Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Upgrading Networked H21s to H25s

Best Answer inkahauts , 26 June 2013 - 07:58 PM

One more question. Do the DECA adapters provide DHCP addresses to the receiver attached to them via ethernet or do the receivers still get their IP addresses from my existing DHCP server?

Existing. They are more like a switch than a router. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   toricred

toricred

• Registered
  • 75 posts
  • LocationNorthern New Mexico

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:29 PM

I currently have 4 x H21 with an SWM LNB all connected to my network using the built-in ethernet ports so that I can control them over IP. One of the receivers is having problems and I've decided to upgrade them to H25s, but I need to keep the network connections and I can only do one receiver a month due to the cost.

My plan is to upgrade the first receiver, get a DECA device to connect my network and BSFs for the existing H21s until they are replaced. I have verified that the SWM splitter is a green label. Does this plan work and which DECA adapter should I get to connect the ethernet network to the SWM network?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,776 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:40 PM

That will work. And actually any deca will work, you should see if you can get the DIRECTV Wired Broadband Internet Connection Kit one from DIRECTV web site for free or real cheap. They offer them cheap often. Otherwise eBay. Just remember you need a power supply one to work.

#3 OFFLINE   toricred

toricred

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:48 PM

Great. I have the 4 way splitter and 4 receivers so I assume I will need to get another 2 way SWM splitter and hang it off one of the outputs of the 4 way splitter. Can they be daisy chained like that?

Edited by toricred, 21 June 2013 - 09:48 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,776 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:51 PM

Yes they can be. Just make sure you pay attention to the power passing if you have your power supply hooked up to the one you are adding a second splitter to.

#5 OFFLINE   toricred

toricred

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:49 AM

So the layout would be:

SWM LNB --- 21v Power Inserter --- 4 port SWM splitter --- 2 port SWM splitter --- Broadband DECA ---ethernert and power supply for DECA unit.

All other ports on the SWM splitters would be connected to receivers. Does it matter which port the 2 port splitter and the DECA unit connect to?

#6 OFFLINE   toricred

toricred

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:15 AM

OK I figured out that your mention of the power passing only applies if the inserter is on one of the output ports of the splitters. I'm using it before the splitters so that should be fine. Neither my power inserter nor my LNB are Green Label. Does this mean I need a BSF before the inserter?

#7 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,946 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:19 AM

So the layout would be:

SWM LNB --- 21v Power Inserter --- 4 port SWM splitter --- 2 port SWM splitter --- Broadband DECA ---ethernert and power supply for DECA unit.

All other ports on the SWM splitters would be connected to receivers. Does it matter which port the 2 port splitter and the DECA unit connect to?

No.

#8 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,946 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:25 AM

OK I figured out that your mention of the power passing only applies if the inserter is on one of the output ports of the splitters. I'm using it before the splitters so that should be fine. Neither my power inserter nor my LNB are Green Label. Does this mean I need a BSF before the inserter?

Not necessarily, but it certainly won't hurt.  I thought all SWM LNBs had the builtin filter(?)  I don't have a green label SWM and my system works fine without a filter (YMMV).

#9 OFFLINE   toricred

toricred

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:20 PM

So I've decided to set up the three H21s with DECA adapters instead of the BSFs and to upgrade my SWM LNB to a green label one since my total cable length through the entire syatem is a little less than 20 feet and I want to be sure. Is there any need to replace the power inserter with a green label version?

#10 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,776 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:11 PM

I am not sure there is such a thing as a green label swim, I know the swim 16 all are green label even if they don't have an actual green label. Can't recall on the swim lnbs. A bsf can't hurt the system in this case, so you can put one on where the cable connects to the first splitter front he dish if you'd like. No need to replace the lnb, I would not touch it if its got a good signal.

#11 OFFLINE   toricred

toricred

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:29 PM

Perfect timing with the response. I was just about to place the order including the LNB. So I shouldn't need to replace it and also shouldn't need the BSF. That's good since it takes a couple of days to get any of the parts where I live so I want to make sure I've got the right parts from the beginning.

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,576 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:30 PM

I am not sure there is such a thing as a green label swim, I know the swim 16 all are green label even if they don't have an actual green label. Can't recall on the swim lnbs. A bsf can't hurt the system in this case, so you can put one on where the cable connects to the first splitter front he dish if you'd like. No need to replace the lnb, I would not touch it if its got a good signal.

SWM LNB are in fact "green label" before DECA they were "white" label. the "green" label denotes compatibility with DECA. if your LNB is not green label, a BSF filter is required
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   toricred

toricred

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:42 PM

OK I got the BSF ordered. Parts will start coming in on Wednesday, but some may not be here until the following week. Sounds like a good project for the Fourth of July.

#14 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,776 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:58 PM

SWM LNB are in fact "green label" before DECA they were "white" label. the "green" label denotes compatibility with DECA. if your LNB is not green label, a BSF filter is required

Ok, it's only the swim16 then that came out when/after deca and therefore all work with deca without a bsf. Just Couldn't remember for sure.

#15 OFFLINE   toricred

toricred

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:24 PM

Everything arrived today except the H25 itself. That is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I may try to get all the DECA stuff installed tonight so that I only need to drop the H25 in and get it activated tomorrow. Thanks for everyone's help figuring out my parts list.

#16 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,776 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:42 PM

Great news. Let us know how it works tomorrow.

#17 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,576 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:44 PM

Ok, it's only the swim16 then that came out when/after deca and therefore all work with deca without a bsf. Just Couldn't remember for sure.

SWM16 do not need a BSF (from the LNB) because the feed a legacy LNB
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#18 OFFLINE   toricred

toricred

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:56 PM

One more question. Do the DECA adapters provide DHCP addresses to the receiver attached to them via ethernet or do the receivers still get their IP addresses from my existing DHCP server?

#19 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,776 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:58 PM   Best Answer

Existing. They are more like a switch than a router.

#20 OFFLINE   toricred

toricred

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:20 PM

Great, it just threw me off because they have a MAC address and unmanaged switches don't.

spam firewall