Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 2 votes

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-13 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
792 replies to this topic

#126 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,366 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:37 AM

^ And this is what I meant about ... another poll. I wasn't deadly serious about doing a poll; however, captaink5217 @ #107 responded as if I was.

Yes, I think that these three [Galavision HD, Playboy TV HD, QVC HD] rub a number of people, because there are more urgent linear HD from carried-only-in-SD programmers for which subscribers don't want to wait until D14 in 2014.

Urgent to who? There's so much disdain here for channels with people putting their personal channel wants ahead of what is possibly better additions. Again, Galavision is the #1 Spanish channel in ratings.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#127 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,866 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:42 AM

You really think those channels are "real popular," but QVC & Galavision aren't? Galavision is the highest rated Spanish channel around. http://lmgtfy.com/?q...sion tv ratings

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using DBSTalk mobile app

I don't see how Galavision is popular since all they show is old rehashed shows and soap operas from the 90's, But they do show news programs and wrestling from Mexico for the Hispanic community. They used to show some soccer but it's now on UD HD or UniMas.

Edited by acostapimps, 12 July 2013 - 12:45 AM.

• QuickDrop likes this

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#128 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,366 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:44 AM

GSN HD because, well, it is available from everyone else but DirecTV (which owns the majority of the programmer);

It's not HD on Fios, Cox, Mediacom.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#129 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,035 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:22 AM

It's not HD on Fios, Cox, Mediacom.

Verizon FiOS has/had been noted in being slow with HD; with programming that should have been carried from the get-go, like with Cartoon Network HD.

Now if you want to impress with this argument ... go ahead. You can create another thread, with a poll, asking us whether we would predict that DirecTV will end up the last among the four to add GSN HD.

#130 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,035 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:30 AM

Again, Galavision is the #1 Spanish channel in ratings.

This argument?

:scratch:

How is Shorts HD doing in the ratings? (Is it the No. 1-ranked cable-television programmer for short films? Note: I'm glad that Galavision HD will be added. My point before is not getting deflected or discredited by you, regardless how much would you like to try to achieve that. :nono:   :cool: )

#131 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,949 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:43 AM

With regards to a third, I would have made a choice of a programmer that targets both men and the general audience. That would have been Pac-12 Network HD. Of course, since that isn't already carried in linear SD, I would have said "never mind men specifically" and go ahead with one of the following two (that is still appealing to men and the general audience): GSN HD because, well, it is available from everyone else but DirecTV (which owns the majority of the programmer); or, I would have gone with Sundance Channel HD, because it is changing and becoming more substantial in its content (that and the fact that Dish Network carries it as well; but who am I to look at ... the competition?!).

Directv is a minority owner of GSN.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#132 OFFLINE   Robin112

Robin112

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:55 AM

galavision HD?, where is ESPN Deportes and FOX Deportes in HD? :(

Thats what i thought the sports channels are more important

#133 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:11 AM

All of this "discussion" back and forth about why one channel should/shouldn't be added over another only proves one point, that we don't know why Directv adds the channels they do. Only they know!

#134 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:12 AM

All of this "discussion" back and forth about why one channel should/shouldn't be added over another only proves one point, that we don't know why Directv adds the channels they do. Only they know!

What it really proves is that there are no channels left that are not already in HD that would be high on most people's list.  Every channel has some hard core supporters, but no channel is wanted by everyone, and I doubt that any of the channels that are not already in HD are wanted by a majority of DirecTV subscribers.

• sigma1914, Diana C and studechip like this

#135 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,366 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:13 AM

This argument?

:scratch:

How is Shorts HD doing in the ratings? (Is it the No. 1-ranked cable-television programmer for short films? Note: I'm glad that Galavision HD will be added. My point before is not getting deflected or discredited by you, regardless how much would you like to try to achieve that. :nono:   :cool: )

Short films isn't a genre to compare to what Spanish programming is. The Spanish population is a massive growing audience, a tv provider is a fool to not cater to them.

#136 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,035 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:31 AM

Directv is a minority owner of GSN.

Corrected. (Thanks.)

#137 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:21 AM

None of those are my cuppa, but congrats to those who have been waiting for them.

LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#138 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:39 AM

In using my imagination for this, one of the three linear high-definition programmers I would have selected would have been specifically targeted for children. That's because of the timing; that the kids are out of school for the summer. I would have selected The Hub HD.

As for a second, I would have selected Style Network HD, for the women. It has been more than a year since E! Entertainment Television HD was added. (That was in April 2012.) Style has been around for about 15 years. It's commonly carried in HD, and it would have been ahead (of this limited three) of We TV HD and fellow Comcast/NBC Universal-owned Oxygen HD. (What in hell is going on between Comcast/NBC Universal and DirecTV?!)

With regards to a third, I would have made a choice of a programmer that targets both men and the general audience. That would have been Pac-12 Network HD. Of course, since that isn't already carried in linear SD, I would have said "never mind men specifically" and go ahead with one of the following two (that is still appealing to men and the general audience): GSN HD because, well, it is available from everyone else but DirecTV (which, according to Wikipedia.org, owns 42 percent of the programmer); or, I would have gone with Sundance Channel HD, because it is changing and becoming more substantial in its content (that and the fact that Dish Network carries it as well; but who am I to look at ... the competition?!).

Style Network is mostly junk.  

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#139 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,366 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:56 AM

Style Network is mostly junk.  

Many people probably feel that way about channels you watch.

• SChonson and studechip like this

#140 OFFLINE   captaink5217

captaink5217

Legend

• Registered
  • 164 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:00 PM

This is so true, I would like to see them add Encore Drama and the West coast feed of Encore in HD, personally I'm happy QVC was added, I don't have to listen to my mother say "I could watch this channel in HD on cable, why did I switch"

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

Edited by captaink5217, 12 July 2013 - 04:23 PM.

Genie HR34-700
H24-200
C31-700

#141 ONLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,159 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:32 PM

Just sucks that I never got to see Best Ink in HD. That show is on Oxygen.

I don't have Style or Sprout because that's in the next package up. I'm not upgrading until they are in HD. Not gonna pay for SD. 8 month old daughter seems to pay attention to Sprout HD at my dads house with cable.

The wife would watch Style in HD. Hey DirecTV's loss. Not in HD, not up selling me the next package up.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD, Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#142 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 508 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:40 PM

We need a FreeView of the new Playboy TV HD.

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

#143 OFFLINE   R0am3r

R0am3r

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:36 PM

How do you know what Paul watches? 

#144 OFFLINE   gaperrine

gaperrine

AllStar

• Registered
  • 104 posts
  • LocationDexter MI

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:14 PM

FYI, many of the Spanish stations offer English subtitles if you select CC3.

I did not know that. Thanks for the information.

#145 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:21 PM

How do you know what Paul watches? 

It does not matter what Paul watches.  Whatever the channel is, many people will say it is garbage ;)

• sigma1914 likes this

#146 OFFLINE   whitewolf8214

whitewolf8214

AllStar

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:24 PM

I could of thought of better channels to add in HD than what they are adding none of them thrill me!! :)

• APB101 likes this

#147 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,366 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:10 PM

Just sucks that I never got to see Best Ink in HD. That show is on Oxygen.

I don't have Style or Sprout because that's in the next package up. I'm not upgrading until they are in HD. Not gonna pay for SD. 8 month old daughter seems to pay attention to Sprout HD at my dads house with cable.

The wife would watch Style in HD. Hey DirecTV's loss. Not in HD, not up selling me the next package up.

An 8 month old that's a HD snob? My kinda kid.

#148 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 2,224 posts
  • LocationJacksonville Fl

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:43 AM

Reelz is a must on this list since they started showing King.
  • APB101 likes this

#149 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:16 AM

I agree with your statement..

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#150 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,371 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:25 PM

It does not matter what Paul watches.  Whatever the channel is, many people will say it is garbage ;)

Exactly ... on anyone's list of favorite channels (including mine) there are channels that someone else is going to consider complete garbage. The list does not need to be named to know that. We have seen it over and over in these threads. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Which is why we (and perhaps this can be a reminder) discourage calling each other's favorite channel's garbage. While no one is required to be happy that DirecTV is adding a channel that they personally do not like instead of a channel that they want, name calling does not seem to further the conversation. Perhaps instead of "that channel is garbage" the issue could be expressed as "I would prefer DirecTV add Chiller" or GSN or whatever personal favorite one feels is being slighted.

Try to keep the the thread positive ... "channels I anticipate" not "channels I hate". :D
  • sigma1914, bjdotson, scoop8 and 1 other like this
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...