Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

"Fortified" ice cream?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:21 PM

I recently checked the nutrition labels on an ice cream contained and was surprised to see that it was nutritionally bankrupt.  When I was a kid, my mother used to let me have ice cream when i was ill because she (and I) both figured that since it was made from milk, it must be good for me,

Milk is apparently unnaturally fortified with Vitamin D, so why isn't ice cream similarly fortified, or is some and I just haven't found it yet?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,217 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:50 PM

I recently checked the nutrition labels on an ice cream contained and was surprised to see that it was nutritionally bankrupt.  When I was a kid, my mother used to let me have ice cream when i was ill because she (and I) both figured that since it was made from milk, it must be good for me,

Milk is apparently unnaturally fortified with Vitamin D, so why isn't ice cream similarly fortified, or is some and I just haven't found it yet?

Must have some nutritional value, no?  

Rich

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,445 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:27 PM

Heck, Breyer's can no longer be called Ice Cream, it's "Frozen Dairy Dessert". For us, it's something we get on occasion, so when we do we usually splurge on one of the local varieties that are at least closer to the real thing.

#4 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,217 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:44 PM

Heck, Breyer's can no longer be called Ice Cream, it's "Frozen Dairy Dessert". For us, it's something we get on occasion, so when we do we usually splurge on one of the local varieties that are at least closer to the real thing.

I had a friend who was in the ice cream business.  He explained the difference between premium brands and cheap brands.  Simply put, the heavier the container (assuming both are the same size) the better the ice cream.  I've found that to be true.

Rich

#5 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:48 PM

What did happen to Breyer? About four or five years ago it became uneatable.

Edited by yosoyellobo, 21 June 2013 - 01:49 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   dmurphy

dmurphy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:50 PM

Try Kirkland Signature ice cream from Costco.  Wow, oh wow, is it delicious!  Also has a bunch of Vitamin A and Calcium.....  I guess that counts for something?

http://www.fooducate...5F-1231380C180E

Gets a "C" according to Fooducate, but not sure I'd want an ice cream rating an "A" either. :)

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,445 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:57 PM

I had a friend who was in the ice cream business.  He explained the difference between premium brands and cheap brands.  Simply put, the heavier the container (assuming both are the same size) the better the ice cream.  I've found that to be true.

Rich

Right, some air is important, but is also cheap.

Best ice cream I've ever had is Jeni's from Columbus, but that stuff sells for almost $10 a pint locally. 

#8 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:11 PM

Hmmm...

I googled Vitamin D milk and nutrition, and none of the vitamin D milk entries found in the three highest google rated pages said that a single serving of Vitamin D milk had even 1% of my recommended daily allowance (standard that replaced minimum daily requirement many years ago)

From a New York Times web page dated today:

Most milk in the United States is fortified with 400 IU vitamin D per quart. It should be noted that foods made from milk, such as cheese and ice cream, are usually not fortified. Vitamin D is added to many breakfast cereals and to some brands of soy beverages, orange juice,  yogurt, and margarine. Check the nutrition fact panel on the food label. Supplements

From a source called Fooducate:

... is milk a good source of Vitamin D? Not exactly . . .

Many studies have found milk contains less Vitamin D than it purports. And you've only got around 20-25% of Vitamin D in fortified milk - you shouldn't drink 4 glasses of a milk a day.

Gee, I think that if I get one fourth of an essential nutrient from one serving of anything, that's pretty good, but it doesn't explain why the three pages I checked for Vitamin D Milk's vitamin D content had it at zero

Edited by AntAltMike, 21 June 2013 - 02:13 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,525 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:19 PM

I had a friend who was in the ice cream business.  He explained the difference between premium brands and cheap brands.  Simply put, the heavier the container (assuming both are the same size) the better the ice cream.

Has to do with the cream content.  Cream is heavier than water and other liquid fillers.  Premium ice creams have more cream, which is also why they're more expensive given dairy prices.

Whole milk is just one of those things that are better for you naturally.  Like pure orange juice, honey and a few other things.

The problems start coming in when companies like Monsanto enter the picture with their 'modifications' so that you really don't know what you're getting.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

spam firewall