Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hr44

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,559 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:32 PM

Geez - I haven't even seen an HR44. I'm going by the glowing reviews of the First Look.

So you don't have an HR44, but yet you base you experience on a bias review. would you expect that review to have negative comments???
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:42 PM

You are missing two things: One is some areas are still doling out the 34s and it's quite an upgrade to get one. Rather get a C250 now than wait several months for the E350..... Another is there are tens of thousands of folks very happy with their 34's right now. Capiche?  :biggrin:  [And, peace, man.....]

Of course...

#23 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:52 PM

So you don't have an HR44, but yet you base you experience on a bias review. would you expect that review to have negative comments???

Nope - I don't have an HR44 nor have I ever seen one.  Bias review?  Maybe that's the trouble.  Glad you said it and not me!  I get enough hate mail - maybe some of it can be re-targeted to you! :rotfl:

I wouldn't expect the first look be negative but the comments on the HR44 must be way over-the-top.  Especially because some of the 'First-lookers' are the first to point out their receivers 'aren't slow'.  If they don't think the previous receivers are slow why do they think the HR44 is so fast?  I never did figure that out with the HR24 reviews/comments.

I suppose time will tell...  Once I see an HR44 in action maybe I'll be able to figure out which 'comments' are reality and which are meant to benefit DirecTV in some way.

For those of you in the market for a Genie good luck!

#24 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,641 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:01 PM

The 44 can be super fast and the 34 fast enough. I don't recall any reviewer saying the 34 was slow. Just that the 44 was amazingly fast.

The question is...does it matter enough? Do you need to scroll through a guide super fast? Or just fast? What is the threshold.

My take (not having either) is that the 44 is extremely fast and the 34 is fast enough. For now.

It doesn't mean that they don't put more stuff in because the 44 is super fast. That may affect the 34 down the road. But not yet.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#25 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:32 PM

Except there isn't that big of a difference between the HR34 & the HR44.  I'm not sure why so many people think so.

Mike

Simple - bragging rights - I got the latest and greatest toy - until the next one releases. the 34 works fine here and I am not really interested in a 44, detest power bricks

#26 OFFLINE   jagrim

jagrim

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:08 PM

I heard that a HR74 was coming “soon” and it was so fast that the channels changed and the guide populated before you could punch the remote button. 🙀

#27 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,717 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:21 PM

Yes, and that's because beyond voice control is mind control. You don't even need the remote. Just think it, and it changes for you. In addition, it'd feature Holo-vision, Smell-o-vision, Vibe-o-vision, and visions we can even now envision..... :yesman: 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#28 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:36 PM

I'm sure some here are already using the HR-54.  It makes the HR44 seem like 80's technology.  There are also a couple using HR54 - it is the size of a credit card.  At least one guy here is using the HR64 - it doesn't even need a dish!  I think you're just pulling my leg about the HR74 right?

But seriously - are you saying that we shouldn't pay to much attention to the 'First look' write-ups?  At least we should ignore anything that is subjective because we don't get the truth?  If you read the HR44 First Look and then this thread it does seem like BS....

I hope you're wrong.  I had high hopes for the HR44 but if it is really only marginally faster than HR34 I won't bother with it.

#29 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,057 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:28 PM

Having used both an HR34 and an HR44 side by side, I will tell you that the HR44 is faster than the HR34, and physically much smaller. But I will also tell you there is absolutely nothing wrong with the HR34, it is certainly a big step up from an HR2x of any vintage.

Having had the opportunity in the past to contribute to first look documents, I will tell you that there is certainly excitement in the opportunity to promote what is, at the time, "the latest and greatest", and first looks certainly do tend to be positive.  That is not meant to say they are inaccurate, just positive.

#30 OFFLINE   agentpaul

agentpaul

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:29 AM

When I signed up for Genie (free through D's Retention) back in early May, I was sent HR34.  However, when the installer came to set up it up, I asked him if he had HR44s in his truck and he said yes.  So now I have that.  It's way better than HR34 even though I never got to try it.  Much smaller than a HR34.  Uses less power.  Faster processor.  Built in wifi so you don't need a bridge which D* neglected to send one to me.  Basically, the installer says it's superior to HR34 in every way.  He was actually happy I asked about it before he was going to recommend it to me.  I feel bad that some of you actually have to pay hundreds just to have it.

Edited by agentpaul, 24 June 2013 - 03:31 AM.

#31 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,132 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:17 AM

Ad like everything else, there are other forum member that hope they never get one. Minority maybe, but not everyone agrees that it's better in every way. I wouldn't mind having it though.

#32 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 584 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:24 AM

And according to D, the 44 is not an upgrade to the 34. They are both the "same".

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#33 OFFLINE   Starrbuck

Starrbuck

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts
  • LocationDFW, TX

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:30 AM

According to the 'First Look' the HR44 is the best thing since the invention of the light bulb.  I've only seen two HR34s and both had performance issues - especially with the C31 clients.  I'd say it is well worth making sure you get the HR44 but no need to listen to me....  Just read what the 'people in the know' have to say about it here:  http://www.hr20.dbst... First Look.pdf.  

With comments like the ones below, others in the first look and reports from people that actually have the HR44 I don't see why anyone would take an HR34 when the HR44 is available.

The HR44-700 is a truly amazing machine. Think: “HR34-700 on steroids”. In other words, it shrunk and got WAY MORE POWERFUL at the same time. The basic specs are the same, but just about everything about this box is an improvement as compared to the HR34 - it’s smaller, lighter, and much, much faster. For those who remember how much faster the HR24 was compared to the HR20 - 23 models which came before, the level of performance improvement here is even greater. In fact, the HR44-700 is the fastest HD receiver I’ve ever seen from DIRECTV, and that includes the H25, a non-DVR model.

-DBSTalk.com user LameLefty

Why would anyone care if it's smaller and lighter?  It sits on a freakin' shelf!  And my 6+ year old HR20 (before it died) was faster than my HR24.

Edited by Starrbuck, 24 June 2013 - 07:31 AM.

*** DirecTV customer since 2004 ***

HR44-700 (2TB) + AM-21 -> Panasonic TC-PST60 Series 60" Plasma

HR24-500 (2TB) -> Samsung 6000 Series 55" LED

C41-700 & C41-500

#34 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,486 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:23 AM

I am not really interested in a 44, detest power bricks

Typically, I would agree with you.  However, with regard to DVR's, I think that a power brick is a really great idea.  It reduces the internal temperature of the DVR, which can help reduce the likelihood of a hard drive failure and, if the power supply fails, you can just replace it with a new external power supply rather than replace the entire Genie, which causes you to lose any programming that's already on it.

I currently own two HR-21's and one HR-20.  So anything will be faster than what I own.  If it weren't for the external power supply in the HR-44, I would already own an HR-34.  But, as it stands right now, I'm waiting for the 44 to become available in my area (unless, for some reason, I start having recording conflicts despite already having 6 tuners to record with)

#35 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:53 AM

Having used both an HR34 and an HR44 side by side, I will tell you that the HR44 is faster than the HR34, and physically much smaller. But I will also tell you there is absolutely nothing wrong with the HR34, it is certainly a big step up from an HR2x of any vintage.

Having had the opportunity in the past to contribute to first look documents, I will tell you that there is certainly excitement in the opportunity to promote what is, at the time, "the latest and greatest", and first looks certainly do tend to be positive.  That is not meant to say they are inaccurate, just positive.

I understand what you are saying but in this case either the first look is over-exaggerating the step up or something else is going on....  I personally hope it is 'something else going on' as I want the HR44 to be 'that' much faster than the HR34.  I've seen 2 HR34s and have 3 HR24s.  The HR34s I saw are faster than my old HR22s but not as fast as my HR24s.  I'd like the speed stated in the HR44 First Look to be real and not an overzealous review of some 'excited' insiders..  Fingers crossed!  

#36 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:57 AM

Ad like everything else, there are other forum member that hope they never get one. Minority maybe, but not everyone agrees that it's better in every way. I wouldn't mind having it though.

Because of the power brick?  That's the only thing that I can think of...  I understand it adds to the clutter but the benefits of the external power supply would seem to out-weigh the downside.  The up-sides to the HR44 are obvious and I find it hard to believe anyone would want an HR34 over and HR44...  Maybe there is that one guy out there somewhere?

#37 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,441 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:53 PM

One thing the hr44 never does is not respond to the remote. I know once in a blue moon the HR2x may pause or what have you but the hr44 just always responds. Period. That may be the big thing for people who have trouble with the remotes from any other machine.

Also speed is more noticeable the more things you do quickly.

I think under full load with three genie clients and multiple recordings going on is also where you notice the hr44 being faster than an HR34.

And the external power supply is great,if it goes bad they can swap it instead of the entire machine and you get to keep your recordings. Anyone who doesn't like that is missing that point I think.

The only thing anyone really hates is the new remote for some people it juts doesn't cut it. For others its fine. It could use a few enhancements in my opinion, but its ok for me.

With that said, like I said earlier, the HR34 is still a great machine and is better than any of the two tuner DVRs.

#38 OFFLINE   ronkuba

ronkuba

Legend

• Registered
  • 141 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:14 PM

still a mystery if or when DirecTV will let us activate 2 Genies on one account

I have two hr34 on one account for about a year and a half now. The work fine together.
(2)HR34-700:D
Swim16 All networked via DECA
Samsung PN64D8000
Samsung 40" LCD TV
Directv since 1995

#39 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,441 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:39 PM

I have two hr34 on one account for about a year and a half now. The work fine together.

Not with genies clients they don't. And there's a billing issue if you had clients as well. Trust me, i know first hand. ;) There is a reason it's not yet allowed beyond just because.

And if They allow two on one account it has to be for any situation not just under certain situations. That'd be an installer nightmare.

I think there is another whole reason as well that wiill get fixed in the next six months or so as well.

#40 OFFLINE   phlevin

phlevin

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:22 PM

As for two genies, there are things that need to be worked out technically before they can even consider it, and that may be a while. I am hopeful someday it will happen without restriction.

I've seen this comment about technical issues with having two Genies on one account. Could you please elaborate - of course I understand the number of tuners (10), availability of hardware. Is there some issue with clients when two Genies are on the network?  Other issue(s) or concern??

Protected By... spam firewall...And...