Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR44 questions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bpratt

bpratt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 575 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:00 PM

Several years ago when all I had was a couple of HR10-250s, I created MRV by mounting the two HR10=250s in a centrally located closet, connected them to an HDMI 4X4 switch and ran HDMI cables to 4 HDTVs in my house.  Everything is controlled with IR repeaters located next to the TVs.  About 5 years ago I replaced one of the HR10-250s with two HR21-700s.  All DVRs and AM21s are mounted on a wall vertically in the colset.  My HR10-250 is mounted face down because the fan is on the back.  The two HR21-700s are mounted with the right side up because the fans are located on the right side.  My home made MRV allows me to connect to any DVR from any HDTV in the house.  I truly can hit pause on a recorded show I am watching in one room, go to another room and hit play to continue viewing that show.

Now I want to replace one of my HR21-700s with an HR44.  Does anyone have a suggestion on how it should be mounted?  I believe the component that creates the most heat might be the disk drive, so should that be mounted up?

When I get the HR44, I will need to keep both HR21-700s until I have watched all the recordings.  If I stop the recordings on one of them, can I get by with a SWM-8 or will I need a SWM-16?

Since I don't want to use DirecTVs version of MRV, I don't think I need a Cinema Connection Kit.  Will D* install an HR44 without one and just connect an existing Ethernet connector to the HR44?

HR10-250   550G WD  6.4a
HR21-700   750G WD x087f AM21
HR21-700 2000G WD x087f AM21
HR44-500 2000G WD x0870
DirecTV since 1997

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,526 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:05 PM

I think with todays drives, it does not really matter how they are oriented, however you will want to keep the HR44 vents open.  since you wil have 9 tuners you will need a SWM16.  and last, you can indeed connect the HR44 via Ethernet 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 877 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:37 PM

Most likely the tech will insist on setting you up with MRV through DTV as that is what most all techs know. They are not trained on your type install. They will want to put DECA's on your HR's and a CCK for the internet connection. If you want something done outside of this I would recommend you order the equipment and do it yourself.

#4 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,584 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:18 AM

If you are mothballing one DVR just to watch recorded shows, you can simply take it off the grid so to speak. Then you'll be fine with a SWiM 8. 

I'd let the tech install as he is trained, then adjust when, if and as necessary. Some know the 44s can be your CCK.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

spam firewall