Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Can't add HD Extra Pack

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 969 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:38 AM

Tried adding the HD Extra Pack and could not...

Got this message:Directv HDExtra.png

Has anyone else had this happen? I have an HR21 and an HR44(both are shown on the DTV website) and have had HD programming since 2007.

I have had this package several times before and deleted/added without problems.

HR44-500 HDMI to 42"Toshiba
HR21-100 HDMI to 32" LG and 20" AOC

Directv since 1996(the USSB,Pegasus days...)
...sometimes, there is no answer...
http://woodlandweather.org/

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,906 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:40 AM

Tried adding the HD Extra Pack and could not...

Got this message:attachicon.gifDirectv HDExtra.png

Has anyone else had this happen? I have an HR21 and an HR44(both are shown on the DTV website) and have had HD programming since 2007.

I have had this package several times before and deleted/added without problems.

I'd say the issue lies with DirecTV's website. They seem to be having difficulties with posting correct information. This week I noticed the information in Recent Activity on my account was wrong. Last month I took advantage of the Protection Plan's free equipment upgrade offer which comes with a two year commitment. I did this on May 16 which means my new two year commitment will expire on 16 May 15. However, on my account there is a notification telling me I will be eligible for a free equipment upgrade on 16 December 14. Give DirecTV a call and report your issue.    

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#3 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 969 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:37 PM

Called in, CSR could not understand why website would not let me do it. He added it himself.

Also, did not see this old post about the same issue...(sorry):http://www.dbstalk.c...hd-receiverhuh/

HR44-500 HDMI to 42"Toshiba
HR21-100 HDMI to 32" LG and 20" AOC

Directv since 1996(the USSB,Pegasus days...)
...sometimes, there is no answer...
http://woodlandweather.org/

#4 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:26 PM

Problem still exists.  Just tried to add HD Extra Pack and it is telling me I need to add an HD receiver.  I already have two.

Kevin

My top 5 wishlist: 1) Free MRV HR to HR 2) Fix Channels I Receive so that it is accurate 3) > 50 SeriesLink 4) Usage of both internal and external drives concurrently 5) Support for other video providers as DoD (i.e. Hulu, CBS)   

DirecTV HR21-200, 2008 (DirecTV anniversary gift)
DirecTV HR20-100 (2TB eSATA), 2007
DirecTV since 1995

<><

#5 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:48 PM

Called in and added it via CSR.  When I checked my account on-line after the call was over, the HD Extra Pack was added - for $4.99/month.  I tried to cancel on-line and the msg comes up:

"You cannot remove this product online within 30 days of activation.  Please call 1-800-DIRECTV if you would like to remove it for a fee.  After 30 days you can remove it online without a fee."

I guess that is to prevent people from adding/dropping things like HBO in order to watch just the ep of their favorite series.

I posted to the @DirecTVservice Twitter feed about the problem re: adding on the web.  I'll see if I get a response.

Kevin

My top 5 wishlist: 1) Free MRV HR to HR 2) Fix Channels I Receive so that it is accurate 3) > 50 SeriesLink 4) Usage of both internal and external drives concurrently 5) Support for other video providers as DoD (i.e. Hulu, CBS)   

DirecTV since 1995

<><

#6 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:03 PM

if you have already had it for free, it costs $4.99 after that.  if you don't want to pay for it after you have had it for free, quit trying to add it.

• peds48 likes this

#7 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:07 PM

Interesting - their policy must have changed.  Used to be that you could add/delete/add.  You must have 1st hand knowledge?  I appreciate the info.

Nice Tull logo.

Kevin

DirecTV since 1995

<><

#8 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:32 PM

Had absolutely nothing to do with policy.  There was a bug on their website where people were able to keep adding it for free, someone found out about it and let everyone know so everyone could scam it for free every 3 months.  Now it appears to have been remedied, others come here complaining they cant add it for free anymore.

#9 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:36 PM

Thanks.  Interesting remedy.  Requiring someone who has HD DVRs/receivers already to buy another one.  They might wish to consider a slightly more straightforward message: "We see that you've recently taken advantage of our 90 day free HD Extra Pack offer.  If you wish to again receive this premium package it is only $4.99 per month."  vs.  "You need HD to order this package so buy another receiver even if you have one or more already."  They'd likely get a greater uptake on the package.

Kevin

DirecTV since 1995

<><

#10 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 592 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:41 AM

Had absolutely nothing to do with policy.  There was a bug on their website where people were able to keep adding it for free, someone found out about it and let everyone know so everyone could scam it for free every 3 months.  Now it appears to have been remedied, others come here complaining they cant add it for free anymore.

I don't think they fixed that bug, they just added another one. The website showed I could add it for free but I got the same error. When I called they added it for free for 3 months. If they had fixed the bug wouldn't it make more sense to have the site not offer it for free rather than tell you that another receiver was needed?

#11 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,906 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:44 AM

I don't think they fixed that bug, they just added another one. The website showed I could add it for free but I got the same error. When I called they added it for free for 3 months. If they had fixed the bug wouldn't it make more sense to have the site not offer it for free rather than tell you that another receiver was needed?

Sometimes DirecTV works in mysterious ways.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#12 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:23 AM

Tubaman, do you really want to subscribe to the HD extra pack, or only if you can get it for free?

#13 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:10 AM

Much as with the discussion on this site by others to avoid costs (upgrades, extending the 2 year free HD, "freebies via CSR roulette", etc), I am interested in doing so.  If D* has corrected the loophole that allows for HD Extra Pack to be added/deleted/added, then I am fine with that, won't pursue it, and won't lose sleep over not having the HD Extra Pack.  With the recent replacement of a D* DVR by a Roku 3 much of what my household watched via HD Extra Pack is available for streaming.

Regardless, there seems to be a bug someplace in the DirecTV system.  I believe that I've received the help in this thread that can be offered via firsthand experience and it was appreciated.  If/as I learn more about this subject I will update the thread.

Thanks.

Kevin

DirecTV since 1995

<><

#14 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,085 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:32 AM

Looks like the bug of not being to add the HD Extra package via the web site has been fixed, it no longer says I need to order a HD receiver to add it.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#15 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 721 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:08 PM

Had absolutely nothing to do with policy. There was a bug on their website where people were able to keep adding it for free, someone found out about it and let everyone know so everyone could scam it for free every 3 months. Now it appears to have been remedied, others come here complaining they cant add it for free anymore.

Must be a new bug in their bug fix, Rad is right- now DirecTV is allowing people to scam it again for another 3 months, and you do not have to add another HD receiver. I clicked on it just to see if it would work, not because I really wanted it, and it worked!

Tomorrow morning when I wake up, I think I will voluntarily send them a check in the mail for $5.99 because now I feel sad and depressed.
  • chevyguy559 likes this

11 DirecTV HD-DVR's including a Genie and GenieGO

#16 OFFLINE   chevyguy559

chevyguy559

Fresno State Bulldog!

• Registered
  • 713 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:34 AM

Tomorrow morning when I wake up, I think I will voluntarily send them a check in the mail for $5.99 because now I feel sad and depressed.

:rotfl:  :rotfl:

DirecTV Subscriber Since 11/2008
Choice Ultimate - HD Extra - RZC
(2) HR22-100
(1) HR22-100 (Owned)
(1) HR21-100 (Owned)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...