Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Opening a .dat attachment

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,749 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:38 AM

I recently was sent an e-mail by a doctor detailing likely surgical expenses (elective, I'm not dying yet), but my computer says:

Windows can't open the attached file, which I have downloaded.  it instead gave me the choices of  using the internet to find a program to open it, or I cpould select one manually.I chose the first choice, and it took me to this page:

Windows can't open this file

File: XXXXX XXXXX .dat

To open this file, Windows needs to know what program you want to use to open it. Windows can go on line to look it up automatically, or you can manually select from a list of programs that are installed on your computer.

- Use the Web service to find the correct program

- Select a program from a list of installed programs

I chose the first choice, and it took me to this page:

http://shell.windows....ir.asp?EXT=dat

(Windows logo) Windows

File Association

Windows has the following information about this file type. This page will help you find software needed to open your file.

File Type: Data File

File Extension: .dat

Description: A wide range of applications create files with this file extension but with different file formats. The application(s) listed below may not work on your file.

Software or information available at:
WordPerfect Office
Free File Viewer

You may search the following Web site for related software and information:

Search the web

Have questions? See these Frequently Asked Questions.

Clicking the Free File Viewer option took me to a site called freefileviewer.com

At the top of the page was the name: FreeFile Viewer, and to its right it shoed a Norton "Secured" label was checked, then

Easily Open Your Files, then a list of half a dozen recognizable file types it would open, and below that claimed
License: Free! No Hidden Costs

THE FREE FILE VIEWER THAT JUST WORKS
Download and install FreeFileViewer 2012 and you will be able to view documents like DOC, DOCX, PDF, TXT, XLS, XLSX, images like JPG, PNG, GIF, PSD, videos like FLV, MP4, MOV, MPG, audio files like FLAC, MP3, OGG, WMA, and various other formats like BIN, CFG, DAT, DIZ and and many many other file formats.

FreeFileViewer is a non-bloated, simple file viewer and music player. For example, it will enable you to display Adobe® PDF files and Microsoft® Office documents without Adobe® Reader® or Microsoft® Office being installed, and PSD files without having Adobe® Photoshop® installed. This is the all-in-one file viewer product you have been looking for!

Everything is included with the installer. Simply download and run it and you will be able to view your files right away. No other software required.

Oh.. and it's true: It's entirely free. No hidden costs.

Supports a Multitude of File Formats:

DAT - Data file, e.g. winmail.dat files
DOC - Microsoft® Word 97-2003 document
DOCX - Microsoft® Word 2007+ document
FLV - Flash video file
GIF - Graphics Interchange Format image
JPG - JPEG image
MP3 - MPEG 3 music file
MP4 - MPEG 4 video file
PDF - Adobe® PDF document
PSD - Photoshop® Document
TXT - Text file
XLS - Microsoft® Excel spreadsheet
XLSX - Microsoft® Excel 2007+ spreadsheet
See complete list of supported formats here

I am suspicious of the "free" file opener. because the referral wasn't from windows.com but rather shell.windows.com and I see no reason for this program supplier to make this service available to me without them getting something from me in return.

Can I safely import a reader from Free FIle Viewer? Is there some other more conventional way to get a .dat reader for my PC? I presently have Word Office Suite 2007, and OpenOfficeOrg 3.X installed

Edited by AntAltMike, 23 June 2013 - 02:45 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,900 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:46 AM

Is the attachment winmail.dat? If so, there's nothing usable in there for you.

#3 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,474 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:40 AM

My first instinct would be to reply to the email and tell them you can not read the attachment and ask them to send it in another format.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#4 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:49 AM

My first instinct would be to reply to the email and tell them you can not read the attachment and ask them to send it in another format.

Yeah, I was just thinking of doing that.  In fact, back when I didn't know what an attachment was, I used to tell people to copy the body of their attachment and to simply paste it onto an e-mail.

I have another laptop that is a decade or more old and is on Wiondows XP that I might start using just for importing things that i am apprehensive about.  There are a lot of services offering free technical manuals for prodiucts they didn't furnish, but they require that I first download their "free reader".  I think I'll do that on my slug computer.

Edited by AntAltMike, 23 June 2013 - 05:29 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,474 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:54 AM

Cnet.com has a free .dat file viewer. I have downloaded free stuff from them several times without problems.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#6 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:38 AM

wonder if open office can open it..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#7 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,474 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:56 AM

I use Open Office and I looked at the file types when you choose "open" and I did not see the .dat type in the list.

#8 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,681 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:02 AM

wonder if open office can open it..

If you have a business version of Awfuce, Outluck should be able to open it.

I use a utility from EOLSoft called Winmail Opener to deal with this particular Micro$oft malfeasance.

For background, this is usually a result of a broken (or wrongly configured) Exchange server that fails to convert the proprietary Microsoft storage format to anything that is RFC compliant before it goes out.

It is best not to use Microsoft tools for things that need to be standards compliant.  They put their special brand of stink on most everything they do.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#9 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,681 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:05 AM

I use Open Office and I looked at the file types when you choose "open" and I did not see the .dat type in the list.

.DAT is a widely used extension for various applications.  You need to look very specifically for solutions to the winmail.dat issue.

See post #8 for one possible solution.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#10 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:27 AM

Cnet.com has a free .dat file viewer. I have downloaded free stuff from them several times without problems.

I went there and got a royal jerking.  I tried to download the winmail reader, and when I got to the page where it offered me preselected super installation options where they took over my tool bar, search default, etc, I unchecked all of them and hit next or whatever but I got the cryptic "can't download, try again" message, so when i tried again, I got the preselected installation options offering that I again unchecked, and it gave me the no-can-do, try again message, so the third time around, I clicked an alternate download button but from there it skipped over the screen with the installation options, then it flipped me from the Mozilla browser I was using to my Explorer 10 screen, where the toolbar had been changed and a bubble in the upper left said, "now click finish to finish the intensive installation that you don't want" (or something like that) and it wouldn't let me click anything else, so I restarted the computer without "finishing" the installation.  I still can't read a .dat file but when I accessed my Explorer 10, its tool bar now has some new options and most of the Explorer screen said that if I clicked "here" I could get Explorer 9 which I declined to do.

Somewhere along the sequence, it tried really hard to get me to download some kind of Reg cleaner to help speed up ,my computer, which I endeavored to decline but who knows, maybe it is possible for someone to assign "accept" to a "decline" button.  I hardly ever use Explorer. so I might never know for sure how much it has been screwed up, but as I said in my previous post, I am going to simply contact my doctor's office and have them reformat the attachment.

Edited by AntAltMike, 23 June 2013 - 09:30 AM.

#11 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,681 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:45 AM

Use the link near the bottom of the CNET page to do a direct download (without all the fireworks of the CNET installer).

The link is carefully disguised with the phrase "Direct Download Link".

#12 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,474 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:59 AM

I went there and got a royal jerking.  I tried to download the winmail reader, and when I got to the page where it offered me preselected super installation options where they took over my tool bar, search default, etc, I unchecked all of them and hit next or whatever but I got the cryptic "can't download, try again" message, so when i tried again, I got the preselected installation options offering that I again unchecked, and it gave me the no-can-do, try again message, so the third time around, I clicked an alternate download button but from there it skipped over the screen with the installation options, then it flipped me from the Mozilla browser I was using to my Explorer 10 screen, where the toolbar had been changed and a bubble in the upper left said, "now click finish to finish the intensive installation that you don't want" (or something like that) and it wouldn't let me click anything else, so I restarted the computer without "finishing" the installation.  I still can't read a .dat file but when I accessed my Explorer 10, its tool bar now has some new options and most of the Explorer screen said that if I clicked "here" I could get Explorer 9 which I declined to do.

Somewhere along the sequence, it tried really hard to get me to download some kind of Reg cleaner to help speed up ,my computer, which I endeavored to decline but who knows, maybe it is possible for someone to assign "accept" to a "decline" button.  I hardly ever use Explorer. so I might never know for sure how much it has been screwed up, but as I said in my previous post, I am going to simply contact my doctor's office and have them reformat the attachment.

Dang it. Sorry about that. They did not used to do that.

Try opening the Control Panel and look for the program / toolbar that you see at the top of your page that you did not want and Uninstall them if they are there.

Don't just randomly uninstall things as some programs that you do use and want have some tag along programs with weird names sometimes.

#13 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:12 AM

Use the link near the bottom of the CNET page to do a direct download (without all the fireworks of the CNET installer).

The link is carefully disguised with the phrase "Direct Download Link".

I think that was the one that worked but also opened Pandora's box.

#14 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,181 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:40 PM

Fergedddaboutit.... the dat files are frequently messy, and if things are done correctly, you never see them. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#15 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,900 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:52 PM

Winmail.dat is included with ETF formatted emails. Did they actually say they were sending an attachment? I never open any attachment that I'm not specifically expecting.

#16 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:17 PM

Winmail.dat is included with ETF formatted emails. Did they actually say they were sending an attachment? I never open any attachment that I'm not specifically expecting.

It has to be their attachment, because the critical information they were supposed to send me and had foreshodowed in the title of the e-mail was not included in the bidy of the e-mail

#17 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,900 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:20 PM

They probably forgot to actually attachment, you should have seen two.

Actually, to be honest, that kind of thing shouldn't be in a normal attachment and needs to be encrypted, but I'm no expert on HIPAA.

#18 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,181 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:37 PM

It has to be their attachment, because the critical information they were supposed to send me and had foreshodowed in the title of the e-mail was not included in the bidy of the e-mail

Well, no, Mike, it actually doesn't have to be the attachment, and most likely is not. I'd e-mail back and ask for a re-send. 

Good luck!

#19 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:50 PM

Well, no, Mike, it actually doesn't have to be the attachment, and most likely is not. I'd e-mail back and ask for a re-send. 

Good luck!

It actually DOES have to be the attachment, because otherwise, they did not send me the critical price information that they said in the title they were sending me and there would be no way for me to consummate this $10,000 plus elective surgery.

#20 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,181 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:13 PM

Otherwise....

Which could include:

They attached it, but it became unattached in transit.

They didn't attach it.

It got mangled in transit.

So, I wouldn't spend any more time on the .dat file unless you enjoy sleuthing. Recontact them and have it re-sent.

Best of luck.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...