Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

GenieGO instead of NFL ST streaming?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:35 PM

Can GenieGo be setup to accomplish the same benefit as, and instead of, the live streaming feature of Sunday Ticket Max? For example, if I had to leave my house over a Sunday, could I set up a GenieGo to watch my teams games? Can that be setup from outside the house? I understand GenieGo may not be able to do live streaming, but can it maybe stream with a slight delay?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:38 PM

GenieGo (formerly nomad) will eventually be allowed to allow live streaming of DVR recordings. So, I believe you could set a game to record and then use the GenieGo to live stream it to a device outside the home.

Edited by Justin23, 25 June 2013 - 12:39 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:56 PM

Thanks. I'm wondering what the pros and cons would be. Issues like HD, pause, ff, convenience, things I may not have thought of.

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,411 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:02 PM

Live streaming will be launching on 6/27. However, the GenieGo would not stream/download NFLST games.
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,946 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:03 PM

Using a dedicated streaming device (Monsoon or Sling) is an option if your Internet uplink is robust enough.

It seems likely that if they offer a additional cost streaming option, the Genie Go probably won't duplicate it for free.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:08 PM

Live streaming will be launching on 6/27. However, the GenieGo would not stream/download NFLST games.

Is the issue that the GenieGo won't stream/download NFLST games...or DVR's can't record them?

#7 OFFLINE   gpg

gpg

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,727 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:29 PM

DVRs can record NFLST games, but GenieGo won't transcode or stream them.
HR24-200,HR23-700,HR21-200, HR21-100, HR34-700,
Sony KDS-R50XBR1,HDMI, LG 37LH40,HDMI Vizio 390-A1,HDMI,Sony KDL-40NX711, HDMI, Vizio VO320E, HDMI, SWM16 with DECA,
Sony STR-DG1000 AV Receiver optical cable connection for HR24-200, GenieGo

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,411 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:32 PM

Is the issue that the GenieGo won't stream/download NFLST games...or DVR's can't record them?

is a DirecTV restriction, perhaps due to contracts....
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   Mike_TV

Mike_TV

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:00 AM

is a DirecTV restriction, perhaps due to contracts....

Yes.  Others have reported failures of Nomad/GenieGo to transcode sports and VOD in the past.  We've asked for a simple notification in the GUI for shows that will never transcode but that has never happened.  Users are left guessing why things don't work and then just get frustrated.

#10 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,344 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:12 AM

You can transcode your locally available games and nationally broadcasted games, but GenieGo won't transcode the out of market games.

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,411 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:41 AM

You can transcode your locally available games and nationally broadcasted games, but GenieGo won't transcode the out of market games.

The GenieGo will transcode any game that is broadcast on any of the "regular" satellite channels, games on special subscription such as NFL ST and the like, not so much
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,025 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:44 AM

To be honest, if you're really looking for a live streaming solution I'd vote for Sling over GenieGo. With Sling you have the ability for the system to dynamically adjust the picture quality to match the bandwidth available where with GenieGo it's fixed to the same PQ that it would used for transcoding recordings.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,411 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:47 AM

To be honest, if you're really looking for a live streaming solution I'd vote for Sling over GenieGo. With Sling you have the ability for the system to dynamically adjust the picture quality to match the bandwidth available where with GenieGo it's fixed to the same PQ that it would used for transcoding recordings.

which for me is a plus. the picture is good as it is, and since it does not require internet connection is always the same. Outside of network streaming will be adaptive
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#14 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,025 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:49 AM

which for me is a plus. the picture is good as it is, and since it does not require internet connection is always the same. Outside of network streaming will be adaptive

So you're saying that GenieGo out of home streaming will be adaptive like Sling is now?

#15 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,411 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:54 AM

So you're saying that GenieGo out of home streaming will be adaptive like Sling is now?

Yes
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#16 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,025 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:25 AM

So you're saying that GenieGo out of home streaming will be adaptive like Sling is now?

Yes

So it GenieGo can do on the fly streaming with better PQ then the transcoded file then it has now, does that mean there will be a change in transcoding speed making it faster? It would make sense if the hardware can do that in real time then why couldn't it do it for transcoding so it's not 1:1 as it is now.

#17 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:47 AM

Since I haven't seen either technologies (sling or geniego), and since GenieGo seems to be on the verge of evolving, I'm appreciating this conversation between Rad and peds48. Keep going, we're listening... :)

#18 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 311 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:59 PM

Since I haven't seen either technologies (sling or geniego), and since GenieGo seems to be on the verge of evolving, I'm appreciating this conversation between Rad and peds48. Keep going, we're listening... :)

+!

DirecTV Customer Since 1997

#19 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,411 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:05 PM

So it GenieGo can do on the fly streaming with better PQ then the transcoded file then it has now, does that mean there will be a change in transcoding speed making it faster? It would make sense if the hardware can do that in real time then why couldn't it do it for transcoding so it's not 1:1 as it is now.

AFAIK, the picture (outside streaming) will be the same as it is now(transcoding), which is very good for the smartphones and decent for laptops. Note that there is no app for tablets as of yet. The adaptive will come into place where you are streaming with poor WiFi coverage, note I said WiFi as the outside streaming will only work on WiFi on initial release. Transcoding process will remain the same, but you now have the ability to start the transcoding process "on the go"
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#20 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:08 PM

I didn't know about the lack of tablet apps. Price is also a factor. I've heard of folks getting GenieGo very cheap from DTV. slings look costly, especially for an occasional user. In the ideal world, we'd be able to play or stream all DTV content, AND maybe even airplay mirror it from an Ipad at a vacation house's TV.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...