Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Should I have to re-up my contract to add Samsung RVU service?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   slapshot54

slapshot54

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:10 PM

I just called to add my Samsung ES6500 as an RVU client and had some conflicting information. The first CSR told me that this would NOT cause me to renew for another 24 months, then I got transferred to the order verification people and they tried to slip the 24 month renewal by me. Can someone tell me which is correct because I would prefer to have some leverage by not having another 24 months left on my contract. Thanks for the help friends.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,723 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:30 PM

From what I understand if you add / increase the system you do trigger a 24 month contract.

However, I read that an Owned receiver does not. I would consider the TV as an Owned receiver in this case.

If this is replacing a receiver it definitely should not trigger the new contract.

The above is based on what I read in these forums.

• aldridge likes this

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   slapshot54

slapshot54

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:54 PM

Well I had the HR34 hooked up to my old TV which is being moved to the bedroom. The new Samsung TV is now in the living room and I want to run this off RVU. I already have the cinema connection kit so no new equipment, just coax run to the bedroom and Cat5 to the living room.

#4 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,868 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:59 PM

I would think no commitment. But not positive. Maybe get the access card department. They might be able to say better than anyone.

#5 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 900 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:06 PM

It's no commitment. An RVU TV is considered owned equipment. It's pretty rare for someone to call and request an install of one, so I think that's where the miscommunication came from.

DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#6 OFFLINE   jford951

jford951

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:01 PM

It is no commitment I just did mine Samsung about a month ago.  It did take me 5 calls to get the right equipment sent to me though.  CRS is not informed on this equipment setup at all

[URL="http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=3113347&posted=1#post311334""]My Setup[/URL]

#7 OFFLINE   slapshot54

slapshot54

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:46 PM

Thanks everyone. Finally got it straightened out after 5 calls. It's to be installed tomorrow and as far as I know there is no commitment.

#8 OFFLINE   nelsonrl

nelsonrl

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:12 PM

what equipment is needed? I already have a genie.

#9 OFFLINE   slapshot54

slapshot54

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:30 PM

Just a comparable TV. All of samsung's 2012 and 2013 smart TV and some 2013 Sony models I believe.

#10 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:00 AM

Not all of Samsung's TVs... there is an approved list: 

http://forums.solids...the-latest-list

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#11 OFFLINE   nelsonrl

nelsonrl

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:33 AM

thanks. my tv is compatible, I just haven't activated yet. I have a dvr attached so other than sayings have it working, not sure I see the real need.

#12 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• Registered
  • 12,978 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:30 AM

It is no commitment I just did mine Samsung about a month ago.  It did take me 5 calls to get the right equipment sent to me though.  CRS is not informed on this equipment setup at all

What equipment, and sent by whom? 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#13 OFFLINE   jford951

jford951

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:27 PM

What equipment, and sent by whom?

I needed a broadband conection kit to hook it up. Customer service sent me one because I already coax at the tv. I took me many calls to get them to understand that was all I needed. Some said I use the wireless and some insisted I use the coax to the tv. I finally got a guy who looked at there set up in the office and then understood
[URL="http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=3113347&posted=1#post311334""]My Setup[/URL]

#14 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• Registered
  • 12,978 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:34 PM

Was your Genie already installed with internet before? 

#15 OFFLINE   jford951

jford951

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:50 PM

Was your Genie already installed with internet before?

yes I went for the 5 tuners and bigger hard drive before clients were even available

#16 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• Registered
  • 12,978 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:42 PM

Maybe I am missing something, but with a Genie, you could have hooked up your internet right to the box with an ethernet cable. And my understanding of TV clients is all they need is an ethernet cable. Do you have other receivers on DECA?

#17 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,923 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:43 PM

Maybe I am missing something, but with a Genie, you could have hooked up your internet right to the box with an ethernet cable. And my understanding of TV clients is all they need is an ethernet cable. Do you have other receivers on DECA?

or coax with a DECA Home adapter
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...