Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

No one can accuse Tesla of not being innovative

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,932 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:09 PM

Don't have time to wait the 20 minutes for a free charge at a Tesla station? How about a 90 second battery swap?

http://vimeo.com/68832891#

The battery is under the car and weighs about 1000 pounds, the system is completely automated. Elon Musk does say that the owner would need to come back on the return trip and swap the original and now charged battery back in or pay the difference in value, though they didn't say how that would work.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,601 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:18 PM

I wish I could buy one of his cars, at least to show support for doing the right thing. and that not only includes the battery, but innovation and by paying the almost $500 million loan years ahead of time!!!!!!!!!!

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,932 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:51 PM

Their plan is to continue to make models cheaper. Their first model cost $109,000 base. I think the model S starts now at $70,000. They want to have a model with a 200 mile range for around $30-$35,000 base price by 2016-2017 with some trickle down tech from the S.

#4 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

High tech and loving it.

• Super Moderators
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:21 PM

To determine the battery pack "value", I'm sure the controller that maximizes the power life also records usage metrics.

And yup, they are hard at work on the 4th generation of car that will be close to the right price points for many people with a 200 mile range.

At the same time, they are building out charging stations so it will be easy to cross the US in 200 mile increments. 

Peace,

Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#5 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

High tech and loving it.

• Super Moderators
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:34 PM

Now, having seen the video itself, I'm slightly disappointed. The two battery pack swaps equate to a 400 mile range while the one gasoline fill-up is anywhere from 460 to 690 miles in range. So the time to re-fuel both cars is about the same. Even so, the point is made--this does remove a barrier to using the electric car. :)

Peace,

Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#6 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,905 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:36 AM

We've really enjoyed our Leaf . . . just got 18 month checkup (free) with no battery degradation.   2.5 cents per mile and $0 maintenance.  Cheaper if I count electricity from our solar panels.

This car has a 85-90 mile range.  It's perfect for everything but long trips.  Driven enough, it would pay for itself in bypassing $40-60 fillups several times a month.

A 200-250 mile range in a $30-40k car would hit a sweet spot.  However, the fast charger build out here on the East coast has been slow to non-existant.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#7 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,147 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:06 AM

Full disclosure - I'm a Tesla stockholder.

I'm anxiously awaiting the Gen III car.  That's the one I might actually be able to afford.  With Superchargers (20 minutes and 150 miles of free electricity) going up all over the country, there's very little driving that I or my wife do that wouldn't be "covered".  If her family puts a 220 "dryer style" outlet outside their cottage on Cape Cod, *everything* is covered.  I get the feeling that $35K will get you the 'base' model and that the 300+ mile version with more options will run you around $50K.

#8 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:20 AM

I did quite a bit of research on electric cars before I leased my Ford Focus EV. As much as I wanted, the Tesla was too pricey, however, I think they have hit the mark on style and range and drivability. Now with the development of the internal substructure with fast chargers and replaceable batteries, Tesla will continue to grow. If other car manufacturers were smart, they would license Teslas battery system and develop EVs around that. I really like my Ford Focus, but it's clear the EV part is an afterthought in the design, a retrofit if you will.

Why can't companies find winning solutions and use them rather than continuing to pour money into R&D which often never develops anything better?

#9 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,932 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:26 AM

I know Tesla has worked with Daimler in the past, not sure if that is still happening.

#10 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,290 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:55 AM

This sort of reminds me of the early days of Mazda. They took the concept of the rotary (Wankel) engine, and built an entire line of cars around it. Unfortunately, they coudn't improve gas mileage on them, and blowing the seals at the 100,000 mile mark turned out to be an expensive proposition. So now there is not a single rotary engine car in their lineup.

One hopes Tesla can overcome the charging problem. A 200 mile range would be sufficient for most Americans if it could be counted on to be able recharged in a reasonable time within 200 miles no matter where you start.

So what is a "reasonable time"? Two hours is too long. 20 minutes is getting close, I think 5-10 minutes would be better.

Dish subscriber since 2000, HD since 2004.

#11 OFFLINE   trdrjeff

trdrjeff

Icon

• Registered
  • 754 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:48 PM

It's a shame people don't get this excited over domestic CNG, cut out the middle man and the defeatist carrier device...

HR20-100
Sharp 52" LCD 1080p
Yamaha YSP Sound Projector fed with Optical
Harmony 700

HR22-100
32" Samsung LED New School

#12 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,905 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:31 PM

CNG is great for fleets that can refill at fast stations, or trucks that could have fast refills at selected truck stops.  But it's still too slow for a refill at home from your NG line.  And the tanks eat up all the trunk space.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#13 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,147 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:27 AM

Tesla sells "drivetrains", if you can still call battery packs and motors that, to both Daimler and Toyota.  Toyota uses them for their RAV4-EV.

#14 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

High tech and loving it.

• Super Moderators
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:09 AM

Full disclosure - I'm a Tesla stockholder.

I'm anxiously awaiting the Gen III car.  That's the one I might actually be able to afford.  With Superchargers (20 minutes and 150 miles of free electricity) going up all over the country, there's very little driving that I or my wife do that wouldn't be "covered".  If her family puts a 220 "dryer style" outlet outside their cottage on Cape Cod, *everything* is covered.  I get the feeling that $35K will get you the 'base' model and that the 300+ mile version with more options will run you around $50K.

The Gen III car and everything preceding it are the typical examples of new technology being high price followed by cost efficient versions. I think Tesla has been doing an excellent job of building solutions one step at a time. And by building total solutions, not just cars (with chargers.) 

Peace,

Tom

Go Packers!

#15 OFFLINE   heathramos

heathramos

Legend

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:52 AM

my friend is test driving a Tesla next month (you have to schedule it).

I really hope he ends up buying one so I can try it out.

:)

3 HR20's
1 Channel Master 4228 antenna in attic
1 Samsung 55" LCD (connected using hdmi cable)
1 Samsung 46" LCD (connected using hdmi cable)
1 Panasonic 42" Plasma (connected using hdmi cable)
1 Popcorn Hour A-400
1 Popcorn Hour C-200

#16 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,629 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:27 PM

if I got one, I'd charge it at work :)

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#17 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

High tech and loving it.

• Super Moderators
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:10 PM

if I got one, I'd charge it at work :)

If I got one, I'd charge it at work too. Since I work at home... :)

Go Packers!

#18 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,601 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:20 AM

If I got one, I'd charge it at work too. Since I work at home... :)

ohhh, stop, bragging that is..... :rolling:

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

spam firewall