Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Speakers 'pop' and receiver goes into 'Overload' - HR24

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   AndyInNYC

AndyInNYC

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:36 PM

I have an HR24 attached via HDMI to, an HDMI breakout box and then to a JVC receiver via an optical connection and HDMI in to the TV for video.

Recently the speakers will 'pop' and the receiver goes into overload.  If I bypass the receiver and use the TV for audio I sometimes still get the pop (but the TV doesn't 'overload').

I've ordered a new receiver (so if it is the receiver, all is well), but could this be a DVR issue?

Google searches and searches here turned up little to help.

Andrew

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,353 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:26 PM

The receivers send out a line level signal to the next device.

However, you are getting this pop from 2 distinct different setups which might indicate a problem with the DTV receiver.

Does this happen on multiple channels or just one ?

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,692 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:19 PM

To further this line of inquiry are these coming from local channels rebroadcast on Direct TV? (LIL). My local CW at times gets so bad I won't use my AVR for all the pops and signal squeals. Off air viewing is only slightly better on this channel.

One of the pop/squeals forced me to have to disconnect a Yamaha YSP-1000 from power for several minutes and then set up all over again as though new.

The amp overload should be from heat I would have thought but perhaps it is merely protecting itself from a signal level spike. Can you run the amp from say a DVD input for as long a time as your TV viewing and does it pop and go overload?

Is the HDMI cable you connect to the AVR horizontal or vertical in its placement? If the latter could a sound peak jar things enough to break contact on a dangling HDMI connection? Does picture go strange at that moment as well? DUH after reading you use optical to the AVR just as I do. Ignore this question brain popped eyes blinking.

HDMI Breakout box? A splitter? Is it powered? How does it and its power supply (if external) feel? Is it hot?

Don "just some things that come to mind to check" Bolton

The receivers send out a line level signal to the next device.
However, you are getting this pop from 2 distinct different setups which might indicate a problem with the DTV receiver.

Does this happen on multiple channels or just one ?

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#4 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 619 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:16 AM

Don't know if this is related.

Recorded season 2 of Homeland during Showtime preview last weekend.  Hooked up with optical audio from HR24-500 to Onkyo receiver (no HDMI inputs on receiver), HDMI to Samsung TV.   Can only play a few seconds at a time, and receiver output "pops" and goes dead with blinking status light on receiver.  Reset receiver and sound comes back, but will only go a short time before happening again.  No problem with audio on tv, but it's just stereo.

Same setup with Sony DVD player - optical audio to receiver, HDMI to TV, and it plays DVDs with to problem.

Still trying to find my receiver manual to see what blinking status light indicates.

DirecTV customer since 1997
HR24-500, HR22-100
I don't do buddy/friends lists, don't ask.

spam firewall