Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

Under The Dome

• Please log in to reply
437 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:37 PM

The pilot was all right. Kind of mindless summer entertainment.

I'll probably watch again next week. It wasn't exactly gripping though.

The wife called it "kind of dumb," I believe.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:58 AM

Missed recording it tonight, anybody know if there's any repeat showings?

#23 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:53 PM

It's in the can ... we'll probably watch it in the next few days.

Should we even bother?

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#24 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:55 PM

Greatly enjoy last night show. Glad I had not read the book.

#25 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 569 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:56 PM

I enjoyed the first episode. Looking forward to the next episode.

#26 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:01 PM

Thanks, guys ... that's good enough for me.

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#27 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:55 PM

Color me unimpressed. I will probably watch the second episode to see if it gets better, if not, Bye.

Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#28 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,645 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:02 PM

OK, well now it's out there. Strong cast, nice execution, and nice chilling hints at who's naughty and who's nice. Rachelle Lefever and Britt Robertson can't be beat. Jeff Fahey, who has probably been in a couple of King productions, is also great. Dean Norris and Mike Vogel seem promising. The "cow" was off the hook, as was the delivery truck scene. A perfect summer guilty pleasure.

I was a little confused by the Angie character; first she's a waitress and later she's a candy striper. I guess you can be both at that age, but I had to see her name tag to verify that it was the same girl; they looked the same but somehow different (her hair looks longer as a candy striper and the coloration is even different). She was wearing completely different clothes yet the time frame seems to span just a single day. Went back to watch that twice; still just as confused. It made me suspect that those scenes by the dumpster were from a completely different episode, actually, and were re-edited together later for whatever reason. Except they were not, according to the plot.

But a minor continuity error is acceptable, it just should never happen to that level of confusion in a pilot where you are trying to establish character identity. I watched a ep of Californication the other day where it was night time on the beach, and Hank and his girl du jour walk into the house from there, except sunlight is streaming in like its 2:30 in the afternoon. Pretty bush league.

What is fascinating about Steven King adaptations is that every movie (and I've seen most) was actually very good, while every TV show is actually usually pretty disappointing. Some have been OK, I guess. I liked The Langoliers and that one about the winter storm; Haven, not so much.

But this looks like the typical King technique of creating that "Lifeboat" claustrophobia, placing everyone under stress, and they seeing how everyone reacts, and that precept has usually been the at the center of the stories that don't fare as well as the others that do.

But why nitpick? It's great fun right now, and it will either hold up, meaning I will be there next summer for "Dome 2", or it will fall apart, meaning I won't make it past ep 6. But so far, highly recommended.

Edited by TomCat, 25 June 2013 - 08:08 PM.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#29 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:11 PM

No repeat showing?

#30 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:14 PM

Looks like it will be repeated Sunday, June 30 at 9 p.m.

#31 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,394 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:31 PM

I have read the book and enjoyed it.  I also am watching this series and so far I'm liking what I'm seeing.

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#32 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:37 PM

Ah, thanks Ren!

#33 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:18 PM

Just watched it, not bad, have it season passed

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#34 OFFLINE   frederic1943

frederic1943

Icon

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:30 AM

I was a little confused by the Angie character; first she's a waitress and later she's a candy striper. I guess you can be both at that age, but I had to see her name tag to verify that it was the same girl; they looked the same but somehow different (her hair looks longer as a candy striper and the coloration is even different). She was wearing completely different clothes yet the time frame seems to span just a single day. Went back to watch that twice; still just as confused. It made me suspect that those scenes by the dumpster were from a completely different episode, actually, and were re-edited together later for whatever reason. Except they were not, according to the plot..

Actually it does make sense. When she was dressed as a waitress it was before the dome. When she was dressed as a candy striper was after the dome. With all the injuries after the dome came down the hospital would have called in everybody who could help.

37" Olevia LT37HVS HDTV with HR21-100 connected with HDMI and HR20-700 connected with Component
And
37" Hannspree Nara HDTV with HR21-100 connected with Component

#35 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,255 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:30 AM

It was good enough that I didn't delete my timer. Not sure if it'll be on the top of my list to watch right away but I'll probably do what I do with a lot of series and let it build up a few eps and then watch 2, 3, 4 in a row some evening.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#36 OFFLINE   Jaspear

Jaspear

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:40 AM

When I read the book last summer, Dean Norris was exactly the guy I had in my mind's eye for 'Big' Jim Rennie.  The casting director hit the mark on that one!

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."

Jean Chrétien, Prime Minister of Canada, 1993 - 2003.

#37 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:05 AM

The reason I have not read the book is I want to see how my own teories about what is happening work out.

#38 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:17 AM

One thing kind of irritated me. Why is there wind under the dome? In one of the final scenes her hair is blowing all over the place. Kind of took away from the "pretend there is a dome up there".

#39 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:24 AM

Weather wouldn't stop just because they're in a dome. It's a large-enough area that it could become its own ecosystem. For one thing, the sun is still shining through, heating the air -- which causes it to rise. There also appears to be a significant body of water near the radio station.

You probably wouldn't see any cold fronts and thunderstorms roll through, but you could still see rain if the existing water evaporated and then condensed.

Edited by renbutler, 27 June 2013 - 11:25 AM.

#40 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 905 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:41 AM

The environmental issue is a major theme in the novel. The first episode was better than expected. Many differences with the source material, so it'll be interesting to see how it goes.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...