if everbody was an audio snob what would the world be like?" Bolton

Don,

The point of my post wasn't to hold the OP to task about his decision to go with a sound bar.  It's with some of the responders to this thread criticizing him for his choice.  I wanted to know of those that were harsh in their replies have themselves done what is required to really get proper acoustical reproduction in their listening environments.  I too can go on and on with my equipment choices and how I've set up my main listening room.  But I don't.  And even with having a dedicated sound room with acoustical treatments, dedicated power runs with balanced power transformers, etc, etc, I have even considered the use of a sound bar in my other system in the family room.  There are times when I look at my system and wish I didn't have to turn on all the various components just to casually watch TV.  If I can find a sound bar which meets most of my requirements, I would have one installed and wouldn't give it a second thought with it along side the 2 channel system I have in there (B&W Nautilus 805, Velodyne HGS12II, Velodyne SMS-1, Bryston BP25, Emotiva XPA-2, VPI HW19Jr MKIII and Audioquest PT9 tone arm/Sumiko BluePoint, and Classe CDP .3.)

Edited by zx10guy, 22 June 2013 - 02:56 PM.

#26 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,714 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:16 PM

guys, when you posing your equipment, pleas add its price next to the name ;)

#27 OFFLINE   zx10guy

zx10guy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:30 PM

Well, paying top dollar for expensive equipment doesn't guarantee that you'll get every dollar spent in acoustical performance.  I've had many debates with others about this and have held my tongue on numerous occasions when someone posts pictures of some speakers they've spent $20,000 a pair for; to end up flushing that investment down the toilet when they shove those speakers into a corner sandwiched by a bulky home entertainment system.  That to me is a bigger travesty than someone who just buys a home theater in a box system.

#28 OFFLINE   ron mexico75

ron mexico75

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:50 PM

Wow..........so no JBL and no Polk audio then. I don't want a true surround system that's why I asked which one would be better. I was hoping some people that were knowledgeable about these things could help me choose.

#29 OFFLINE   ron mexico75

ron mexico75

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:49 PM

Wow..........so no JBL and no Polk audio then. I don't want a true surround system that's why I asked which one would be better. I was hoping some people that were knowledgeable about these things could help me choose.

#30 OFFLINE   ron mexico75

ron mexico75

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:48 PM

#31 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,714 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:13 PM

wow ! triple posts ? perhaps delete it ?

#32 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,469 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:23 PM

Don,

It's with some of the responders to this thread criticizing him for his choice. I

The TS came to this site for some advice or opinions. I gave mine, I was never trying to criticize the TS for his choice. That is why I stayed out of this thread since I don't have any sound bar "experience"
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#33 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:00 PM

Hey if my sig started a war I apologize.

I was really trying to point out that there are some reasons where such devices do fill the bill to where even I had to lower my standards for a particular instance. I am most persnickity about my AV equipment.

Anyhow no disrepect intended.

Don "self confessed audio snob" Bolton

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#34 OFFLINE   ron mexico75

ron mexico75

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:41 PM

I tried 3 times to delete and it said deleted.

#35 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,714 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:58 PM

I tried 3 times to delete and it said deleted.

still here ... I would open each one and delete again

#36 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:13 AM

ron I gotta say it looks like you spend most of your time reading other people's reviews and buying based on other people's opinions rather than picking a few models based on reviews and opinions and going to evaluate them yourselves.  Seems like an easy way to buy something that may not suit your individual tastes.  The research part you do is great, but I would never buy any tv "sight unseen" or audio equipment "sound unheard", thats just asking for trouble.

#37 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,728 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:40 AM

To add to what you said, I would say sound is even mor difficult than picture, because so many people hear different frequencies and speakers have such different pitches to them.

#38 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,172 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:45 AM

It is very possible that the TS was having trouble like I was. For the last couple of days sometimes I could not even open the forum web site. Also, when I was on the web site at time and I clicked the back button it would do nothing ( Using IE 10 ), When I clicked the down arrow next to the Back / Forward buttons the window that opens was full of things with google-analytics in it.

I went into Internet options , Security Privacy and added www.google-analytics.com to the list with a Block. I also deleted all temporary files that had that name in them. So far I have not had any more problems.

Edited by jimmie57, 23 June 2013 - 07:31 AM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#39 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,529 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:35 AM

It is very possible that the TS was having trouble like I was. For the last couple of days sometimes I could not even open the forum web site. Also, when I was on the web site at time and I clicked the back button it would do nothing ( Using IE 10 ), When I clicked the down arrow next to the Back / Forward buttons the window that opens was full of things with google-analytics in it.

I went into Internet options , Security and added www.google-analytics.com to the list with a Block. I also deleted all temporary files that had that name in them. So far I have not had any more problems.

Same here. For the past few days I've experienced the same using both Internet Explorer 10 and Google Chrome.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#40 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 933 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:00 AM

I've had and thoroughly enjoyed my NHT SuperZero's for over 15 years now. Still reasonably priced at $99 (whole system for around $850) People who visit us are also very impressed with their performance for their size.

Just sayin......

HR44-500 HDMI to 42"Toshiba
HR21-100 HDMI to 32" LG and 20" AOC

Directv since 1996(the USSB,Pegasus days...)
...sometimes, there is no answer...
http://woodlandweather.org/

spam firewall