Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SWiM16 DECA Ethernet Quandry?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SAT SITH

SAT SITH

• Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationFront Royal, Virginia

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:32 AM

hello all,

I've been a looong time lurker on this site and have gained much appreciated and invaluable information from many!

sorry if this topic is somewhere else on DBST, I just can't find it.

my question is, can I connect other broadband devices(bridges,bluray,consoles) that have ethernet passthru's on them,

between the home connect adaptor's ethernets port and the dvr's ethernet port? thus having all TV-internet traffic on one cable.

DTV phone tech wasn't much help, haven't tried calling again and getting CSR roullette going...

I have WHDVR with broadbandDECA, SWM16...

thanx again for any help and this site's knowledge base kicks serious butt!! \m/

HR34-700, HR21-700 (leased)

HR21-700(owned)

R16-300(owned)

R15-300(owned)

R15-500(owned)

R15-500(owned)

H10-200(owned)

lifetimeTIVO, PP, WHDVR, SWM16 broadbandDECA, NFLST4EVR

DTV since '96

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,616 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:54 AM

Using the DVR as a passthrough for Ethernet traffic is not advised as it can lead to some unintended performance problems on the DVR itself. If I read you proper you are thinking about adding a small switch between the roomside DECA and the DVR and other devices?

If that is the case I can assure you it isn't supported and I'm wondering if it would even work well. You are best off making sure your router has a good wireless G or N service and may need to add several wireless access points (or repeaters if you don't have a wired infrastructure (or can pull a wire for the access point))

I ran the tractor to mow this past weekend and streamed the NASCAR race at Sonoma thru my iPhone while doing so. About 3/4 an acre via the main radio and 3 WAPs.

In the end the "E" in DECA is Ethernet and people have been using it for other things besides just teh DirectTV Whole Home service and it may work just fine, but save for people here you'll be on your own.

Don "Sonoma is go fast turn left AND right, go up hill, go down hill too" Bolton

hello all,

I've been a looong time lurker on this site and have gained much appreciated and invaluable information from many!

sorry if this topic is somewhere else on DBST, I just can't find it.

my question is, can I connect other broadband devices(bridges,bluray,consoles) that have ethernet passthru's on them,

between the home connect adaptor's ethernets port and the dvr's ethernet port? thus having all TV-internet traffic on one cable.

DTV phone tech wasn't much help, haven't tried calling again and getting CSR roullette going...

I have WHDVR with broadbandDECA, SWM16...

thanx again for any help and this site's knowledge base kicks serious butt!! \m/

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#3 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:27 PM

I believe what you are describing will work.  The DECA adapter is essentially unstacking the signals into a satellite signal for SWM and an ethernet signal for VOD, Pandora, etc.  It's just a standard ethernet port on your network.  You can ping any other device on your network if you connect to it. 

I've done something similar but slightly different.  Rather than attach network equipment in line between the DECA and the receiver, I have daisy chained additional network equipment after the receiver. 

In the bedroom we have an HR21 with the ethernet passthrough.  I am just using that passthrough port as I would any other network connection. This bedroom is too far from my router to get good a WiFi signal from the router.  In order to provide WiFi to that room for the Blu Ray player and my laptop when I choose to sit and work in there I have connected a router set up in wireless bridge mode to the passthrough port on the HR21.  I could have just as easily connected a hub but I prefer the simplicity of the wireless connections.

Every indication is that I could have connected the router directly to the DECA and then connected the HR21 to an ethernet port on the router and achieved equivalent results.

"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#4 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,685 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:36 PM

Can you tell us what model receivers you have at the places you want to add stuff? This will make a difference. Also it's preferred not to, but it is possible as long as you understand what's going to happen.

spam firewall