Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

Under The Dome

• Please log in to reply
437 replies to this topic

#276 OFFLINE   jdskycaster

jdskycaster

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:58 AM

Now we are getting somewhere.  Hopefully with this weeks developments they can kick this show into high gear.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#277 OFFLINE   heathramos

heathramos

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:20 PM

I'm still waiting for Snake Plissken to show up.

:)

3 HR20's
1 Channel Master 4228 antenna in attic
1 Samsung 55" LCD (connected using hdmi cable)
1 Samsung 46" LCD (connected using hdmi cable)
1 Panasonic 42" Plasma (connected using hdmi cable)
1 Popcorn Hour A-400
1 Popcorn Hour C-200

#278 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:44 PM

The deal where the kids are magically surrounded by a 3D map of the galaxy is a bit obvious. We are here, you are there. Welcome to the Universe, humans. That's the ultimate hackneyed sci-fi 101 Writing for Dummies.

#279 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:49 PM

I'm waiting for original dome-nut Charles Foster Kane to show up...

rosebud-snow-globe-sled-citizen-kane-ors

Edited by Maruuk, 28 August 2013 - 04:10 PM.

#280 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,391 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:42 PM

Anyone care to guess are what the Falling Pink Stars are going to be?

Probably, harbingers of things to come, good or bad.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#281 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,134 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:23 PM

I have taken great hope from the show that after relentlessly stalking and imprisoning a female, she will eventuality begin to like me.

#282 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,141 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:25 PM

I have taken great hope from the show that after relentlessly stalking and imprisoning a female, she will eventuality begin to like me.

Like Patty Hearst? 

Guess it depends on her psyche and solidity. Then again, I've heard it is illegal in many states.......

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#283 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:36 PM

It didn't workout very well in Cleveland and he had 3. 

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#284 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:29 PM

In the movie/play "Carousel" Shirley Jones explains to her daughter that it's okay for her father to hit her (as he had brutally struck Shirley earlier in the flick) because when a guy who loves you beats you up it "feels like a kiss". Oscar Hammerstein must've been boning up on Sharia Law when he wrote that.

After all, Jr. was just doing it for her own good! Of course, just as all gay characters traditionally had to commit suicide in every Hollywood film, Jr. will have to die a horrible death for his politically-incorrect behavior. That's the New Hollywood morality at play.

Edited by Maruuk, 29 August 2013 - 03:35 PM.

#285 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,134 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:38 PM

It didn't workout very well in Cleveland and he had 3. 

He got away with it for 10 years and he didn't even have a dome or a mini dome with an egg and pink stars.

#286 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 513 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:28 PM

I admit the show started out kind of clunky and hackneyed, but it's started to gain a bit of richness and suspense to it in the past few weeks.

I enjoyed every separate story in Monday's (8/26) episode, and I was interested to see where each one was going.

Wow!  I have just the opposite opinion of the show.  I think, every week, that it just can't get more stupid, but it does--every week!  Gee, we're stuck under a dome, so let's all just turn in our guns.  OKAY!  Let's start a fight club.  Huh?!?  dumped the SP after this one.  It just overran my irrationality threshold.

• russ9 likes this
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#287 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,800 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:45 PM

I'll watch it for three more episodes (or whatever it has left this year) but I agree that the story is getting stretched.

"You lied to me and killed my husband ... but it was his fault so I'm OK with that."

Big Jim allowing "things to work out" ... and another death under the dome at his hand.

The beloved straight arrow sheriff allows a major drug operation to thrive as long as the drugs poison someone else's town.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#288 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:02 PM

Hey, you guys are applying logic to what's essentially a freak show. It's supposed to be nonsensical. It's on network TV!

#289 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,800 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:24 PM

I said it myself over three weeks ago ...

Are people expecting science with their fiction? :)

I was hoping for less of a soap opera ... but I don't know Steven King well enough to know if this is normal or one of those "based on a story by" derivations that is becoming "based on characters created by" - cashing in on the name to sell a less than the best product.
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#290 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,134 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:59 PM

I was hoping for less of a soap opera ... but I don't know Steven King well enough to know if this is normal or one of those "based on a story by" derivations that is becoming "based on characters created by" - cashing in on the name to sell a less than the best product.

Very few adaptations of his books truly represent them well. Even the good movies are not close enough to the writing to be considered a Stephen King movie.

It (pardon the pun) seems that the television versions suffer the most. I think he knows the consequences and just enjoys the paycheck in his age these days. Heck he is touring in a band now and just having fun.

#291 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,420 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:49 PM

Very few adaptations of his books truly represent them well. Even the good movies are not close enough to the writing to be considered a Stephen King movie.

It (pardon the pun) seems that the television versions suffer the most. I think he knows the consequences and just enjoys the paycheck in his age these days. Heck he is touring in a band now and just having fun.

I have to agree, I have read The Colorado Kid and there is not much similarity to Haven.  I have Under The Dome in my Kindle app and will see what I think of the comparison this winter. That said, I am enjoying the series.  You just have to not try to rationalize everything. If you think about it Star Trek played fast and loose with science as we know it and nobody complained about that

My Setup

#292 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,617 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:10 PM

I have to agree, I have read The Colorado Kid and there is not much similarity to Haven.  I have Under The Dome in my Kindle app and will see what I think of the comparison this winter. That said, I am enjoying the series.  You just have to not try to rationalize everything. If you think about it Star Trek played fast and loose with science as we know it and nobody complained about that

While I agree with you in that we just have to let it all slide, the original "Star Trek" did get more than its share of derision.

270px-ST_TroubleWithTribbles.jpg

That's The Trouble with Tribbles. :grin:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#293 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,800 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 12:19 AM

Star Trek is set in the future. There will be plenty of scientific advances over the next few hundred years to explain the "discrepancies" people have with Star Trek. Just think of how far we have come with science over the past 100 years. Or even 50.

Then again, Under The Dome is set in an alternate reality where Chester's Mill exists in Maine.

Oh, and there is a dome over the town. :)
(I'm not sure what is under the town ... other than a fresh water spring and a lot of buried secrets.)

#294 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,141 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:30 AM

Not one damn lobster, and has it occurred to anyone else that there's not even the slightest trace of a Maine accent? Still, I am watching eagerly. 

#295 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,507 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:42 PM

Not one damn lobster, and has it occurred to anyone else that there's not even the slightest trace of a Maine accent?

Some of the initial publicity said it was supposed to be Pennsylvania -- for example, this review, which came out the day of the first episode, refers to that.

Of course, nothing in the show has really indicated Pennsylvania, either. If I recall correctly, the license plates on the cars are highly generic.

And the boat Big Jim used in this week's episode had a North Carolina registration number (makes sense, since that's where the show is filmed).
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#296 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,141 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:15 PM

There's been a number of mentions of a Maine town, and Maine gets a lot of tourists, so license plates are o.k.  :)

Anyway, I miss me some Mainers this year! 

#297 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:35 PM

Are we there yet?
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#298 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,141 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:42 PM

Aaay-yup! 

#299 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 908 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:23 AM

It's definitely very "based on the characters created by".

#300 OFFLINE   heathramos

heathramos

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:06 PM

I found this last episode annoying

Spoiler

Umm...okay.

Edited by heathramos, 03 September 2013 - 08:07 PM.

3 HR20's
1 Channel Master 4228 antenna in attic
1 Samsung 55" LCD (connected using hdmi cable)
1 Samsung 46" LCD (connected using hdmi cable)
1 Panasonic 42" Plasma (connected using hdmi cable)
1 Popcorn Hour A-400
1 Popcorn Hour C-200

Protected By... spam firewall...And...