Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

GenieGo and VOD

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rob-NovA

Rob-NovA

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 597 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:51 AM

Did a bit of a search here and didn't find an answer either here or on the DTV site.  I just got a GeniGo installed on the home network.  Pretty nice bit of kit.  But what I'm not able to find is any explanation of why VOD is restricted.  I get PPV and to a certain extent OTA (I would guess file format/transcoding isues), but VOD doesn't make as much sense.  Is it as simple as a transcoding problem?

I'd love to be able to catch up on some old episodes of shows via VOD (Game of Thrones, yes I am late to the party on this one!) and download them to my iPad for viewing when I travel.

Rob

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,895 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:51 AM

I'm not sure if it's a technical reason or contracts.  GoT is available on HBOGo but of course, that requires internet connectivity.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,236 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:02 PM

Are you traveling overseas? if not, you can use the HBOGo app to catch up on those episodes
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,167 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:30 AM

I believe its because they want you to stream Video On Demand stuff directly from the iPad apps,which are there for manny of the premiums, and many others as well, like all the turner networks. If I had to guess I'd say the whole expiration date thing may have something to do with it as well for some Video On Demand, but who knows for sure. Not sure if the system is currently built to know the difference between Video On Demand and ppv Video On Demand for example.

#5 OFFLINE   Rob-NovA

Rob-NovA

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 597 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:14 AM

I believe its because they want you to stream Video On Demand stuff directly from the iPad apps,which are there for manny of the premiums, and many others as well, like all the turner networks. If I had to guess I'd say the whole expiration date thing may have something to do with it as well for some Video On Demand, but who knows for sure. Not sure if the system is currently built to know the difference between Video On Demand and ppv Video On Demand for example.

Thanks, inkahauts.  I do use the HBOGO app, but it does require streaming.  Sometimes that's not an issue, but all hotel internet access is not the same, and it's not a solution for airplanes.  Yet.

I was more curious as to the reason why it's restricted. Since it's the same content that had already come in via satellite (and in many cases can be had via sat or VOD simultaneously), legal or contract issues don't make a lot of sense, which is why I supposed it was a file format or transcoding issue. 

Thanks anyways.  All of this is still bleeding edge, IMHO and eventually they will figure this out.

Rob

#6 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:49 PM

My guess is that it is a legal/contract issue.  DirecTV usually tends to air on the side of caution when it comes to stuff like this.  If their contract with the channels doesn't specifically say they can allow VOD recordings to be transcoded to another file for use outside the home they won't allow it.  This is because they don't want to take a chance of ticking off a channel provider and getting slapped with a lawsuit. 

Dish on the other hand it seems tends to be more likely to just assume that it's ok if the contract doesn't say they can't do it, and worries about it later when it goes to court ha ha ha.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

Protected By... spam firewall...And...