Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

Under The Dome

• Please log in to reply
423 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,749 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:21 PM

Ah, that must be it!! So, who's the inside guy who's setting them up? What's his payoff? Eternal life?  :hurah:

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,670 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:32 PM

Not questioning the "reality" of the dome at all.

Mysterious are the ways of the force (field).

And yes, the Lord did work in a mysterious way.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#63 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,366 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:38 PM

Actually it does make sense. When she was dressed as a waitress it was before the dome. When she was dressed as a candy striper was after the dome. With all the injuries after the dome came down the hospital would have called in everybody who could help.

OK, that helps. Thanks for that.

I've noticed folks on the internet commenting about the cow and how "the biology seemed a little, ...off?". Yeah, OK, count me in on that. It was still the visual highlight of probably the entire series, and I would have loved to have been the lowly scrub who offhandedly mentioned that idea to the writers and then watched them piss themselves jumping all over it. It's twice the fun with moments like that. No cow split? Take away two of its 5 stars.

But it also would not have been too difficult to have an intern or PA google some MRI electronic slices of human bodies or maybe even dead cows that must be freely available somewhere on the internet, to get some guidance in how to construct that SFX. But, they saved ten bucks and didn't.  So what. It's popcorn TV, and I guess we should probably not split every hair (pun intended) for continuity errors or other gaffes. Still fun.

One nit to pick; the scheduling. It feels like an 8 o'clock show, and not so much like a 10 o'clock show. But then I guess if it was we would not have shots of teens fornicating (not that I needed that shot, really.....changing subject now).

In complete non sequitor, if Rachelle Lefevre makes it through the entire series, I guess I probably will too.

Edited by TomCat, 02 July 2013 - 07:54 PM.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#64 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:51 PM

Yes, sure did, but it didn't bother me, as that was just a detail in CGI (as well as a sometimes crooked line), unlike the plane crash, where they took pains to add details that aren't realistic.

OK?! Now, back to the propane- anyone got a theory? 

Or a theory on who/what is causing the force field? 

No longer, "how high the moon", but "How high the dome!".....

For the hell of it I go with some sort of parallel universes.

#65 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:07 PM

+100 on Rachelle Lefevre. Only reason I watch too. Who cares why they were stockpiling frickin propane? And I bet bet Mother Fletcher down the street is hoarding cardboard. Jeez, King is really phoning it in these days.

What the plot really needs is some sort of inside job element to the dome. Otherwise it's just aliens or some other dimension or whatever that makes no difference. But if townies are secretly involved somehow, it's way more interesting. Hopefully King has at least THAT much writing skill left.

#66 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,749 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:13 PM

Well, do you possibly think your inside job criterion might be met by the bloody propane? That part is very much inside, but not necessarily tied to the force field. 

Just asking if anybody is brave or foolish enough to put forward a theory. I would if I had one. 

#67 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,419 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:36 PM

Hopefully King has at least THAT much writing skill left.

King isn't responsible for the writing on the show itself, beyond the original idea and characters upon which it's based. The main writer on the show is Brian K. Vaughan, who wrote for "Lost," among others.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#68 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,670 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:49 PM

Just asking if anybody is brave or foolish enough to put forward a theory. I would if I had one.

Feeding the aliens seems to be the best answer so far. Or feeding the alien machine that is creating the dome. But the thought that it is some sort of man made machine and there is a different purpose for the dome than in the book is interesting.

The question is: Once we know why there is a dome and what the propane is for how does the series continue? Doesn't that end the story?

That is one thing I liked about the "Flash Forward" TV series. The answer provided a springboard for more questions (even though the series ended). It was a wrap up that could be extended. How will Under The Dome end?
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#69 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,046 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:08 PM

Saw the second episode.  Not our cup of tea, I'm afraid..  Timer deleted.

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#70 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:12 PM

Well the guy already said the propane was being used to make drugs--same drugs the preacher was high on. Hard to imagine that's related to the dome. Though you can bet the writers are already concocting a plot where the propane is used to blow up "the bad guys" whoever they are. I suppose the plot needs to vary from the book since they want to sell it forward as an ongoing series, so folks who read the book don't necessarily know the TV premise, though it's probably similar. I look at it as mindless Summer escapist fare--contentless and forgettable as a John Mayer song.

#71 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:09 PM

John Mayer who?:)

#72 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,749 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:14 PM

Won't  find any argument from over here. 

Still, what if the propane was somehow tied in? 

#73 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,366 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:37 PM

Two eps in, I'm not impressed. The 'dome' is a gimmick that will grow old fast; the writing is bush league and some of the actor's deliveries are reminiscent of a high school play. Even the fire scene, which should have been tense and exciting was amateurish. Finally, the girl being locked in the fallout shelter seems to be an afterthought, but it's not working, at least not for me. Sadly, the best part of the show is the cow, but I don't think it's going very far. :rolleyes:

"The Dome" is far too predictable -- far below CBS' usual high standards for drama.

I can't disagree, although I am still enjoying it. The continuity errors and technical gaffes and WTF? reactions some of these folks are having is pretty hilarious, although I would hate to have them in my bunker when a dome falls here. But you could invent a drinking game regarding those, because there seems to be a lot of them.

Still, its a lot more fun to just laugh and shake your head than it is to nitpick, unless one needs to point this stuff out because it makes them feel less inferior somehow. For example, the owner/publisher of a newspaper doesn't go nuts, barge into a radio station, and start cutting into local broadcasts, at least not in the real world. But we already understood that and don't actually need that pointed out. Again, summer popcorn show, not Masterpiece Theatre. There was a scene underlining that the dome might be somewhat porous, and maybe that is to allay the concerns regarding the greenhouse effect; the laws of physics say it would probably be about 140 degrees in there by now. I know, nitpicking; I promise to stop right now. Star Wars had explosions in outer space that you could hear, although there is no sound in outer space according to Ridley Scott and Alien, so there has to be a bit of creative license allowed, I guess.

Changing the subject a little, maybe the idea is to foster the feeling of claustrophobia, but it appears there are no scenes shot outside the dome (which is a huge dramatic opportunity missed, IMO--they need to start the story of what is the reaction from outside of the dome, and they may not get a season 2 to go there). And there are no wide shots, a visual opportunity missed; I would have loved to see a wide shot of the dome with the smoke from the fire piling up at the top.

But honestly, we need something a little more compelling than a panicked bucket brigade.

Also interesting is that other than one scene in the first ep those outside the dome never seem to have any connection with those inside; its almost as if has become a one-way mirror and they can't see them. Maybe they can, but if so, what explains the domer's inability to ever get their attention, other than amateurish storytelling?

Tonight's ep will determine whether I am still on board or will have to begin FFWD-ing through the stupidity.

Edited by TomCat, 08 July 2013 - 05:41 PM.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#74 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,670 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:31 PM

Changing the subject a little, maybe the idea is to foster the feeling of claustrophobia, but it appears there are no scenes shot outside the dome (which is a huge dramatic opportunity missed, IMO--they need to start the story of what is the reaction from outside of the dome, and they may not get a season 2 to go there). And there are no wide shots, a visual opportunity missed; I would have loved to see a wide shot of the dome with the smoke from the fire piling up at the top.

There have been some shots outside the dome, but I agree that there is plenty of room for development for the outside folks. Where did the townies who were outside the dome go? The fiance firefighter? Others? Have they been whisked away by the government? There does not seem to be any interaction from outside ... in "real life" I'd expect those trapped outside the dome to be trying to communicate. Especially townies. Signs ... writing on paper and holding it up. Anything.

The limited scenes outside are just background noise ... and we have heard more over the radio than "live" from people outside.

Then again, the series is "under the dome" not "the dome".

There is one recurring "establishing shot" of the dome with lights all around the outside of the base that shows the whole dome ... but it looks too fake to me (too small for all the stuff going on inside). The scale is off. I am glad that they don't show it more.

#75 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:37 PM

Well the guy already said the propane was being used to make drugs

I don't remember anyone saying that?

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#76 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,366 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:52 PM

...Then again, the series is "under the dome" not "the dome"...

Excellent point taken

#77 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,737 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:35 AM

I never see a person on the outside react to a person on the inside. Maybe the people on the outside can not see into the dome.

Edited by jimmie57, 10 July 2013 - 02:36 AM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#78 OFFLINE   larryk

larryk

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:23 AM

I don't remember anyone saying that?

It was in ep #1

#79 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,670 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:35 PM

I never see a person on the outside react to a person on the inside. Maybe the people on the outside can not see into the dome.

Episode 1 showed the firefighters stopping before hitting the dome and the couple touching the opposite sides of the dome wall. Since then the outsiders have ignored the insiders, apparently including a naked newspaper reporter.

The POV shots from outside the dome show the inside.

It would be interesting if the dome did not allow people on the outside to see in ... perhaps a big mirror ... but the shots up until now show it as crystal clear.

Pink stars are falling in rows.

#80 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,420 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:54 PM

I doubt if there will be an episode with anyone not in the dome. This whole series will be only from under the dome perspective.

Drew
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR:HR34-7, Dn:HR24-1, MB:HR24-5, Bm:HR21-2, Kt:H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV '00

spam firewall