Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Upgrading Networked H21s to H25s

Best Answer inkahauts , 26 June 2013 - 07:58 PM

One more question. Do the DECA adapters provide DHCP addresses to the receiver attached to them via ethernet or do the receivers still get their IP addresses from my existing DHCP server?

Existing. They are more like a switch than a router. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,457 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:24 PM

So the layout would be:

SWM LNB --- 21v Power Inserter --- 4 port SWM splitter --- 2 port SWM splitter --- Broadband DECA ---ethernert and power supply for DECA unit.

All other ports on the SWM splitters would be connected to receivers. Does it matter which port the 2 port splitter and the DECA unit connect to?

Some of the installers here strongly recommend NOT putting the power Inserter before the splitter.  They actually recommend that you put it on it's own dedicated output from the splitter.  The reasoning behind this is that if for any reason, the power inserter gets disconnected and reconnected by someone who doesn't know what they are doing (spouse, kid, cleaning lady, etc...), there is a 50% chance that it will reconnected backwards which would cause you to fry all of your receivers in one fell swoop.  If you put it on it's on dedicated leg out of the splitter, that can't happen.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   toricred

toricred

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 77 posts
  • LocationNorthern New Mexico

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:16 PM

I got everything installed and it's all working perfectly. That H25 is tiny. My old access card clearly showed that the receiver was getting too hot. The end with the gold contacts had turned a burnt brown color. I have now ordered my second replacement unit. Hopefully it will be here early next week and I'll be half done. When I was actvating it the CSR seemed to think the unit was owned and not leased, but I know the site I ordered from only sells leased equipment. I was also told they had no interest in getting the H21 back just the access card.

I'll look into relocating the Power Inserter since I ended up with an extra splitter, but where it's located is nearly impossible for anyone but me to get to so I don't think it is at risk.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...