Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hr44

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dobok

dobok

Mentor

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:40 AM

I have been reading alot of the comments on ordering an hr 44 and D sending out an hr34. I don't know if this has been reported before and I am repeating it but instead of ordering thro Solid Signal at $349. why not go thro Weaknees for $299.---a savings of $50. I think I will be doing that soon. Also any movement on D letting us have 2 Genies instead of one. Maybe after the big demand they will reconsider.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,907 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:57 AM

still a mystery if or when DirecTV will let us activate 2 Genies on one account
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 858 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:44 AM

I ordered my HR44 from WeaKnees for $299.  And I had to deactivate the HR34 that I already had.  This was about 2 weeks ago

#4 OFFLINE   dobok

dobok

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:06 PM

Just to add to this topic a little bit--What is D going to do with all the hr 34's that people are sending back(refusing)that they don't want because its too slow and a PIA receiver !!!!!

#5 OFFLINE   jagrim

jagrim

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:00 PM

Just to add to this topic a little bit--What is D going to do with all the hr 34's that people are sending back(refusing)that they don't want because its too slow and a PIA receiver !!!!!

Sorry you have had such a terrible experience with your HR34. I have had mine from the day they were available and I have never had an issue with it. I can only remember missing 1 or 2 recordings and my 24-500 also missed those also (I suspect a guide data issue).

I have a 2 TB external and it stays between 40-50% full. The speed is as fast as any of the HR24-500's that I have.

The HR34-700 is a great DVR.

#6 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,843 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:16 PM

Peep, will take the HR34. They are great machines, and most people don't know diddly squat about the hr44.

As for two genies, there are things that need to be worked out technically before they can even consider it, and that may be a while. I am hopeful someday it will happen without restriction.

#7 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,779 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:30 PM

I've had my HR34-700 for over a month now. It makes the HR24-500 it replaced look like a antique. As I posted elsewhere the only added features the HR44 has are an external power supply, internal Wi-Fi, RF compatibility with the RC71 remote, optical audio out, and a slightly faster processor. So unless those added features are a must no one will be unhappy with a HR34.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#8 OFFLINE   steelgtr

steelgtr

Mentor

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:30 PM

I've had my HR34-700 for over a month now. It makes the HR24-500 it replaced look like a antique. As I posted elsewhere the only added features the HR44 has are an external power supply, internal Wi-Fi, RF compatibility with the RC71 remote, optical audio out, and a slightly faster processor. So unless those added features are a must no one will be unhappy with a HR34.

Where is that post?  I'd like to know why the 44 is so much better and a list of differences? If the 34 has no optical out, what does it have?  Coax?

thx

bob

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,907 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:48 PM

Where is that post? I'd like to know why the 44 is so much better and a list of differences? If the 34 has no optical out, what does it have? Coax?

thx

bob

Yes, coax only (for surround sound)
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,779 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:51 PM

Where is that post?  I'd like to know why the 44 is so much better and a list of differences? If the 34 has no optical out, what does it have?  Coax?

thx

bob

HDMI......Component Video Out......Video Out......Audio Out......Digital Audio Out......S-Video Out.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#11 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• Registered
  • 12,950 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:12 PM

I cannot imagine that DirecTV will not make having several Genies possible. More a question of when, and I'd bet on it before 2Q 2014. Is that better than "soon"?

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#12 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:08 AM

According to the 'First Look' the HR44 is the best thing since the invention of the light bulb.  I've only seen two HR34s and both had performance issues - especially with the C31 clients.  I'd say it is well worth making sure you get the HR44 but no need to listen to me....  Just read what the 'people in the know' have to say about it here:  http://www.hr20.dbst... First Look.pdf.  

With comments like the ones below, others in the first look and reports from people that actually have the HR44 I don't see why anyone would take an HR34 when the HR44 is available.

The HR44-700 is a truly amazing machine. Think: “HR34-700 on steroids”. In other words, it shrunk and got WAY MORE POWERFUL at the same time. The basic specs are the same, but just about everything about this box is an improvement as compared to the HR34 - it’s smaller, lighter, and much, much faster. For those who remember how much faster the HR24 was compared to the HR20 - 23 models which came before, the level of performance improvement here is even greater. In fact, the HR44-700 is the fastest HD receiver I’ve ever seen from DIRECTV, and that includes the H25, a non-DVR model.

-DBSTalk.com user LameLefty

Taking into account all its technical specs and responsiveness, the advancements DIRECTV has made since the advent of the HR20-700 have finally culminated in the new HR44 Genie that is by far superior to every other DVR that DIRECTV has ever released, bar none. It is finally time to start retiring all other DIRECTV DVRs, for they all now seem like nothing more than proof of concept where the HR44 is the real deal.

-DBSTalk.com user inkahauts

#13 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• Registered
  • 12,950 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:38 AM

Lotta people like the Mercedes C 250, the HR 34 of autos. Others say that won't do, want a heavier faster car, and pay up for the E350, the HR 44 of autos. Both fine. Diff. strokes. Timing. Diff. usage patterns. 

#14 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,942 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:05 AM

I think that's a very wrong characterization.  My HR34, while not as fast as the HR44, is on par with my HR24.  It is by no means slow.  

It seems that if it's not as fast as the HR44 it must be un-usebly slow and that's just wrong.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#15 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:26 PM

Lotta people like the Mercedes C 250, the HR 34 of autos. Others say that won't do, want a heavier faster car, and pay up for the E350, the HR 44 of autos. Both fine. Diff. strokes. Timing. Diff. usage patterns. 

Huh?  Reality is more like comparing a Honda Civic (HR34) with a Mercedes E350 except that they both come with the same cost and the same 2 year commitment.

There's nothing wrong with a Honda Civic but who (that possess all of their marbles) would take the Civic when the Benz costs the same?  

#16 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,942 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:32 PM

Huh?  Reality is more like comparing a Honda Civic (HR34) with a Mercedes E350 except that they both come with the same cost and the same 2 year commitment.

There's nothing wrong with a Honda Civic but who (that possess all of their marbles) would take the Civic when the Benz costs the same?  

Except there isn't that big of a difference between the HR34 & the HR44.  I'm not sure why so many people think so.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#17 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,907 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:36 PM

Except there isn't that big of a difference between the HR34 & the HR44. I'm not sure why so many people think so.

Mike

Spot on! Could not agree more.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#18 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• Registered
  • 12,950 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:47 PM

Don't like to be a be a me-too-er, but, me, too! 

My analogy is far better than Mr. Greer's, and those who might choose the slightly lesser vehicle/DVR will do so as it's available earlier or they're already installed. 

As Mike B notes, it's just not a huge difference [for 97.84% of all users.] 

#19 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:59 PM

Geez - I haven't even seen an HR44.  I'm going by the glowing reviews of the First Look.  Either the 1st look guys exaggerated the difference or some of you are trying back things down.  I don't know the motivation for either but both cannot be true.

Color me confused, as usual...

If I were to go for a Genie it would be for an HR44 because the HR34s I saw had some performance issues.  Not like my HR22s mind you but still there.  Add the speed increase (a little or a lot depending on if you go with the 1st look or you guys) to the simultaneous IR/RF remote and that's what I'd go for.

Why wouldn't I or anyone else for that matter 'want' an HR34 when the HR44 costs the same and comes with the same commitment?  What am I missing here?

#20 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• Registered
  • 12,950 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:20 PM

You are missing two things: One is some areas are still doling out the 34s and it's quite an upgrade to get one. Rather get a C250 now than wait several months for the E350..... Another is there are tens of thousands of folks very happy with their 34's right now. Capiche?  :biggrin:  [And, peace, man.....]

Protected By... spam firewall...And...