Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

GenieGO Remote Streaming

DIRECTV GenieGO Nomad HDDVR Genie streaming slingbox

• Please log in to reply
359 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,015 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:04 PM

I remember back a few years to October 6, 2010 when I was asked to take a survey from DIRECTV and it was for a product called Nomad. I was excited to hear what was coming and it started this discussion: DIRECTV Nomad

I got an email today from Directv and it asked for my feedback, when I clicked on the link I was sent to a site to take a survey.

The survey asked questions about my equipment, my choice of smartphone and viewing habits. This is where is got interesting, the next group of questions were for something called Nomad, the ability to watch my recorded dvr content anywhere.

You could load a show onto your computer or phone and take it with you, watch it on an airplane. You could also stream content over a broadband connection and watch it on your phone or computer.

This sounds like it would be awesome!! Hopefully it doesn't take too long to implement.

geniego.png

Well, that last line from the quote has made me laugh a little ever since I made it. The Nomad, now GenieGO, was released to those with an iPhone or PC and it seemed like forever before there was any love for the Android folks, but that time finally came at the end of May 2013 for some Android devices. Things now seem to be moving a little quicker and DIRECTV is ready to release something we've all been wanting from the beginning, remote streaming. If you have a PC or iPhone, you will be able to watch anything that is recorded on your internet connected HDDVR or Genie from your WiFi connected device.  If the program is not already recorded on you Genie or HDDVR you can start the recording using the DIRECTV app and it will be available for streaming as soon as it shows in you list, even while it's recording.

iph_dvr_playlist1.jpg

Another new feature of the GenieGO/Nomad is the ability to select shows to prepare for download while you are away so they are ready to download to your device when you get home.  I even learned recently that you could download shows on up to three devices at the same time.  This is a great feature if you are not sure what device you will want to watch your show on, you can put it on you tablet, laptop or phone all at the same time.

iph_proginfo_download1.jpg

There will be a few minutes of setup the first time you attempt the GenieGO Out-of-Home access.  First select "GenieGO Out-of Home Access" and follow the instructions.  For most users this will be mostly automatic and will take no technical ability.  You will then be prompted to confirm access for each device you will want "Out-of-Home Access"

iph_video_playback1.jpg

New GenieGO manual is available here:  The new DTV manual for the GenieGo is at http://www.directv.c...ieGO_Manual.pdf

GenieGO Out-of Home is expected to be available for Mac and Android devices later this year but as always will not work with Jailbroken or Rooted devices.
laptop1_TIF.png

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 9,015 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:01 PM

This is expected to be available Thursday, June 27, 2013.

#3 OFFLINE   willardcpa

willardcpa

Legend

• Registered
  • 164 posts
  • LocationEugene, OR

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:07 PM

This is expected to be available Thursday, June 27, 2013.

So, here on the west coast, I'll be looking for it at 9pm local!!!! :righton:

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,280 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:11 PM

The GenieGo should have already received the update. DirecTV has control to put the updated PC version on their website, not so much for the iOS client.
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:32 PM

does this product feature live streaming - similar to Directv Anywhere - as well?  Does it work on a mobile data connection or only WiFi?

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,280 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:34 PM

does this product feature live streaming - similar to Directv Anywhere - as well? Does it work on a mobile data connection or only WiFi?

Not it wont. but can however "live" stream a show by using the scheduler app to set the recording then switch to the GenieGo app (Nomad) and play it from there. as of lunch, it will only support WiFi
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   don s

don s

Mentor

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:49 PM

Very nice, thanks !!  I may have to go order a GenieGO now.   This actually sounds useful.  The wonky "live streaming" workaround doesn't sound too bad as long as it works too.   Thanks for the info !

#8 OFFLINE   willardcpa

willardcpa

Legend

• Registered
  • 164 posts
  • LocationEugene, OR

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:06 PM

I see that they have a procedure explained on the DTV website under the "answer center" for setting up port forwarding on your router to enable "streaming recorded shows outside my home".   But apparently the app is still waiting for an update as the last step in the procedure is to go into "settings" and select "geniego outside of home access" and that's not an option yet in "settings"

It's here http://support.direc...etail/a_id/3875

#9 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,265 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:42 PM

Ohh... can't wait for tomorrow!! :)

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#10 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,888 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:49 PM

Although I think the recent Engadget article on this has it wrong;

http://www.engadget....ng-tv-anywhere/

Even with this update GenieGo is not a challenge (yet?) to the Slingbox as it doesn't allow remote streaming of programs over the internet.

The author must be confusing the new "GenieGO Out-of Home Access" feature which only allows the remote readying of shows for download when you return home with the ability to stream shows over the internet. 

Edited by HoTat2, 26 June 2013 - 10:51 PM.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#11 OFFLINE   willardcpa

willardcpa

Legend

• Registered
  • 164 posts
  • LocationEugene, OR

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:07 PM

Although I think the recent Engadget article on this has it wrong;

http://www.engadget....ng-tv-anywhere/

Even with this update GenieGo is not a challenge (yet?) to the Slingbox as it doesn't allow remote streaming of programs over the internet.

The author must be confusing the new "GenieGO Out-of Home Access" feature which only allows the remote readying of shows for download when you return home with the ability to stream shows over the internet. 

With all due respect.   I THINK thay you have it wrong - after tomorrows update to the Nomad, it will allow remote streaming of recorded programs over the internet.   And the "out of home access" will not "allows readying of shows for download when you return home"   It will allow for streaming of recorded shows to you when you are not home.   I don't think that it will provide you with an interface to "readying of shows for download", I think it will just allow you to stream what is already on the nomad, not add new ones to it, you have to be "home" to do that.   At least that's the way I understand it, and I've been reading the new manual that DTV has that includes the "out of home access" feature and how to set it up on page 12 of the manual.     But I could be wrong - we'll both see tomorrow!!!! :righton:

#12 OFFLINE   willardcpa

willardcpa

Legend

• Registered
  • 164 posts
  • LocationEugene, OR

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:10 PM

The new DTV manual for the GenieGo is at http://www.directv.c...ieGO_Manual.pdf

#13 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,888 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:40 PM

With all due respect.   I THINK thay you have it wrong - after tomorrows update to the Nomad, it will allow remote streaming of recorded programs over the internet.   And the "out of home access" will not "allows readying of shows for download when you return home"   It will allow for streaming of recorded shows to you when you are not home.   I don't think that it will provide you with an interface to "readying of shows for download", I think it will just allow you to stream what is already on the nomad, not add new ones to it, you have to be "home" to do that.   At least that's the way I understand it, and I've been reading the new manual that DTV has that includes the "out of home access" feature and how to set it up on page 12 of the manual.     But I could be wrong - we'll both see tomorrow!!!! :righton:

Fair enough;

But if so it won't be me who is wrong but the TS, Scott who wrote in the description above in the first post;

Another new feature of the GenieGO/Nomad is the ability to select shows to prepare for download while you are away so they are ready to download to your device when you get home.  I even learned recently that you could download shows on up to three devices at the same time.  This is a great feature if you are not sure what device you will want to watch your show on, you can put it on you tablet, laptop or phone all at the same time. ,,, There will be a few minutes of setup the first time you attempt the GenieGO Out-of-Home access.  First select "GenieGO Out-of Home Access" and follow the instructions.  For most users this will be mostly automatic and will take no technical ability.  You will then be prompted to confirm access for each device you will want "Out-of-Home Access"  ;) 

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#14 OFFLINE   tpm1999

tpm1999

Legend

• Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:13 AM

With remote online streaming I am finally going to buy a GenieGo (Nomad)!!!  I do have some questions though.

1.  I have an HR44.   So in practice I can connect my GenieGo directly to my router while my HR44 connects to it over Wifi (HR44 is currently connected over wifi).  The GenieGo does not physically connect to the DVR, correct (I see an ethernet port on its back and a usb port on pictures online)?

2.  Since I have a Genie, utilizing the Nomad will take up one of the tuners correct?  Is that at all times, or only when I am streaming/downloading?

3.  When is a native iPad app coming out?? Any general time frame...or to the very least is directv testing it now?  I can deal with an old misbranded iPhone app for now...but they should really at least update the app to have the correct name.

4.  Do I need to activate it by calling up Directv?  Or is it just plug it in and activate it with the app?  I would prefer to buy it online from a reseller (like solidsignal or ebay). 

HR44-500 Genie
2 C41W-100 Wireless Genie Minis and WVB
Genie Go
SWM Dish

#15 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 9,015 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:28 AM

[....]    But I could be wrong - we'll both see tomorrow!!!! :righton:

:)

#16 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,232 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:19 AM

With remote online streaming I am finally going to buy a GenieGo (Nomad)!!! I do have some questions though.

1. I have an HR44. So in practice I can connect my GenieGo directly to my router while my HR44 connects to it over Wifi (HR44 is currently connected over wifi). The GenieGo does not physically connect to the DVR, correct (I see an ethernet port on its back and a usb port on pictures online)?

2. Since I have a Genie, utilizing the Nomad will take up one of the tuners correct? Is that at all times, or only when I am streaming/downloading?

3. When is a native iPad app coming out?? Any general time frame...or to the very least is directv testing it now? I can deal with an old misbranded iPhone app for now...but they should really at least update the app to have the correct name.

4. Do I need to activate it by calling up Directv? Or is it just plug it in and activate it with the app? I would prefer to buy it online from a reseller (like solidsignal or ebay).

1. You hook the nomad to your router.
2. The nomad does not use one of your tuners.
3. No idea, but I use my iPad just fine with the current app.
4. Yes, you must call to get it activated on your account, but you can still buy it from 3rd party dealers. Last I checked, SolidSignal sells them for $99. Some have reported delays in getting a used nomad activated on their account; so you might only want to buy a new unit.

Edited by trh, 27 June 2013 - 05:32 AM.

#17 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,161 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:21 AM

GenieGo doesn't take up any tuners.  It does busy out a stream from an  HR while transcoding or streaming.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#18 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,405 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:13 AM

With all due respect.   I THINK thay you have it wrong - after tomorrows update to the Nomad, it will allow remote streaming of recorded programs over the internet.   And the "out of home access" will not "allows readying of shows for download when you return home" [...] I don't think that it will provide you with an interface to "readying of shows for download"

It will allow you to schedule new shows for download when "out of home".  It will not let you remotely copy the transcoded files to your client, however. You must be home for that. Only OOH (and local) streaming is supported at this time.

/steve

#19 OFFLINE   gpg

gpg

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,696 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:16 AM

So do I have to download a new PC app or will the old one automatically update?

HR24-200,HR23-700,HR21-200, HR21-100, HR34-700,
Sony KDS-R50XBR1,HDMI, LG 37LH40,HDMI Vizio 390-A1,HDMI,Sony KDL-40NX711, HDMI, Vizio VO320E, HDMI, SWM16 with DECA,
Sony STR-DG1000 AV Receiver optical cable connection for HR24-200, GenieGo

#20 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:26 AM

The new GenieGo app update is available now in the App Store...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DIRECTV, GenieGO, Nomad, HDDVR, Genie, streaming, slingbox

spam firewall