Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Choosing the right hard drive ENCLOSURE to use with HR DVRs

Enclosure

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   xtc

xtc

Legend

• Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:13 AM

What's the best enclosure to purchase in order to put a HDD inside and connect to an HR34?

I looked at the Giant thread regarding drives and there is no clear winner, so I wanted to create a dedicated thread for enclosures.

In that thread, 2 enclosures that I've seen mentiond are the  Thermaltake BlacX eSATA USB Docking Station and the Vantec NexStar CX NST-300SU-BK

The first one is just a dock, not really an enclosure, and many reported having problems with it because of the power button. I'm not sure what the benefit of this dock is over enclosures other than it's an easy plug and play.

The second seems like a great price and had some positive reviews, but neither of these have fans, which may be problematic due to heat issues from the drive itself.

Is it best to find a good eSata enclosure that also has a fan? If so, which do you recommend? I've used an Antec MX-1 before, and it's ok, hoping to find something better though. And its hard to find since its discontinued.. 

Please post suggestions of what has worked for you, especially reasonable priced enclosures with fans.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   xtc

xtc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:09 AM

What do you think of this one? http://www.amazon.co...ill METAS BLACK

Edited by xtc, 23 June 2013 - 09:21 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,778 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:11 AM

You already have a thread going where several a few of us gave you solid advice.  Go with the TT Dock or the Vantec, either one. 

With or without fan, it doesn't matter as long as there is airflow around the drive.  One thing to keep in mind, fans make noise.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,523 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:16 AM

One thing to keep in mind, fans make noise.

As do hard drives sufficiently bared to convection cool.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   xtc

xtc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:20 AM

You already have a thread going where several a few of us gave you solid advice.  Go with the TT Dock or the Vantec, either one. 

With or without fan, it doesn't matter as long as there is airflow around the drive.  One thing to keep in mind, fans make noise.

I know that those have been suggested, as I already mentioned. But neither have fans which I mentioned as well. And it does matter even if there is airflow around the drive. The additional fan can only help.

#6 OFFLINE   xtc

xtc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:20 AM

I think this one may actually be the best price for an eSata enclosure with a fan : http://www.amazon.co...=Rosewill METAS

#7 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:09 AM

I don't think new [personal] thread will give more then we accumulate for last few years in other thread dedicated to drives and dock/enclosure. I wouldn't ignore time and effort of many members who did try and share cons/pros in posts. It's pretty conservative trend and bringing new not tested devices will not change the outcome:

- TT BlacX dock is optimal and perfectly working solution

- for proved alternatives see existing threads.

#8 OFFLINE   xtc

xtc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:19 AM

I don't think new [personal] thread will give more then we accumulate for last few years in other thread dedicated to drives and dock/enclosure. I wouldn't ignore time and effort of many members who did try and share cons/pros in posts. It's pretty conservative trend and bringing new not tested devices will not change the outcome:

- TT BlacX dock is optimal and perfectly working solution

- for proved alternatives see existing threads.

That thread has over 2,500 posts dating back several years. Most of the information there is either outdated or not conclusive.  It would be smart if this forum had a Wiki Community Board after the first post in that thread to summarize whats been said over 2,500 posts like SlickDeals has, but this forum doesn't have that, that's why a thread like this would be helpful for someone that just wants to get answers instead of going through all that clutter for ages.

Plus the topic here is specifically about enclosures, while the top there is specifically about drives with just a small percentage of the advice on enclosures.

#9 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:24 AM

xtc, many of us have used both the TT dock and the Antec MX-1, and some have moved on to the Vantec.  But this is the internet, if anything breaks, there will be someone who will start what seems like a personal vendetta campaign against whatever product failed on them.  The HDD's run slightly warm to the touch in the open air TT dock.  The HDD's seem to run almost cool to the touch when insalled in an enclosure that uses a fan, like the older Antec MX-1 or one of the newer recommended ones.  The one thing to remember about the fanned enclosures is they will be preiodically need to be cleaned for dust, like anything else with a fan, and occasionally replaced when the fans begin to fail. Replacing a $30ish TT dock possibly every few years due to power failure related to the AC adapter or the power button is really pretty minor, despite what the naysayers post...Currently I'm using all TT docks, after the last of my Antec MX-1 fans went bad, but I had been using them for several years.Thats about the time I evaluate the drives anyway so it wasnt that big a deal.  One of the most important things to remember is by increasing the storage capacity you can retain a lot more hours of recordings, but that also makes the loss of a drive or dvr a little more painful because you have more recordings that may be harder to replace at risk due to falure.

#10 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:37 AM

to TS: (it would be my last post here and I will no bother you anymore)

you did artificial cut off and try to spin out duplicate thread what lost main idea: discuss external STORAGE for DTV DVRs.

It's a pretty much solid aggregation: a drive and a enclosure/dock. And ppl will use it that way...

#11 OFFLINE   xtc

xtc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:48 AM

to TS: (it would be my last post here and I will no bother you anymore)

you did artificial cut off and try to spin out duplicate thread what lost main idea: discuss external STORAGE for DTV DVRs.

It's a pretty much solid aggregation: a drive and a enclosure/dock. And ppl will use it that way...

what is TS? and I have no clue what you are talking about. English please?

#12 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:05 AM

I'm done.

#13 OFFLINE   xtc

xtc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:28 AM

Way to go out with a bang with that mumbling.

#14 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,412 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:05 PM

I think this one may actually be the best price for an eSata enclosure with a fan : http://www.amazon.co...=Rosewill METAS

There have been many posts about problems with the Rosewill enclosures.  About cooling and the TT docks:  I've never had one problem related to the HDDs overheating while installed in a dock.  

Rich

#15 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,412 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:13 PM

Way to go out with a bang with that mumbling.

The TS is the Thread Starter.  The OP is the opening post.  Have you not noticed the title above your avatar?  It says very clearly, "Thread Starter".  That's exactly where TS comes from.  Originally we called the TS the OP (Original Poster) and the first post also the OP (Original Post), but that became confusing and was changed to what you see (if you take a minute to look) today.

Rich

#16 OFFLINE   hclarkjr

hclarkjr

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:26 PM

anybody ever try startech.com enclosures?http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i got one  and am going to pair it with a WD AV-GP 2TB.

Edited by hclarkjr, 23 June 2013 - 12:27 PM.

Cooler master HAF932, Dell 2408WFP, Gigabyte P67A-UD4 B3 REV. 1.1, Intel core I7 2600K, XIGMATEK SD-1283 Gaia, Intel X25-M G2 160GB,16gb G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 1600mhz,Crossfired Radeon HD6950, Pioneer BDR-205, Samsung SH-S243N 24X DVD-RW, western digital black 2TB,Antec TPQ-850 850W , windows 7 ultimate SP1 X64

#17 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,412 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:36 PM

Huh.  That's really interesting.  Please let us know how you make out with it.  Believe me, you don't really need the fan, but it might extend the life of the HDD.  Good find!

Rich

#18 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:33 PM

Oh boy ! What a contraption. :D

#19 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,778 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:01 PM

I know that those have been suggested, as I already mentioned. But neither have fans which I mentioned as well. And it does matter even if there is airflow around the drive. The additional fan can only help.

No, it doesn't matter.    I've been using fanless enclosures on HR's for years and have had no drive failures.  However if you want a noisy fan taking away from your viewing experience then be my guest.  Not sure why you'd ask for other's opinions if you already have your mind set though...

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#20 OFFLINE   hclarkjr

hclarkjr

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:39 AM

Huh.  That's really interesting.  Please let us know how you make out with it.  Believe me, you don't really need the fan, but it might extend the life of the HDD.  Good find!

Rich

not too good as it turns out. the HR44 seen the drive right away and formated it with no trouble at all. but, every 30 minutes or so the screen would freeze then go to blank. i would have to hit the back button on the remote to go bak to the channel i was on. i also tried recording a program overnight with the DVR turned off same results, it froze after 30 minutes. any idea what is causing this? i have switched back to the internal drive till i can figure out what is going on.

Cooler master HAF932, Dell 2408WFP, Gigabyte P67A-UD4 B3 REV. 1.1, Intel core I7 2600K, XIGMATEK SD-1283 Gaia, Intel X25-M G2 160GB,16gb G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 1600mhz,Crossfired Radeon HD6950, Pioneer BDR-205, Samsung SH-S243N 24X DVD-RW, western digital black 2TB,Antec TPQ-850 850W , windows 7 ultimate SP1 X64

spam firewall