Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New HR44 very slow downloading menu banners

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Kev4Bama

Kev4Bama

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:30 AM

I took the plunge and upgraded to Genie this past Saturday. I got lucky and the tech brought out an HR44. On a side note he couldn't believe my knowledge of the system or how nice my whole home setup was (which I did on my own thanks to everyone here) and they didn't know about.

Anyways the new HR44 has been working great except for one thing. The artwork for Programs and the What's On banners doesn't want to seem to load at least not in any hurry. Wanted to see if y'all have had the same experiences.

As soon as installer hooked up the 44 he forced a software download to the newest software. After being up and running about 26 hours I checked it out and there was some non blank banners here and there but very incomplete. I did a red button reset at that time and after a few minutes decides a full power cycle might be best. This of course erased everything as far as artwork again only leaving the rectangles with text in them. I checked again this morning almost another 24 hrs later and it is still missing 90% of artwork on banners. Are these just super slow to initially load everything ? Seems like my HR-23 would always load everything within 24 hrs after a reset or power loss. I checked and HR44 is connected the the Internet. I can load TV apps fine and can even send commands to the 44 through the voice feature on the newest iPhone app. I know this issue doesn't affect performance, just annoying to a perfectionist. ;)

HR23-700 ,H21-200, H24-700, Genie H44-700 AU9-SL3 Dish
SWM-16 , DECA network hooked to internet, WHDVR/MRV

Tailgate Setup: AU9-SL3 on 3' Tripod, H21-200
runs on Legacy port of SWM-16 when not at the game.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Kev4Bama

Kev4Bama

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:43 AM

Also a bit of info I forgot, the Internet is getting to the HR44 through coax not the built in wireless. I had an existing hardwired cinema connection kit on the entire system already so the installer said it would be best to use that rather than the built in wireless.

#3 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,655 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:06 AM

I have a HR34-700. Like your HR44 it too seems to take a little longer to load things like artwork and banners than my previous HD DVRs.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#4 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:05 AM

You should only do a red button reset when the unit is completely non-responsive.  The preferred way is to reboot the unit via the menu options. 

The double reboot within 30 mins (RBR then "full power cycle") is what zapped your guide data and it needs time to rebuild.  A fresh rebuild can take up to 48 hours for everything to appear.  Be patient and it will all show up eventually.

• Kev4Bama likes this
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#5 OFFLINE   Kev4Bama

Kev4Bama

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:34 AM

What is the process to reboot through the menu system? I had also unplugged my HR23 when I took it downstairs as the Genie took its place and it had reloaded all of its data within just a few hours

You should only do a red button reset when the unit is completely non-responsive. The preferred way is to reboot the unit via the menu options.

The double reboot within 30 mins (RBR then "full power cycle") is what zapped your guide data and it needs time to rebuild. A fresh rebuild can take up to 48 hours for everything to appear. Be patient and it will all show up eventually.

#6 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:41 AM

menu--settings and help-settings-reset-restart receiver....does a nice graceful reboot....there are 2 other options on that page, you usually dont want to use the other 2....

Edited by CCarncross, 24 June 2013 - 09:50 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,117 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:00 PM

What is the process to reboot through the menu system? I had also unplugged my HR23 when I took it downstairs as the Genie took its place and it had reloaded all of its data within just a few hours

Unless you rebooted your HR23 twice in 30 minutes It didn't actually need to re download everything like the genie did after you flushed all its data before it had finished downloading it all. Just let it be and see if its all there in three or four days.

And a menu reboot is settings, reset, restart. However, I have learned recently that evidently with genies, it doesn't matter anymore, clients or server, so rbr or menu restart work about the same evidently on that platform. I did not hear about it changing with the older hr2xs though.

#8 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,202 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:27 PM

The Menu restart is the more cautious route to take when rebooting. There's little or no evidence that a RBR does harm, but in theory it could. I find I don't have to move my derriere off the couch, another benefit.... :grin:

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#9 OFFLINE   Kev4Bama

Kev4Bama

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:52 AM

Thanks for help everyone. After a few days now it has appeared to update everything. I will try to use the menu to reboot when I need to in the future.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...