Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 and C31 issues right after installation

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   clueless

clueless

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:49 AM

I had an HR34 and two C31's installed on 6/17 (Monday).   Also a new SWM LNB, splitter and DECA for whole home DVR service.   DECA is hard wired to router for internet access.    The HR34 and two C31's are the only units.

Saturday the HR34 became VERY sluggish to respond to the remote and the video was freezing for 5 to 10 seconds at a time.  Audio did not freeze.   Both the TV's attached to the C31's were displaying gray screens.

I rebooted the HR34 with a RBR and everything was OK.   I ran a system test and the two error messages I got were "not connected to a phone line" and "dropping network connections".   I understand you get the "dropping network connections" if you turn off the C31's which I have been doing.

This morning the exact same thing happened again.

Other than the two issues things have worked well.

I've searched and found some similar problems but none that had a definite fix.   All three units appear to have the latest software installed.

Before I call DirecTV does anyone have any ideas on that the issue could be?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Joe166

Joe166

AllStar

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:32 AM

I have had an HR34 for a few months.   I started getting freezes and stuttering periodically.   I would RBR and it would seem to go away.   After a few weeks it got worse and worse and finally started doing it almost every other day, so I called and after the typical song and dance (repeating everything I had already done) and telling them that it also stuttered and froze on the genie itself, they sent a tech who installed another (refurbished) HR34 and replaced the multi switch outside because it was "hot" (I thought they were all hot).    Worked fine for the first three weeks.   This morning, I got a call from my wife that it has started again.    It has only done it once so far, but I am not a happy camper if it follows the pattern.   The "new" box has the latest software, loaded late last week.  

I have no idea what the problem is, but would be interested in any opinions also.  I just wanted you to know you are not alone.    From this forum I get the impression that this is far from the norm and that most of these genies work just fine.   I always worry when I get a refurb box since many problems I have had are very intermittent and I don't know how they would ever know how to refurb that if it doesn't happen while they have it on for "testing".    

Edited by Joe166, 24 June 2013 - 08:33 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   clueless

clueless

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:06 AM

I'm not sure if mine is a refurbished HR34 or not.    I got all the equipment for "free" so it's certainly possible it is.

Thanks for replying.  Hopefully others will chime in with thoughts

I'm going to wait to call after it happens when I'm home so I can get some videos of the issue for documentation.

#4 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,687 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:40 PM

Well, I can think of two things to try. One is to unplug all units, including the lnb power supply, and plug it back it. Power supply first after about ten minutes. That may have no affect though if you where still getting audio.

Also, do to resets back to back to clear guide data.

However again, that's not likely todo to much to be honest. If you where still getting audio, it sounds more like either. A hard drive issue or a software glitch. Of course a reset can help with software glitches, which is why I suggested them. The question will be if it comes back, and if so how soon.

#5 OFFLINE   clueless

clueless

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:24 PM

Well this time both the C31's are just displaying gray screens. The HR34 is currently working - for now. RBRing the C31s did nothing to help them. Not rebooting the HR34 as it is recording for the next few hours - well it's supposed to anyway. Guess I'll do that before work in the AM.

This is getting old fast. Sigh.

#6 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,480 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:13 PM

I'd try unplugging the C31s, leave 'em depowered for a bit. Then, when recording time is over, do the same with the Genie, but for ten minutes,  then start up the Genie, test, and then bring one 31 online, then the other. Hoep this does it! 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#7 OFFLINE   clueless

clueless

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:00 PM

The HR34 ended up starting the video freezing problem shortly after I posted last night.    An RBR again fixed the issue.

Every time (3 so far) the HR34 has started having issues it was shortly (within 15 minutes) after I turned on the C31 in the bedroom and got a gray screen.   It has never happened after turning on the C31 in kitchen.  

I know this is a limited set of data but it seems to point to an issue with that C31 or possibly the wiring.    If it happens again after powering on the bedroom C31 I'm going to swap them and see what happens. 

#8 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,334 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:25 PM

IIRC, the grey screen was a bug with a previous NR. What is the current software on the clients
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   clueless

clueless

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:44 AM

Just to update.   I haven't had any issues in a couple of weeks.  Not sure what the problem was.   I did assign static IP addresses to all the devices.   Or maybe I had an old version of software.  In any case so far so good.

#10 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,334 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:54 PM

Awesome.  Thanks for the update

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

spam firewall