Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

can i get directv without contract

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   albertldee

albertldee

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts
  • Locationfl

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:54 AM

ok cool kaminar you answer all my question i guest i have to just take off one day from work and also order the additional receiver before they do the installation so i dont have to pay another installation fee

thanks everyone this was very helpfull

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:43 PM

YOu need to understand the difference between them giving you I believe up to 4 rooms(STB's) on your new customer install for free, thats the upfront cost they are eating to get you as a new customer and why they require a 2-year agreement.  But each additional dvr or receiver you have beyond the 1st costs $6/month.  So for someone with 3 STB's you pay an additional $12/month on top of what your programming package costs.  If you want HD service, thats $10, if you want DVR, thats another $10, if you want whole-home that another $3...or you pay the advanced receiver fee that bundles all those together.  There has always and at least  in the newar future will always be a fee associated with each box beyond the 1st.

If you are a NEW customer and you want an HD DVR you will pay $25 a month for it.  It's cleverly called the "advanced receiver fee".  Hidden in it is $10 for HD, $10 DVR fee, and $5 "whole home" fee.  In addition, most of the advertised offers require you to take TWO boxes (so they can justify gouging you the $5 "whole home" fee) in order to get the programming discount.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#23 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,285 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:10 PM

If you are a NEW customer and you want an HD DVR you will pay $25 a month for it. It's cleverly called the "advanced receiver fee". Hidden in it is $10 for HD, $10 DVR fee, and $5 "whole home" fee. In addition, most of the advertised offers require you to take TWO boxes (so they can justify gouging you the $5 "whole home" fee) in order to get the programming discount.

Incorrect. It's $3 whole home and $2 round up to a nice number fee :)

#24 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:08 PM

Incorrect. It's $3 whole home and $2 round up to a nice number fee :)

Yea $20 was a nice round number. That's where it should have remained!

Former Directv Subscriber May 5th-2012 - November 7th 2014 

Blue Ridge Communticatons

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus anolog Bedrrom 5 and 6

#25 OFFLINE   paul.famular

paul.famular

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationSF CA

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:24 PM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the insight, especially those with working understanding of DTV's P&L.

My question is why DTV won't let you subscribe to receive their service via the internet only?

For example, I want to watch the NFL (13/14 season).  I'd pay an immediate lump sum (no payments) to receive only the NFL ticket for that period of time.

However, if I subscribe to their 2 year deal, get the dish & DVR, put them in a closet, I can get DTV on my laptop, desktop, android, etc.

Don't they offer an off-the-menu option that spares us both having to deal with a dish, and just allows me to get their programming over the internet?

Please only respond if you understand DTV's cost structure, and why they don't make this option available.

Thanks!

#26 OFFLINE   kaminar

kaminar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 205 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:04 AM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the insight, especially those with working understanding of DTV's P&L.

My question is why DTV won't let you subscribe to receive their service via the internet only?

For example, I want to watch the NFL (13/14 season).  I'd pay an immediate lump sum (no payments) to receive only the NFL ticket for that period of time.

However, if I subscribe to their 2 year deal, get the dish & DVR, put them in a closet, I can get DTV on my laptop, desktop, android, etc.

Don't they offer an off-the-menu option that spares us both having to deal with a dish, and just allows me to get their programming over the internet?

Please only respond if you understand DTV's cost structure, and why they don't make this option available.

Thanks!

The NFL Sunday Ticket is available as an online only option..typically for customers who cannot get DirecTV (NLOS, NLLP or for whatever reason)..for more info, click the link below:

http://directv.com/sundayticketspecial

There is currently no option for "online-only" service. Perhaps it's a future option, since many people have "high-enough-speed" internet connections. IMHO, we're nearing the peak and a big wave of subscribers will soon be disappearing across the industry--unless something is done to reinvent the business model and a lower ARPU is acceptable. Anyway, multiple HD streams require VERY high speed and reliable bandwidth. I don't doubt that idea was thought up long ago. Bundling with national (and now regional) providers helps, but it's a band-aid. Perhaps if D buys E and their spectrum, some kind of deal with a mobile telco (Sprint/Softbank/T-Mobile/MetroPCS?)can be reached. Who knows? Currently, few people understand what their bandwidth is, much less what bandwidth means..it's just "online" or "internet"..much like people with cars. Few understand them beyond Go pedal, Stop pedal, gas hole and radio.. Imagine all the retraining that will require, just for sales and customer service. Discussing D*'s cost structure, P&L, quarterly and annual reports has nothing to do with it. I'm not the CEO, so if you can't fathom why they don't offer online-only subscriptions, he's the one to speak with.

-=K=-

#27 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,920 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:35 PM

"Few understand them beyond Go pedal, Stop pedal, gas hole and radio."

I must be advanced, then, as I know one's a throttle advancer (or gas pedal, to be simpler), one's a brake, one's the filler tube, and the last one is a multimedia center..... :)

And you're right about bandwidth.... that's the real bottleneck in many parts of the US. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...