Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

iOS 7 Beta

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,190 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:51 PM

Don't know why folks keep saying a JB is unstable. The user makes it like that depending on the tweaks applied to it. I've had my iPhone 5 JB since it came out (JB) and so far is been great

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

Never said it was unstable but it's not perfect either. You mention yourself that there can be issues when tweaks are applied. Since no tweaks can be applied to a non JB phone, there are less chances of issues.

All I'm saying is that most don't really need it. I personally have been there, done that and it's not for me.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,271 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:59 PM

Never said it was unstable but it's not perfect either. You mention yourself that there can be issues when tweaks are applied. Since no tweaks can be applied to a non JB phone, there are less chances of issues.

All I'm saying is that most don't really need it. I personally have been there, done that and it's not for me.

I always thought that I never needed to JB, but to be honest, what did it for me, was the fact that I use Google Maps as a GPS on a daily basis and hated when I was driving and I get a phone call, the phone will kick me out of the GPS app to the phone app. A very bad implementation. I now have call bar which displays a banner on the top of the phone when a call comes in, very clean and elegant, and not to mention the ability to block callers, a feature missing from the iPhone from inception. It appears that this will be included on iOS7 but is counter intuitive because you select people to block from the contacts, instead of the missing call logs
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#23 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,190 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:29 PM

It appears that this will be included on iOS7 but is counter intuitive because you select people to block from the contacts, instead of the missing call logs

Don't think that's true. I just went into the call logs and was able to block a caller that was not in my contacts.

#24 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,271 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:06 PM

Don't think that's true. I just went into the call logs and was able to block a caller that was not in my contacts.

Then that was changed in Beta 2, because it was the case in beta 1
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#25 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,961 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:58 PM

Are you saying in IOS 7 you can block calls? This is my #1 reason to jailbreak. You wouldn't believe how many calls per day I get on my cell phone while at work asking me to switch electricity suppliers. It's ridiculous. With iBlacklist I got my phone back.

If I have this functionality in IOS7 then I can't wait to try it!

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#26 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,190 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:02 PM

Are you saying in IOS 7 you can block calls? This is my #1 reason to jailbreak. You wouldn't believe how many calls per day I get on my cell phone while at work asking me to switch electricity suppliers. It's ridiculous. With iBlacklist I got my phone back.

Yep,  it works. What it's really doing however is just sending the calls directly to voicemail. If someone leaves a message, you do NOT get the visual voicemail but it still sits in your voicemail box if you care to retrieve using the phone number. I tried it today and it works great. It also blocks text messages.

#27 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,961 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:05 PM

Yep, it works. What it's really doing however is just sending the calls directly to voicemail. If someone leaves a message, you do NOT get the visual voicemail but it still sits in your voicemail box if you care to retrieve using the phone number. I tried it today and it works great. It also blocks text messages.

That works for me. In iBlacklist I have my blacklisted number receive a "fast busy" signal. However 99% of those telemarketers don't leave a message anyway. I know I could change my number, but there's cost involved as well as giving out a new number to everyone.

Really I think that's the only reason I jailbreak. iOS 7 will be a nice change to try stock for awhile. Looking forward to it. Thanks for the confirmation on that feature.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#28 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:15 PM

Never really interested in JB ... It's just another thing to update even in a perfect world.

DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#29 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,067 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:17 AM

I've been "blacklisting" since iOS5 without jailbreaking.  Get a silent ringtone, setup a contact called "blacklist" and set it for your silent ringtone and no vibration.  Whenever someone calls that you don't want to talk to just add them to the "blacklist" contact.   Sure, the screen still lights up but you don't hear or feel the phone ring.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#30 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,190 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:52 AM

I've been "blacklisting" since iOS5 without jailbreaking.  Get a silent ringtone, setup a contact called "blacklist" and set it for your silent ringtone and no vibration.  Whenever someone calls that you don't want to talk to just add them to the "blacklist" contact.   Sure, the screen still lights up but you don't hear or feel the phone ring.

The only issue is that it doesn't work with text messaging right?  

#31 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,660 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:01 AM

If you don't get calls from folks not in your address book, you can also put the phone in "Do Not Disturb" mode, but allow exceptions for everyone you will take calls from.

/steve

#32 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,067 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:27 AM

The only issue is that it doesn't work with text messaging right?  

I haven't actually tried it but I would say probably not.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#33 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,271 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:11 PM

That works for me. In iBlacklist I have my blacklisted number receive a "fast busy" signal. However 99% of those telemarketers don't leave a message anyway. I know I could change my number, but there's cost involved as well as giving out a new number to everyone.

Really I think that's the only reason I jailbreak. iOS 7 will be a nice change to try stock for awhile. Looking forward to it. Thanks for the confirmation on that feature.

iBlacklist is by far the best "call block" tool. I love the fact that you can set it to get busy signal for those unwanted telemarketers. it does not leave a trace of block calls. no voicemail, no entry on the missed call log, no nothing, is like they never called
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#34 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:20 PM

Can someone tell me if iOS 7 allows you to copy and paste Calendar appointments? That's my biggest complaint with the Calendar.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#35 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,660 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:25 AM

Can someone tell me if iOS 7 allows you to copy and paste Calendar appointments? That's my biggest complaint with the Calendar.

Not that I can see, Merg.

Also, still no easy way to schedule a custom repeat appointment (every 3 weeks, e.g.). You either have to schedule it on a sync'd Google calendar, or with Siri.

/steve

#36 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:12 AM

Not that I can see, Merg.

Also, still no easy way to schedule a custom repeat appointment (every 3 weeks, e.g.). You either have to schedule it on a sync'd Google calendar, or with Siri.

Yeah, I don't use repeat appointments. Because my schedule changes so much, I just put in everything manually. I guess I'll continue to use Calendar+. They have a neat way of copying and pasting appointments.

Are you able to pick default apps for certain things, such as a web browser, mail, calendar? I thought that the release info hinted at that. Also, does the Control Center have a quick option for turning Personal Hotspot on and off?

Thanks.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#37 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,660 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:33 AM

Are you able to pick default apps for certain things, such as a web browser, mail, calendar? I thought that the release info hinted at that. Also, does the Control Center have a quick option for turning Personal Hotspot on and off?

Unfortunately no on both counts, at least as far as I can tell.

Control Center has shortcuts for Airplane Mode, WiFi, Bluetooth, Do Not Disturb and Lock on the top row.

Flashlight, Alarms, Calculator and Camera on the bottom row.

In between, top to bottom, is a brightness slider, music player progress bar, music player trickplay and music player volume control.

As far as default apps, there was no obvious section for this in Settings. I also checked the Safari settings, and there was no "make this the default browser" setting. :shrug:

I'll try installing Chrome now to see if it has a "make default" setting.

/steve

#38 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,660 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:40 AM

I'll try installing Chrome now to see if it has a "make default" setting.

Not that I can find.

/steve

#39 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:15 AM

I'll have to see if I can find the article where it talked about the default apps setting.

- Merg

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#40 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,660 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:38 AM

I'll have to see if I can find the article where it talked about the default apps setting.

I believe you can now tell Google apps to default to other Google apps under iOS. Maybe that's what you saw? If so, that works now with iOS 6, IIRC.

EDITED TO ADD: Just re-installed Gmail and saw this:

IMG_0327.PNG

/steve

Protected By... spam firewall...And...