Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HELP!! Directv Installer Redid Whole System to get Genie Mini Client Working

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ajonline

ajonline

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:26 PM

I have a new house only 1 year old and I had directv installed right when I moved in.  I wanted to just add the genie mini to my downstairs basement.  He came and said the previous installer didn't install it correctly and he had to run new lines from the dish.  He then proceeded to drill new cables to the dish so he had to add a new hole to get the cables outside.  He said the only way the mini genie would work is if he ran new lines. 

Since my directv was installed last year I have had 3 different installers saying the install was done incorrectly before them.  I live in a expensive neighborhood and now I have a new hole in my james hardie siding that is up higher with the cable running down.  He was over at my house for 4 hours to just install the mini genie and now I have 4 tv's that don't even work. 

He told me everyone has to run new cables to the dish to get the genie mini client working.  Can someone shed some light on this.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,685 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:38 PM

I can't see how that's the case but then you haven't really posted what all equipment you have and how everything is hooked up. Can you give us details on your exact equipment and how stuff is wired and hooked up and if possible post some pictures? That'd make it easier to give you some help.

#3 OFFLINE   ajonline

ajonline

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:51 PM

I have the Genie, 2 HD DVRS, 2 Stand Alone HD Receivers and Samsung RVU TV.   I was wanting to add the genie mini to the system.

He basically told me I needed to have solid copper wire and then he proceeded to run new lines.  I am wondering if this is true and if he did need to run new lines. 

#4 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:48 AM

You made the same post on the DirecTV forums and here's what I posted in reply.

QUOTE:

First, if your system is not working you need to call DirecTv asap to get the installation fixed while you are still in the installation warranty. What is not working, by the way?

Second, you have more than eight tuners so you must have an SWM16 multiswitch in the house connected to the dish via four cables. The cables from the SWM16 to the dish are supposed to be solid copper core because they carry the power that powers the LNB at the dish, and also the satellite switching voltages. He is correct that this should have been done by the previous installer.  It is true that if your cable runs to the dish are not too long, CCS (copper clad steel core) will work OK but DirecTV wants to make sure there is no problem hence the "rule" to use solid copper.

None of this has anything to do with adding the Genie mini-client to the system. That could have been done without changing out the cables, but as I said, solid copper in the run to the dish is required by the DirecTv install rules. UNQUOTE

#5 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,892 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:10 AM

There needs to be a cable installed from one of the SWiM splitter(s) usually near the SWiM-16's location to the basement where you wish the Mini Genie placed. But as texasbrit says above no re-cabling of coax runs to the dish are related to making a Mini Genie or any other RVU client work properly. 

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#6 OFFLINE   satinstallerguy

satinstallerguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts
  • LocationCleveland

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:34 PM

Directv wants SCC but you don't need it........  It works fine with CCS.    He was just following rules because if he gets a QAS guy out he could get backcharged for using unapproved parts....   Kinda dumb but that's how it works.........     

Take some pics and upload 'em so we can see what ya got going on.

SIG

spam firewall