Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

Under The Dome

• Please log in to reply
437 replies to this topic

#76 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,785 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:52 PM

...Then again, the series is "under the dome" not "the dome"...

Excellent point taken

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#77 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,596 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:35 AM

I never see a person on the outside react to a person on the inside. Maybe the people on the outside can not see into the dome.

Edited by jimmie57, 10 July 2013 - 02:36 AM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM, HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#78 OFFLINE   larryk

larryk

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:23 AM

I don't remember anyone saying that?

It was in ep #1

#79 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,380 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:35 PM

I never see a person on the outside react to a person on the inside. Maybe the people on the outside can not see into the dome.

Episode 1 showed the firefighters stopping before hitting the dome and the couple touching the opposite sides of the dome wall. Since then the outsiders have ignored the insiders, apparently including a naked newspaper reporter.

The POV shots from outside the dome show the inside.

It would be interesting if the dome did not allow people on the outside to see in ... perhaps a big mirror ... but the shots up until now show it as crystal clear.

Pink stars are falling in rows.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#80 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,543 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:54 PM

I doubt if there will be an episode with anyone not in the dome. This whole series will be only from under the dome perspective.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Bsm: HR24-1, Den HR24-2, MB: HR24-5, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#81 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:07 AM

Since the mantra is "Pink stars falling in rows" one might suppose the image is of meteorites falling, thus the dome was constructed by alien powers to PROTECT the town from a future cataclysm from the skies.

They made another reference of the propane related to drug production Monday night.

But it is sadly true, so many of these subplots are totally generic and don't connect to or rely on the dome in any way. And the dome just sits there and doesn't add any new twists week after week. Lost always added new twists and clues, Jericho offered new info and clues and such every week. The Dome...just sits there.

But it's Summer and nothing else is on!

And that redhead and the shelter chick are hot...

That super annoying liitle LA teen bee-yatch is NOT. And the shoehorning in of the achingly politically-correct lesbo moms is utterly gratuitous and insufferable. Where's my FF button??

Edited by Maruuk, 11 July 2013 - 01:12 AM.

#82 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,878 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:33 PM

<< Snipped bits out >>

And the shoehorning in of the achingly politically-correct lesbo moms is utterly gratuitous and insufferable. Where's my FF button??

Agree- not just on this, but it raised a question in my mind: Are there enough lesbians (or other LGBT!) out there in TV land to be an audience to be catered to? 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#83 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,543 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:02 PM

Agree- not just on this, but it raised a question in my mind: Are there enough lesbians (or other LGBT!) out there in TV land to be an audience to be catered to? 

I'm guessing here, but I suspect any non-visiting lesbians would want to remain in the closet if they lived in that town.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once

#84 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,596 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:23 AM

I noticed that the kid of the lesbian couple did not like it at all to have to tell someone this is her mother and this person is also her mother.

I would suspect that this will happen a lot as time goes on. It is totally unnatural. I have gotten to the point that I now FF over parts of a show that caters to this type of programming.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM, HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#85 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,251 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:38 AM

I noticed that the kid of the lesbian couple did not like it at all to have to tell someone this is her mother and this person is also her mother.

I would suspect that this will happen a lot as time goes on. It is totally unnatural. I have gotten to the point that I now FF over parts of a show that caters to this type of programming.

I agree. Unfortunately being "Politically Correct" outweighs being uncomfortable or what's unnatural.

DIRECTV customer since 1995.

#86 ONLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 2,228 posts
  • LocationJacksonville Fl

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:21 AM

Two lesbian out of thirty-two characters so far. Who open the gate?:)

#87 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:43 PM

It's not the presence of alternate lifestyle characters, it's the way they are so artificially and self-consciously jammed into this story. It feels like some suit showed up at a story conference who had just come back from a rainbow coalition media meeting at the White House and the network was getting pressure to cram in MSNBC-friendly characters so they called central casting for a couple of extreme stereotypes. That offends me as an audience member. They have nothing to do with the plot. Good thing sock puppets don't have a minority lobby or we'd have Bert & Ernie smuggling propane into the dome. And the inevitable redneck bar confrontation: "You have a problem with this hand up my ass??"

Edited by Maruuk, 12 July 2013 - 12:46 PM.

#88 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,785 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:14 PM

It's not the presence of alternate lifestyle characters, it's the way they are so artificially and self-consciously jammed into this story. It feels like some suit showed up at a story conference who had just come back from a rainbow coalition media meeting at the White House and the network was getting pressure to cram in MSNBC-friendly characters so they called central casting for a couple of extreme stereotypes. That offends me as an audience member. They have nothing to do with the plot. Good thing sock puppets don't have a minority lobby or we'd have Bert & Ernie smuggling propane into the dome. And the inevitable redneck bar confrontation: "You have a problem with this hand up my ass??"

And earlier...

...But it is sadly true, so many of these subplots are totally generic and don't connect to or rely on the dome in any way. And the dome just sits there and doesn't add any new twists week after week. Lost always added new twists and clues, Jericho offered new info and clues and such every week. The Dome...just sits there.

But it's Summer and nothing else is on!

And that redhead and the shelter chick are hot...

That super annoying liitle LA teen bee-yatch is NOT. And the shoehorning in of the achingly politically-correct lesbo moms is utterly gratuitous and insufferable. Where's my FF button??

Finally, women you find attractive. And I can't diagree; Rachelle Lefevre was hot enough to get me to watch all 8 episodes of Life on a Stick, one of the sillier (but fun) sitcoms in recent memory. She has a number of pretty super attributes, but that hair might be the best hair ever in history; L'Oreal should be knocking down her door. Since you have stopped berating hot chicks for not being hot enough your posts have really been great. Keep it up. I think you summed this up well.

And I almost agreed about the daughter (up until the last episode), but she is growing on me. Wipe off the goth makeup and she's actually pretty cute. Oddly enough, women that start out looking plain to me but start looking better the more you see them are the ones that have staying power, while ironically the ones that turn everyone's heads the first time they walk into a room, well, don't..

On the other topic, personally, I think it does a disservice to the LGBT community when they are protrayed as such insufferable A-holes like they are here. If you are different than most other people but wish you could change their general attitudes about those like you, you have to get your S together and represent. IOW, there is a burden on you larger than on most, because your actions will shape their impressions of those like you.

Back to the show, Dean Norris is playing this pretty heavy-handed, there is nothing subtle about his evil side, and I guess that is the way its done in a show this un-subtle. But that creepy smile of his really makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. He is either a great actor or stumbled into this role somehow and just happened to get it just right. It is certainly no wonder why Junior is so F'-ed up; I almost feel sorry for him.

Edited by TomCat, 12 July 2013 - 08:22 PM.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#89 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,878 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:19 PM

Good points. Rachelle's hair is amazing. Over all she reminds me of another red-headed actress whose face I can see but no name attached at this moment. 

#90 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,543 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:24 PM

Good points. Rachelle's hair is amazing. Over all she reminds me of another red-headed actress whose face I can see but no name attached at this moment. 

The redhead on the Unforgettable?

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once

#91 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,878 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:28 AM

It was Debra Messing. Interesting actress- when she's hot she's hot, and when she's not, she is NOT!

Lots of different looks, including one with hair in ringlets, a bit like Ms. Rachelle.

#92 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,631 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:43 PM

The British gal on the last couple of seasons of Lost is also a beautiful red-head. 

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#93 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,631 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:52 PM

A red head I find stunning.  Erin Chambers.

MV5BNjExMTc3NTQ2MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTE5

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#94 ONLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 2,228 posts
  • LocationJacksonville Fl

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:07 PM

A red head I find stunning.  Erin Chambers.

MV5BNjExMTc3NTQ2MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTE5

How do you spell whoa?

#95 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,785 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:08 PM

The redhead on the Unforgettable?

Aussie Poppy Montgomery, who was a blonde for many years on Without a Trace. That show and Unforgettable were both unwatchable, but she was almost enought to get me to watch them anyway, although I never really did. There are women who are attractive enough to have a show where all they do is recite the phone book, and she is one of them.  It would be difficult, arguably, to find many who can top her. Of course a retweaked Unforgettable redux is just about to start on CBS; maybe inprovements have brought it above the Mendoza line. Here's hoping.

It was Debra Messing. Interesting actress- when she's hot she's hot, and when she's not, she is NOT!

Lots of different looks, including one with hair in ringlets, a bit like Ms. Rachelle.

Talk about a girl that could turn heads. She still looks amazing at 45, but if you missed her on NYPD Blue at age 26, you were really missing out. She was like a sister of one of the leading characters' wives or something. But, really something.

The British gal on the last couple of seasons of Lost is also a beautiful red-head. 

Rebecca Mader, who always looks good on everything, But she was on a FOX (?) show called Justice a few years ago and was really glammed up. I don't think she has looked better anywhere. So good looking I could never follow the plot. It was a pretty good show, too, with  a great cast; Victor Garber, Kerr Smith, Eamonn Waiker and others. It was like Scandal without a scandal, where they were a law firm of fixer lawyers. But on FOX, 13 and you're out,

#96 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:49 AM

Rebecca Mader does nothing for me (tho great legs), but Erin Chambers and Poppy Montgomery are spellbinding. Who doesn't love a super-cute redhead? Young Debbie Messing was stunning except for bad legs, and that's a dealkiller. Kate Winslet, Keira Knightley and to some extent Emily Blunt are held back from awesomness by this affliction. Sometimes redhead Jennifer Lawrence has terrific legs. Great legs more than make up for a shortage upstairs. But speaking of awesome redheads with killer legs...

Karen-Gillan-karen-gillan-17716199-350-5

Dr......who??

#97 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,878 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:08 AM

<image missing>....

#98 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,878 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:24 AM

Pink stars falling in rows! I loved how the iPhone camera, set up to record the two teenagers locking hands, could then move to a horizontal axis and perfectly frame them passed out on the floor. Those iPhones are great! must be a beta iOS.....

#99 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,380 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:48 PM

Want a fancy phone? Barbie's ability to play back voicemail was surprising. I can't do that on my phone when I'm in a no service area. :)

He must have a phone that stores voicemail on the device.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#100 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,878 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:02 PM

I think iPhones may do that. Obviously, one has to have been in a receiving location to have downloaded it. 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...