Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

iOS 7 Beta

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,190 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:45 AM

So is anyone here using iOS 7 Beta? I just loaded up the second Beta yesterday. I was a little skeptical at first but I must admit I'm liking it. Not a big fan of the thinner fonts but the whole OS does have a much more polished look.

After first loading the OS, many of the my third party apps were updated and as far as I can tell, all of them work. A few bugs here and there but nothing major. It's a pretty stable OS even for Beta software. Will probably keep it on my phone and use it for my every day tasks at least for now.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,568 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:59 AM

I loaded the second beta on my iPad. I'm not sure I like it UI wise, but haven't used it much. It does look like they support Activesync with Notes and I'm really looking forward to real multitasking.

Good thing you didn't load the first one, one of our developers after loading the second beta told me, "It's been an hour since I installed it, and it hasn't crashed yet. Better than Beta 1."

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:55 PM

I stay away from the beta on my i-devices...  I run enough beta stuff like Firefox and Thunderbird that I decided to not do everyone's beta possible :)

I've been reading a little... and I think I'll need to see iOS 7 in action before I pass judgment.  It definitely looks different, and different isn't always good or bad.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,380 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:30 PM

I would not install iOS7 until it is "jaibreakable"
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,232 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:26 AM

iOS 7 has a feature that would forever keep me from considering jailbreaking.  That is, the ability to brick the phone if it's stolen.  Even wiping the iPhone won't work if you don't know the owner's username and password.  I rather like that (sayeth the person who had his iPod stolen and couldn't believe Apple wouldn't 'brick' it when I reported it stolen and gave them the serial number).

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,380 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:52 AM

iOS 7 has a feature that would forever keep me from considering jailbreaking. That is, the ability to brick the phone if it's stolen. Even wiping the iPhone won't work if you don't know the owner's username and password. I rather like that (sayeth the person who had his iPod stolen and couldn't believe Apple wouldn't 'brick' it when I reported it stolen and gave them the serial number).

and why this would not work on a JB phone? JB never breaks any of the Apple features, it just "frees" the phone from Apple's stonghold
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,190 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:12 AM

and why this would not work on a JB phone? JB never breaks any of the Apple features, it just "frees" the phone from Apple's stonghold

I wouldn't say "never". I did a few jailbreaks but not anymore because of issues I had with battery life and third party apps.

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,380 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:56 AM

I wouldn't say "never". I did a few jailbreaks but not anymore because of issues I had with battery life and third party apps.

Battery issues are created by the user by installing tweaks that run the battery dry. I have a tweak that tells me the temperature on my LS, this of course is not battery friendly
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,380 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:59 AM

and if by 3rd party apps you mean DirecTV... well these is the downside of JB'ing but at least there is a tweak that takes cares of this
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,568 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:22 AM

Personally, I think with ios 7 there are fewer reasons to jailbreak. I missed sbsettings, but now you have quick access to frequently used settings from anywhere.

But then I just have an ipad, which wasn't added to the dmca exception.

#11 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,071 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:34 AM

Same here, I quit jailbreaking because it wasn't worth the time anymore and an jailbroken phone/pad really sucks battery life.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#12 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,568 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:43 AM

If I ever find one of my users jailbreaking their phone, they probably won't like the result. I'd break their corporate email connection. Doesn't matter that it's a personal device.

• wingrider01 likes this

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,380 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:40 PM

Personally, I think with ios 7 there are fewer reasons to jailbreak. I missed sbsettings, but now you have quick access to frequently used settings from anywhere.

But then I just have an ipad, which wasn't added to the dmca exception.

Until Apple makes something like MiniPlayer, custom themes, browserChoose, CallBar and PushTone there is always a reason to JB
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#14 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,568 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:37 AM

But the reasons are dwindling. Back in the day, when it was actually fairly difficult to jailbreak, you had to do it to get any apps at all. I haven't done it since, the risks are too great for me, even if I didn't have my work email on it. This is of course also leaving out the legality of it on iPads and iPod Touches.

#15 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,380 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:57 AM

But the reasons are dwindling. Back in the day, when it was actually fairly difficult to jailbreak, you had to do it to get any apps at all. I haven't done it since, the risks are too great for me, even if I didn't have my work email on it. This is of course also leaving out the legality of it on iPads and iPod Touches.

See, that is the misconception, that folks JB in or order not to pay for apps. while that might be the case, it is a minority. I JB so that I can customize the phone to my linking and get rid of stupid restrictions. I have Unrestrictor which let me use any app that would only work on WiFi (like DirecTV) and FaceTime(back in the days) on 4G
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#16 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,190 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:55 AM

See, that is the misconception, that folks JB in or order not to pay for apps. while that might be the case, it is a minority. I JB so that I can customize the phone to my linking and get rid of stupid restrictions. I have Unrestrictor which let me use any app that would only work on WiFi (like DirecTV) and FaceTime(back in the days) on 4G

Jailbreaking is good for those who like to remove restrictions and tinker but it's not for everyone. Personally, I just want my iPhone to work and not worry about what goes along with a JB. With that said though, I know I'm currently iOS 7 Beta right now and accept the pitfalls but luckily so far it hasn't been bad. It's also been fun having the new OS before everyone around me. :)

#17 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:08 AM

If I ever find one of my users jailbreaking their phone, they probably won't like the result. I'd break their corporate email connection. Doesn't matter that it's a personal device.

we would go 1 step further and terminate them, this is documented in the paperwork that they read and sign before we allow a personal phone on the corporate infrastructure.

#18 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,568 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:12 AM

I wasn't meaning that at all. I know that the vast majority of jailbreakers buy apps from the official app store as well as even buying apps in Cydia. The legality aspect I'm referring to is the fact that the DMCA exemption only covers phones, not tablets.

#19 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,568 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:14 AM

we would go 1 step further and terminate them, this is documented in the paperwork that they read and sign before we allow a personal phone on the corporate infrastructure.

Good policy, unfortunately not one that I would be able to have with the types of user that we have connecting their phones.

Fortunately we've only had two users in the past jailbreak.

#20 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,380 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:45 AM

Jailbreaking is good for those who like to remove restrictions and tinker but it's not for everyone. Personally, I just want my iPhone to work and not worry about what goes along with a JB. With that said though, I know I'm currently iOS 7 Beta right now and accept the pitfalls but luckily so far it hasn't been bad. It's also been fun having the new OS before everyone around me. :)

Don't know why folks keep saying a JB is unstable. The user makes it like that depending on the tweaks applied to it. I've had my iPhone 5 JB since it came out (JB) and so far is been great

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...