Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Have new HD Receiver & Want to Connect-Help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Av8r

Av8r

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:17 AM

I've had one HDDVR for quite awhile and am very happy with it, but I just received new non DVR receiver from Directv for my Daughter's playroom which is directly behind my TV room, but not sure how to connect the coaxials.

I'm a little confused as to why there are two going into my set top box.  I assume I have to splice in somehow and create a splitter for the new receiver.  Any advice on how to do it and what parts would be needed would be appreciated.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,256 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:36 AM

If you have two lines going into the back of your box now, then you can't split and use a splitter. You need to drop a line from the lnb at the dish to the room directly, or change your dish (lnb, or all of it depending on which type you have now) out so you can use a splitter. This would also mean only one coax to each receiver then.

I am surprised DIRECTV didn't offer to come out and install this for you. You might want to call back and see if they will for free.

#3 OFFLINE   Av8r

Av8r

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:39 PM

I purchased it online and there was an option to have them connect it for me, but there was a fee, and I felt i could do it myself.  Maybe not.  Why can't I drop two lines from my LNB?  From what I understand the two coaxials are for in and out.  I'd want both on the new receiver.

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,343 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:45 PM

It appears that you have a "legacy" system, on this type of system, DVRs uses two cables from the LNB to feed each of the two tuners on a DVR. a receiver, regardless it is SD or HD, has a single tuner and as such uses one cable from the LNB. if you feel capable of running the cable from the LNB to the receiver, then go for it, just be careful not to fall or mess with your dish alignment when taking the LNB out
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   Av8r

Av8r

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:08 PM

Thanks.  I'm going to get some help;)  I gather the new "SWM" acronym I keep hearing about is to allow only one cable into the house and afterwards have a splitter to multiple receivers.  As you can tell I know almost nothing about this because my Directv has been flawless since it was installed.

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,343 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:56 PM

Thanks. I'm going to get some help;) I gather the new "SWM" acronym I keep hearing about is to allow only one cable into the house and afterwards have a splitter to multiple receivers. As you can tell I know almost nothing about this because my Directv has been flawless since it was installed.

Yes, not only one cable to the house (<8 tuners) but all receivers uses a single cable and you can use splitters
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...