Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH Launches Advanced, Affordable Hotel TV Solution to Heighten In-Room Entertainment Experience

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,346 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:48 PM

DISH Launches Advanced, Affordable Hotel TV Solution to Heighten In-Room Entertainment Experience
DISH_SMARTbox.jpg
  • Expands in-room entertainment with up to 96 channels in high-definition (HD)
  • One low-profile unit supports HD and SD channels in every room
  • Operator friendly features: lowered power consumption, remote management toolset, reduced rack-space footprint
MINNEAPOLIS--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Today, DISH has introduced a flexible satellite television platform targeted at hotels and hospitality operations that improves the in-room entertainment experience for guests and reduces total cost of ownership for operators. DISH is demonstrating its SMARTbox solution at the HITEC 2013 conference in Minneapolis. The DISH booth is located at booth #1625.

DISH's new SMARTbox technology for hospitality operations expands available HD channels up to 96, an improvement over the industry standard of 12-24 HD channels. (Photo: Business Wire)

Most hotel solutions use modified residential receivers - since hotel owners face different challenges than residential customers, SMARTbox was designed as an enterprise-grade solution with the following features:
  • Scales to provide 36-96 channel lineup in HD and SD, an improvement over the industry standard of 12-24 HD channels,
  • One unit will have flexibility to provide HD and SD channels simultaneously, making it efficient and cost effective to serve all TVs in any size hotel,
  • Reduced size will replace the three sizable racks measuring seven-feet tall with a single SMARTbox unit built to standard rack-width spacing and stands only nine inches high,
  • Remote monitoring and management capabilities enable easier deployment and maximize uptime,
  • Low total cost of ownership with up to 90 percent reduction in power consumption and up to 93 percent reduction in rack space compared to similar solutions.
"SMARTbox delivers a better overall free-to-guest operating experience for managers and a vastly improved end-user experience for guests," said Robert Grosz, vice president of Commercial Sales at DISH. "Reducing installation, power consumption and management overhead are big wins in free-to-guest; having happier guests is even better."
"As hotels face increasing costs to transition to HD, SMARTbox will deliver digital HD capabilities and analog SD from a single unit, making it ideal for hotels transitioning to new TVs," said Alistair Chatwin, director of Product Management at DISH. "This enterprise-grade solution also benefits management by providing greater reliability, configurability and increased uptime while reducing the total cost of ownership."
For more information about SMARTbox, visit http://commercial.dish.com.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:58 PM

Hmmm.

Looked it over real quick.

No boxes needed in each room, delivered via coax, and boocoo channels.

Maybe I missed something, but it looks like DISH has integrated an HD receiver package with HD modulators.

Yummy smack drool!.

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,461 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:54 PM

I didn't read all the details... but that sounds kind of slick...  This ought to give Dish a huge leg-up in terms of hotel and similar (hospitals maybe?) contracts in the commercial arena.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#4 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:11 AM

Maybe they are using it as a group of trans-modulators, with the transport stream being de-scrambled en-mass. That would allow for them to use certain QAM-capable TV sets (assuming they can demodulate MPEG-4, when necessary), without any in-room boxes.

#5 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:16 AM

I had wished for a D* 'Genie' type device, with no DVR but with 5 HD modulators.   This E* product is pretty close.  Wonder if OTA could be put on the coax too?  Be slick to have locals, and if the unit supported that, the owners of the facility could also add an in-house hospitality channel (if the article stated that I missed it BTW)

#6 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:05 AM

If it's going to be in full-service hotels (which have mostly already converted to HD?) it's going to need to include not only an in-house hospitality channel, but some PPV or VOD and probably the ability to view your bill/check out also.

This might be an even better solultion for MDUs like apartment buildings and assisted living facilities as an alternative to cable.

Dish subscriber since 2000, HD since 2004.

#7 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 719 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:58 AM

If the hotel owners added OTA into their service, wouldn't they have to pay retrans costs?

Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#8 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:12 AM

Man, if I owned a TV station and had out of towners with enough spendin' money to be stayin' in nice places like could have this TV system, I would think my advertisers would crap their pants if I threw a barricade between the loot and the businesses.

But I have a funny way of looking at things . . . . 

:coffee

#9 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,346 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:50 PM

I'm not sure how many out of towners buy based on advertisements they see in their hotel rooms - other than services provided by their hotel (PPV etc). Tourists may visit attractions that are advertised in motel magazines and handouts ... but that isn't local TV advertising.

Advertising is based on impact over time ... while a few ads are compelling enough to lead to an instant response most build up to a response by repetition. You see an advertiser 40 times and it begins to make an impact then some day you need that advertiser's product or service and you turn to a company you know through advertising (instead of the company that you have never heard of). Out of towners would not have the repetition - and I doubt an advertiser's regular TV ads would be aimed at the transient audience.

If the hotel got their locals via a satellite or cable provider they would rely on the provider to continue to provide a signal. If the signal was cut to other customers in the market the hotels would lose the signal. But it appears that the hotels themselves may retransmit signals if received on equipment commonly used for home reception. Which means if their antenna/antenna array can receive the signal they can send it to their rooms.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

spam firewall